2 Stroke Oil

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo Whalen

Supporting Member
Trying to locate some Morgan Cool Power Blue 2 stroke oil... have contacted Morgan Fuels and heard nothing back. Wondering if this green oil they make is

the same thing. I want to add 20% castor to it, so think I might want the medium or low viscosity for plain bearing con rods.

Anyone know of a source for this stuff?... surely don't want to be reduced to using Klotz products.

Thanks-

Tim

Personally, I like the Klotz products.

Al Hobbs
Al, I was considering mixing Klotz KL-198 (Techniplate Lite) with 20% castor for a total lube package of 18% in this plain bearing con rod 45 engine, 50%-60% nitro. The synthetic in the

Super Techniplate (w/20% castor added) is a higher viscosity.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim

Check with John Otto at Technology Fuels, he's had most Morgan products.

Thanks John
Wow, that's great, John...Thank you!... yeah, I would use Klotz as a last resort. Been talking to an engineer at Red Line Oil and they are in the midst of reformulating

their methanol/nitro compatible oil. It's ester based and low viscosity. They suggested the shear and film strength exceeds castor, but I would add a dollop of castor to it

anyway. The swept volume fuel charge is greatly enhanced with their product and the engines are spotless on tear down with Red Line...at least with their 2 Stroke

Racing formula and large outboards, snowmobiles, and karts.

Yeah, I need to order some parts from John, anyway, and I'll quiz him about the oil, too.

Appreciate your input, John.

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tim

Thanks John
Wow, that's great, John...Thank you!... yeah, I would use Klotz as a last resort. Been talking to an engineer at Red Line Oil and they are in the midst of reformulating their methanol/nitro

compatible oil. It's ester based and low viscosity. They suggested the shear and film strength exceeds castor, but I would add a dollop of castor to it anyway. The swept volume fuel charge

is greatly enhanced with their product and the engines are spotless on tear down with Red Line...at least with their 2 Stroke Racing formula and large outboards, snowmobiles, and karts.

Yeah, I need to order some parts from John, anyway, and I'll quiz him about the oil, too.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim I've been using Red Line in my giant scale gasser airplanes for years, great stuff. I have many friends who's families are still involved in racing outboards and karts and all use it. In the fuel outboards I started using Klotz when John Klotz first started the business with Klotz Techniplate and I've continued to use Klotz products for all nitro model activities whether heli's, planes or boats and all nitro percentages. I use their Benol caster as well.

Thanks, John

Hi Tim

Thanks John
Wow, that's great, John...Thank you!... yeah, I would use Klotz as a last resort. Been talking to an engineer at Red Line Oil and they are in the midst of reformulating their methanol/nitro

compatible oil. It's ester based and low viscosity. They suggested the shear and film strength exceeds castor, but I would add a dollop of castor to it anyway. The swept volume fuel charge

is greatly enhanced with their product and the engines are spotless on tear down with Red Line...at least with their 2 Stroke Racing formula and large outboards, snowmobiles, and karts.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim I've been using Red Line in my giant scale gasser airplanes for years, great stuff. I have many friends who's families are still involved in racing outboards and karts and all use it. In the fuel outboards I started using Klotz when John Klotz first started the business with Klotz Techniplate and I've continued to use Klotz products for all nitro model activities whether heli's, planes or boats and all nitro percentages. I use their Benol caster as well.

Thanks, John
John, yes Klotz has been around for ages... it was the go to stuff with the snowmobiles and karts back in the 60's and 70's.

I think the synthetic technology has improved throughout the decades. I've heard that this Maxima Racing Oil Castor 927 is great stuff, too. It's a castor blended with an

ester based synthetic and a top secret ingredient. It has a really interesting SDS profile-

http://www.maximausa.com/product/castor-927/

Components Content % CAS Number

Castor Oil 50-70 8001-79-4
Modified Fatty Acid Ester <50 Proprietary
Multifunctional Additive Mixture 10-20 Mixture
The specific identity and/or exact percentage has been withheld as a trade secret.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim

Thanks John

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks, John
John, yes Klotz has been around for ages... it was the go to stuff with the snowmobiles and karts back in the 60's and 70's.

I think the synthetic technology has improved throughout the decades. I've heard that this Maxima Racing Oil Castor 927 is great stuff, too. It's a castor blended with an

ester based synthetic and a top secret ingredient. It has a really interesting SDS profile-

The specific identity and/or exact percentage has been withheld as a trade secret.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim do you know the viscosity of this castor? I've heard about a new castor that is really thin but don't know any details or if anyone has tried it in model engines.

Thanks, John

Hi Tim

Thanks John

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks, John

Thanks,

Tim
Tim do you know the viscosity of this castor? I've heard about a new castor that is really thin but don't know any details or if anyone has tried it in model engines.

Thanks, John
John, sorry, but at this point, I don't... all we know definitely is that the smaller plain con rod bearing engines have a whole different lubricity requirement than the roller

con rod engines do. The commonality, of course, is the shearing between the piston and liner.

The engineer's at Red Line don't even want to talk about castor, as they are geared 100% toward synthetics. They claim that quality synthetics have eclipsed any

physical properties specifics of castor oil.

Although mechanical engineering is our background, educationally and professionally, the engineering field of tribology is a specialty. Not sure we want to invest in that

study beyond a layman's view. I just know that the crank pin/ con rod bearing interface options in these engines have two different lubrication requirements.

