Nova 21's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Byer

What's everyone like for a Nova 21 forward exhaust engine? Ron's got quite a few to choose from on his website, hard to pick just one.

mb

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right, so many choices, Ive avoided the 21s for years and only started to dabble in them when NR introduced the DD rear exhaust unit. For the most part because of the build cleanness of rear exhaust. The DD has been good to me but wasnt easy to find its sweet spot and a pipe it liked.

I too would be interested to know what others like and in the wrap around design.

If the p/s is still the same as it was before, I would recommend the T21M (commonly called the Hybrid). It has the case, crank, etc of the 35+, but with the single exhaust sleeve that gives a significant increase in torque. Or the basic 5 Port is an awesome motor and is the best performance per dollar of any motor! I would avoid the KEEP. The super wide exhaust port causes low torque.

The DD is still the best performing.

IMHO,

GQ

I agree the 5 port is one impressive motor right out of the box. Plus an awesome price. You cant beat it.

Mike, I went through the same thing you did when I was shopping for a nova Rossi there are so many to pick from. I asked the same question a while back. I almost bought the T 35 plus, but I did buy the keep MP since everyone I know like their DD I was thinking it was the same engine except it Not having the PTO . Glenn, are you saying the sleeve in the keep is different than the one in the DD ? If so can I put a sleeve from the DD in the keep? the bore and stroke and the other specs seem to be the same.

Mike,

I agree with Glenn's assessments above with a couple of clarifications. The Hybrid dollar=for-dollar is an awesome engine, but one of my best overall performers for a front exhaust, is still the 35 PLUS. It has the same P/S that is now used in the HYBRID, but has the tuned crank as well, which gets the average boater in the game without cutting and grinding. The HYBRID still has the one piece solid crank. Also the KEEP 21M, although a little short on torque, is extremely popular for hydro "high RPM" "lower torque" setups. As was mentioned above, the 21 DD rearward exhaust is the most popular 21 engine ever. Thank you.

Mike, I went through the same thing you did when I was shopping for a nova Rossi there are so many to pick from. I asked the same question a while back. I almost bought the T 35 plus, but I did buy the keep MP since everyone I know like their DD I was thinking it was the same engine except it Not having the PTO . Glenn, are you saying the sleeve in the keep is different than the one in the DD ? If so can I put a sleeve from the DD in the keep? the bore and stroke and the other specs seem to be the same.
James, it is all about setup. The KEEP 21M is very popular in the right setup, as with the other engines. The 21 KEEP M, and the 21 KEEP OB, both share the same P/S setup and head buttons and are not interchangeable with the DD which has a slightly larger diameter.

Latest posts

Back