More than you wanted to know about motors

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foolwitools

Hi Guys!

I put up a post on another board asking how to mod my Zenoah 260.

i go ta very interesting e-mail I in response to that post.

This is an unbelievable amount of information!! this pertains to nitro motors too!

the e-mail comes from a guy known as Fastratporting...

Its 83 pages on Acrobat..........takes a while to download, but you'll find it interesting!!

This is the E-mail:(I hope the link works.)

"this book just sold on ebay for over $150 its no longer in print and is very hard to find

when you open the link down load 2stroketunershandbook.pdf

this will tell you more about mods than you'll ever wanna know ..here is the link"

http://www.edj.net/2stroke/jennings/

Bob the Fool :blink:

:p Have the original book, and have for 20 ++ years !!

I agree, great info .... Somewhat dated for a lot of subjects, but the basic engine tech is Need to Know stuff !!

:rolleyes: Scott

On the pipe length,just remember that the pressure wave generated by the burning gas/air mixture travels about 30% faster than the one from our nitro based fuels.

Bob,

Just remember to run 8oz of oil to a gal. I use HP2 oil

The Mod Zens seem to like lower octane, coleman fuel.

nitrotoys said:
Bob,

76461[/snapback]

:blink:

~James

krpnova said:
On the pipe length,just remember that the pressure wave generated by the burning gas/air mixture travels about 30% faster than the one from our nitro based fuels.
76452[/snapback]

That's good information. It never would have occured to me.

nitrotoys said:
Bob,

76461[/snapback]

Is coleman fuel legal in gas class??? I thought it had to be pump gas. Scott

:( Coleman fuel / White gas, is the latest thing to be used for fuel in the Zenoah modified engines.

Bacicly a highly refined naptha, it has a lower octain, and burns very fast, that in the low compression world of modified Zenoahs makes MORE POWER !!

You would be asking for disaster running in a QD or J&G billet engine that has higher compression :(

*** It is NOT legal fuel to race with :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Like many of the Fuel wars of past among the gas guys, this one too will be hard to police it's use.

Have been in talks with some IMPBA guys, Namba too, that the honor system is the best we can do at this time in not having guys using it.

My personal feelings of it's use, legality aside.

It does make a tad more power, and runs cooler too. Not run 100% but a gallon or so of 50/50 at a 20:1 oil mix.

:p Yup ......... Another year of squabbling among those wanting to be on top ....... Who me ~ CHEAT ? ......... Never ...... I can hear it allready. :blink:

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
A more modern book that is in print is Two Stroke Performance Tuning by A. Grahm Bell.

In NAMBA the fuel for gas classes is specified as "gasoline having an octane rating no higher than" 100 for the G classes and 117 for the GX classes. There is a system for protesting anyone who may be using illegal fuel. Drag racers and karters have instruments that can easily tell if nitro and similar performance additives are being used. Though we tried some VP fuel's U-2 during our Legg Lake record runs, plain 97 octane pump gas worked well and pushed the boat over 110. Quickdraw has seen detonation cause power loss with continuous dyno running on pump gas. We had no problems for our short runs.

Lohring Miller

lohring said:
A more modern book that is in print is Two Stroke Performance Tuning by A. Grahm Bell.

76586[/snapback]

Great book! Good info covering many aspects of 2 stroke performance engines. I got a copy from amazon.com.

For instance, the reason for the increased pressure wave speed stated above in gasoline motors is the due to their higher exhaust gas temperatures over nitro/alcohol motors. The pipe's pulse wave always travels at the speed of sound, and the speed of sound in air is directly related to temperature.

Ah, the more I learn, the faster I go. Well, that's the theory anyway :D

Those are both pretty good books.....

I would recommend a book by Gordon P. Blair called Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines.

It’s a solid book that covers everything thoroughly and backs up everything with lots of formulae developed by the Japanese research over the last few decades.

It also gives you access to some computer programs and models for Loop draw, qub cross-engine draw, exhaust flow analysis, wave flow, superposition, friction & heat transfer, squish velocity, hemi-sphere chamber, hemi-flat chamber, bathtub chamber add Infiniti tem.

good sleeping aid too :)

Latest posts

Back