Legg Lake 5-Day Super SAW Event Wed Nov 5th-Sun Nov 9th

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaceMechaniX

Supporting Member
The Amigos are hosting a 5-day SAW event at Legg Lake in South El Monte Wednesday November 5th through Sunday November 9th. We are anticipating an international gathering of a selection of the fastest radio control model boats. We encourage all to participate or just come out and watch some of the fastest model boats worldwide.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Legg+Lake,+California+91733/@34.0300719,-118.0602484,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x80c2d0fe6ea6c6b7:0x78657a5d140fedf

We ask all contestants to pre-register with Mark Grim so we can get a head count particularly for food. Kim Grim will be serving up her 5 star BBQ several of the days and its reason enough to come even if you dont run.

The event is open to all NAMBA legal classes Nitro, Gas and Electric. NAMBA membership and proof of current standing is required so please bring your card. Single event coverage is available onsite.

7372 Natal Drive, Westminster, CA 92683

714-615-9974

[email protected]

Due to its size and expected high speeds we are adding several specific rules to the event.

1. All boats will go through a pre-tech to check for general rules compliance

a. Hull classification

b. NAMBA numbers, appropriate lettering per class specifics

c. Radio/electrical tidiness (i.e. solid connections, good mounting, no rats nests)

d. Mechanicals (pushrods, mounts, etc)

e. General battery tech for FE boats

2. At the beginning of each day we will define a running order for all the contestants.

a. The on deck and in the back-up will be called for each run.

b. The CD may amend per conditions as necessary.

c. A driver may pass on a run, but must wait till the next turn to run.

d. A driver may run multiple boats within the 5 minute window

e. A driver may relaunch within the 5 minute window

f. Drivers cannot switch spots in line.

g. It is suggested if you are helping a competitor and are a contestant you space yourself by several people in the running order.

3. Contestants will have 5 minutes from the time their name is called to launch and run their boat.

a. FE boats should be taped in advance

b. Some leniency will be granted to drivers where the previous driver has skipped a turn.

c. The CD has the right to amend as necessary.

4. Contestants must have a launcher/spotter. This may be different people, but a spotter is absolutely required for any pass. The host club will be happy to assist any contestant or appoint a local racer with sufficient knowledge of the lake.

5. No High Voltage cells will be allowed at any time

a. FE boats will be subject to a pre-tech before they tape up. Individual cell voltages cannot under any circumstance exceed 4.23V/cell. A simple cell checker will be used. If any cell is at 4.23V, a Fluke DVM will be used as a secondary check to confirm.

b. There will be random checks in the pits for excessive charging. Competitors must be willing to show the maximum voltage charge per cell in their charger to an inspector.

6. Safe Charging and lipo handling

a. Prewarming is allowed, but limited to 140F.

b. Prewarming must be performed in a safe manner no exceptions.

c. Charging in Lipo Bags or fireproof container is recommended.

d. Lipos when unconnected will have at minimum one lead covered by a cap or shield to prevent accidental shorting to the opposite lead.

7. FE Pre-tech:

a. Prior to a run a FE competitor will request a pre-tech before they tape up.

b. An inspector will walk to the contestants pit area when they will check cell voltages for compliance prior to a run.

c. The inspector will have a pre-filled card for that boat to verify it was checked prior to a run.

d. The card will be used again for the post tech.

8. Following a record run boat

a. A nitro or Gas boat will be tagged by the CD. The contestant can continue to run, but may not teardown the motor or remove from the boat unless in the presence of an inspector appointed by the CD.

b. An FE boat must be placed near the timing table and untapped in the presence of an approved inspector. The inspector will verify pack voltage and electrical connection per class rules. The tech card will be filled out and approved.

9. Priority runs towards the end of the event.

a. Starting Saturday afternoon we will initiate a priority list for running for those close to their respective records to take advantage of prime water.

b. Previous runs during the event will qualify a contestant for the short list

c. We will use a 5% rule for proximity; however the CD may alter as necessary.

We reserve the right to amend these rules so check back prior to the event.

NAMBA SAW Rules Nov 5th-9th Legg Lake 2014-09-30.pdf

Attachments

• NAMBA SAW Rules Nov 5th-9th Legg Lake 2014-09-30.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 19
Now THAT is a "mother-flippin" set of rules! (in my best "Ricky Bobby" impersonation...
default_smile.png
)

Nicely done, Amigos! Looking forward to a WEEK in the sun!!

Three weeks to go and I have butterflies in my tummy already!!!
default_tongue.png
One gas rigger, ready to test. (hope to get close to 100mph) & One nitro rigger, (gear drive, 10% over) still trying to break into that 125mph club
default_wink.png
If you have not seen a model boat travel 330ft. at 140+mph you need to be here to see it for yourself, just don't "BLINK"
default_laugh.png

IT'S GONNA BE A BLAST!!!

Don
default_smile.png

Looking forward to it!

Should be some real fun and laughs

Can't wait to see some of the fast stuff run

Regards Aaron

Just keep building, just keep building, just keep buuuuildddding buiiiilllllding building....

20141002_193738.jpg

20141015_171533.jpg

20141015_204408.jpg

20141015_204453.jpg

Darin

I just finished building my new SAW boat yesterday:(

So looks like first time in water will be LA..

Untested, and never ran this combo before.. O well.. Lol..

Good times ahead..

Regards Aaron

Good Luck to you all. If for some reason you do not get enough running in and still feel the need for SPEED feel free to come on down south to the Huntsville, AL records trial November 29 & 30 with open water set for Nov 28 from noon to 4pm. Contact Bill Zuber via PM on here if your interested.

The total head count I have right now is 19 people running. Please let me know if I am missing anyone. My apologies if I misspelled anyone's name.

1. Tyler Garrard

2. Mark Grim

3. Tony Heller

4. Boyd Marshall

5. Brian Neal

6. Jim Johnson

7. O-Donnells

8. Don Maher

9. Darin Jordan

10. Mark F

11. Jay Turner

12. Wilmer Oixdean

13. Manuel Wenny

14. Marko

15. Andreas Lehner

16. Ralf Moser

17. Kris Flynn

18. Aaron Alberico

19. Brad Nichols

Does anyone know Brad? I don't know what he needs for equipment.

TG

Tyler,

Jack Goukassian (J/G Motors) will also attend. Scott Bouchie may make the show for one for the days, not sure on this.
default_happy.png

Don
default_smile.png

Aaron, I can't make it today, but will be there at 6am tomorrow. Dang large high pressure system has moved in right over us.
default_mad.gif
May have a bit of wind tomorrow
default_mellow.png

Don
default_smile.png

A little birdie told me that the big number has been reached. Tyler ran 142 mph with a 143 mph backup. 142.94 mph average.

That one is well earned, congrats my friend.

Tyler,

The record could not go to a better person.

I know you earned it. Congratulations,

Mark Sholund

Back