FE Whiplash prop size ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Hi Guys,

There are 3 of us in New Zealand building Whiplash for FE, and i was just wanting to get an idea what size props Brian was running on his for SAW's and coursing on Neu motor ? :huh:

also what size props are u using on 8xl or 9xl Feigo motors on 4s Lipo ? :huh:

Hi Guys,There are 3 of us in New Zealand building Whiplash for FE, and i was just wanting to get an idea what size props Brian was running on his for SAW's and coursing on Neu motor ? :huh:

Not sure what size prop Brian was runnin for SAWS, but I gaurantee it was a highly modified "Snowman" version (meaning it no longer resembles the original prop!). My understanding is Larry Jaques from Toronto was turning a modified X642 running a 7XL last year and was running in the low 60's.

All the best,

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Hacker 7XL - 2200KV- with water cooling

4S2P - 4350mA

ESC 125CC, with water cooling

X640 - detounged - S+B

X642 - MODIFIED

62MPH = 100K

Larry J.

...also what size props are u using on 8xl or 9xl Feigo motors on 4s Lipo ?
For oval racing not over 2 minutes, try these - x442 or x640 on the 8XL and x445 or x642 on the 9XL. A lot depends on how well the boat is setup. DO NOT USE SAW Record setups on your boats unless you understand their limitations! You get two full passes - try just one more and you may destroy your cells! Work up to the prop slowly and do not expect to hit 95 mph without a lot of work....and a few crashes. :eek:

Hacker 7XL - 2200KV- with water cooling4S2P - 4350mA

ESC 125CC, with water cooling

X640 - detounged - S+B

X642 - MODIFIED

62MPH = 100K

Larry J.
PS- This is my oval setup, we race 1 mile (6 laps on a 1/6 coarse, with a full lap mill)

Larry

Thanks for your help guys will continue building and let you know how it goes :)

Hi Guys,There are 3 of us in New Zealand building Whiplash for FE, and i was just wanting to get an idea what size props Brian was running on his for SAW's and coursing on Neu motor ? :huh:

Thanks all for all the great feedback ,very very helpfull. :)

I am one of the 3 building the Whiplash but Brian had not got any cowls for us ,so we are having to build our own, has any one got a picture or photo of the stealth cowl that was for the Whiplash???.that would make it a little easier :rolleyes:

very nice kit by the way, easy to build.

I think I will try a Feigao 7xl on 4s in mine!! :ph34r:

cheers

Graham

Auckland NZ

With the Feigao 7xl I would stay with a Detounged S+B X638, or X440.

Larry

Hi Guys,

Finally got the Whiplash on the water today,our club had speedruns on, it was a little rough so i used the time for testing and running.

but not sure on why my set-up was not going as fast as i expected.

set-up was

Nemisis 7XL out on 4S 1P ( 4500MAH 20C )

COG 18mm behind sponsons

Strut 17mm down from the bottom to C/line of strut 2 deg down angle

Tried a X637, X440, x442 and a X642

the X642 was the only prop that it seemed to like and get any reasonable speed, so ran it thru the traps but speed was only 39.77 mph (it was rough )

was expecting speeds around 50+

Tried my Feigao 9XL on same setup with X645 prop it definitely had better speed ( did'nt have GPS in or do run thru traps )

any ideas on improving set-ups ?

any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Jason,

The cg at 18mm seems a bit too far forward. The instructions for mine put it at more like 55mm behind the sponsons (it's measured from the transom, I can't remember the figure offhand). I am building mine so the cg is about 50mm behind the sponsons.

Cheers,

Scott

Jason,
The cg at 18mm seems a bit too far forward. The instructions for mine put it at more like 55mm behind the sponsons (it's measured from the transom, I can't remember the figure offhand). I am building mine so the cg is about 50mm behind the sponsons.

Cheers,

Scott

Yes looked at that but after everybody i talked to told me that they needed weight in nose to hold them on the water, i decided to copy my 1/8TH scale and sport 45 putting the cg at a point where they both run real fast and in the rough ( you seen the conditions last time you where here, not always that bad but )

maybe my idea for cg is wrong on the whip, but it still drives off on its own without a hand launch.

maybe built it bit on porky side at 7lb RTR

what motor are you looking at running ?

One thing i am impressed with is how these boats handle the rough it rode dead flat with water, hopefully Graham got some video i can put on Youtube.

I was going to use this boat for Trans Tasman challenge as well as repower with Neu 1521/1D 4S 2P for sport running, but if cant work it out shortly might have to start building scaled down version of my sport 45 to bring across ;)

Jason

If the cg is easy to change, move it back a bit and see what happens. Yes, I remember some of those water conditions! :blink:

Mine will have a 1515/1Y for club racing, and a Nemesis 8XL for the Trans Tasman. I really need to finish that boat....

Heath has his running well, so I'll see what CG he has set. His flies nice and level in the chop too - they're a great hull!

Scott i can shift cg back to 40mm behind sponsons easy, iwill do that and try after work tommorrow.

Let me know what Heath has for strut depth cg etc

If anybody else running these can point out ideas on what strut depth /cg /prop size /motor they are running it would be appreciated ;)

Ok shifted the CG back and had a run this afternoon, not sure on weather my Nemisis 7XL is up to the job :unsure: , best speed i could get was 39.12 MPH on GPS on X640 the X637 was slower so was X642 , so put 9XL in and done 42.44 MPH on an X645 prop , didnt really want to put much bigger prop on untill sure about currents etc .

So doing around the same speeds roughly with CG change, no real difference there :blink:

Tried a few strut depths and props, i think these boats might need a lot more power :huh:

I talked to Brian yesterday and he said he likes the CG at about 3/4" behind the sponsons. Here is exactly what he said.

Hello Ray,

I like to be about 3/4" behind the sponsons. Not very critcal on the boat though.

Brian

Just thought I would share what the designer thinks.

Just a though, are you cells up to the job? I know Truckpull was running a 7XL with 4s and getting over 50mph. I see that you are running 20c cells on a 7XL so maybe your voltage is dropping down to far under a load. Have you tried a Data logger to see if the cells are keeping up? What brand Lipo's are you running? So far MOST of the Whips I have seen setup and running are using 4s2p lipo.

Latest posts

Back