Anything I learn we'll certainly pass it on. Longevity in today's high priced engines is paramount to me.

Thanks,

Tim

I suggest trying to get consistent suppliers of one oil (have you ever tried to buy REDLINE oils??) Nothing's worse that getting an oil then finding out you can't get it again. Motul Micro is a good oil bit supply in my country is absolutely useless! One guy i know calls COOLPOWER oil CRUELPOWER. But KLOTZ kl100 works for me! And any man that bags Castor oil doesn't know what he's talking about in my opinion!! Big oil companies are steering away from castor oil because its becoming harder to get and I've heard a type of toxic gas can be made out of it called Ricin! (bring on the chemists!!) I spoke off the record to a guy at a company thats name was derived from CASTOR OIL who told me because of terrorism bulls**t castor oils have been UNOFFICIALLY flagged on watchlists! I would love to hear if anyone else has heard this??

I suggest trying to get consistent suppliers of one oil (have you ever tried to buy REDLINE oils??) Nothing's worse that getting an oil then finding out you can't get it again. Motul Micro is a good oil bit supply in my country is absolutely useless! One guy i know calls COOLPOWER oil CRUELPOWER. But KLOTZ kl100 works for me! And any man that bags Castor oil doesn't know what he's talking about in my opinion!! Big oil companies are steering away from castor oil because its becoming harder to get and I've heard a type of toxic gas can be made out of it called Ricin! (bring on the chemists!!) I spoke off the record to a guy at a company thats name was derived from CASTOR OIL who told me because of terrorism bulls**t castor oils have been UNOFFICIALLY flagged on watchlists! I would love to hear if anyone else has heard this??
We've used Red Line Racing 2 Stroke in many other applications outside of these glow engines with considerable success. They do make an oil

that is compatible with alcohol and nitro, called 2 Cycle Alcohol. At present, it's undergoing reformulation.

Not all 2 stroke oils blend with methanol and nitromethane. Klotz products do, and they even offer their Techniplate in two formulas,

depending on what base viscosity one desires, in cSt (centistokes). Their Super Techniplate product is Techniplate with 20% BeNol

added.

Morgan's Cool Power Blue will, too, as it was originally formulated for methanol and gasoline kart engines. It would seem wise to add

10%-20% castor oil to any pure POE synthetic, due to the nature of our piston/liner designs. There is an extreme amount of

shearing pressure occurring as the piston approaches TDC within the liner. Castor oil also forms a somewhat protective barrier coating

on our bearings to partially withstand the effects of nitromethane by-products, among other anomalies.

Regarding castor oil, about 90% of the fatty acid content in castor oil is the triglyceride formed from ricinoleic acid, and is manufactured

for industries by saponification or fractional distillation of hydrolyzed castor oil. It is the castor seed that contains ricin, a toxic protein.

The first cold pressed degummed quality of the better lubricating castor oils (B/AA scale) is considered for industrial lubrication.

The only time you may encounter an issue with ricin poisoning is with oils of subsequent pressings, whereas the seeds are impinged.

I'm sorry, but we can't concur on the statement of castor oil 'becoming harder to get', nor on the statement pertaining to terrorism.

Castor oil, nor the manufacturing facilities, have no regulatory info issued by DHS Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards (CFATS).

We're afraid that's smoke and mirrors info. People will tell you anything to sway you away from a product and over to something more

lucrative from a corporate perspective. It's today's version of salesmanship, and it's sad.

Thanks-

TW

Castrol M no longer available in Australia! Shell Advance racing M no longer available in Australia! And Redline oil imported by Rocket Industries in Australia is impossible to get! I have no idea what the USA get? No smoke n mirrors here! It's the facts but seems you know what your talking about. Also when was the last time you tried purchasing castor oils in Australia?

Castrol M no longer available in Australia! Shell Advance racing M no longer available in Australia! And Redline oil imported by Rocket Industries in Australia is impossible to get! I have no idea what the USA get? No smoke n mirrors here! It's the facts but seems you know what your talking about. Also when was the last time you tried purchasing castor oils in Australia?
Aah, I see, Bradley...didn't know you were from down under. Whole different story.

Here in the States everything is pretty much available yet. We do have HAZMAT fees and a bit of forms to fill out on

nitromethane purchase through mail order, but they don't mess with you too much on small quantities.

Torco Fuels is selling nitro and methanol on eBay. I would think Klotz and Red Line would be available there, too.

Can you guys get Maxima 927 Castor oil over there?... I've never tried it, but have heard it's excellent.

It has a secret additive in it that's protected-

Thanks-

TW

Yep Maxima is no problem and a mate is just producing his own oils called C4 racing castor (Jason Crump ex world solo speedway champion) he ran the ROCK oils stuff for years. Torco and Redline do some good stuff but the stupid thing is 10 year's ago they where 10 times easier to get! Here is an example of what goes on in Australia. I used to drink a bourbon called George Dickel. Beat Jack Daniels in many bourbon whiskey taste offs in the USA! So Jack Daniels purchased the Australian distribution rights for George Dickel and then refused to ever import it!! Remington Rifles is another example we get all the seconds that the USA can't sell or refuse to take!! Guy's in the USA would argue the point over stuff like this! But it's true! I used to smoke Camel filterless soft packs!(still would if they imported them!!) But now we get some Japanese Camel filters that are made in Poland!! They DON'T EVEN TASTE LIKE CAMEL! It will only get worse before it gets better!

Back