Speedmaster .21 wins in NC

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Byer

After all the hype about the testing of the new Speedmaster .21 I had to tell you about our first race of the season. I won 2 of our 3 heats this past weekend, the other was lost because of an early launch and too much mill time, I ran out of fuel between 4 and 5 bouys on the last lap in the lead, would have won, maybe. I'm very impressed by this hull and Mac .21 motors. Build it like the instructions say and it's a winner, as much as I hate to follow the directions I did it this time and it worked.

Mike

Congrats Mike on the win! I thought that I had mine ready to go but it looks like I will have to put in the hopper tank now. Hopefully I'll have it in the water this weekend, the weather man says sunny skies and warm temps FINALLY!

Great going Mike! I just got back from my first run with mine! GaaaWLee Sargeant Carter! Once I got the carb dialed it it flat-out hauled! Started with a 440/3 and then tried a 640 and a 642. It was running in 15-20 MPH winds with no sweat, no chine walking or other problems. No trim tabs or turn fin and could almost turn a square corner!

Not so hot day with the 7.5 OB though. A brand new reciever pack took a dump in a turn and put the boat on the shore (see previous post).

Don't even want to talk about the 7.5 Microburst but I will. The K-45 motor blew up shortly after firing it up at home to break it in. It's now on it's way to Al Hobbs to see what happened. Gonna be 'spensive to fix I think!

Hey Ron, way ta go dude, sounds like ya got a good hull there!!!!!

On the engine thing, this is gettin weird, Two friends of mine one with a OPS and the other with a K@B all 7.5's blew or broke during break in some not even lasting 2 minutes, both guy's are sharp cookies and know how to break one in the correct way too!!!!!

What in the heck is going on with the manufactures anyhow??? Have they forgot what QC means???

Gene > :(

the K&B's that came out of the old plant had some problems with the cranks and sleeves not being square to each other. K&B was trying to blame the owners on various things such as out-of-balance props for the motors blowing so that they would not have to honor their warranty. I know of a guy with the old Grand Rapids Wave Runners club that had a buddy of his check out his blown 7.5 on a CNC machine and found the problem. don't tell me about the OPS problem though. A local Hobby Shop offered me a new OPS 7.5 for $185.00. It's been sitting in their showcase for a few years and they want to unload it. I don't know if they had trouble with that older model or not.

Okay, I'll remember that next year when I replace this tired Nova Rossi. I might be looking at the new K-21 (not K&B, the Russian motor) coming out soon.

Well I am done with K@B, : :)

So the choice is down to three, :eek:

MAC, Rossi or a CMB :-

Guess it comes down to which is fast for me, ;)

Gene ;D

ok just 1 more time MAC motors. or cmb it's step brother. for me it all comes down to who has the stuff when I need it. Andy Brown, and Tidewater are always able to help with motors and parts, no matter what time of the season it is. try that with a picco or some of the others that only bring in a hand full of motors and parts. all the mfg. have supply trouble from time to time, but some have those times more often than others, or should I warehouse $5000 worth of motors and parts so I can run for a season?

Mike Byer

Yep, got to agree with ya on that one, Nothing gets my goat quicker than to sit and wait for parts.

Andy has fast stuff thats for sure and he cares about his customers, which is very important if you want to stay in business any length of time.

I honestly dont know know which way the next project will take me, but it's good to know ol' Andys stuff is there for the pickin when you need it.

Gene ;D

Mike,

Maybe you have some idea, but isn't CMB going to bring the greenhead Valvola to the US next year which will compete directly with the MAC? I know my new CMB LS O/B measures up nearly the same as the MAC 21, save the rear exhaust of course. It seems to me that for the 20 boats NR and MAC/CMB are the good choices. Given the goofy NR rear bearing, I will eventually end up with CMB/MAC on all my 20.

Regards,

Rick

I know what Synthon is talking about with the rear bearing in the Long stroke Nova - very pricey due to the odd size - must be made outta gold!

The Valvola is available in Australia BUT it is for gear drive set-ups in FSRV. I think the rotor would need to be changed to get them running the right way around.

The thing I like about the MAC / Valvola is having a drum rotor and the exhaust header being a smaller i.d. (good for power)

Back