Flow Meter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Schofield

Could someone please enlighten me in how this flow meter works? The funds do not allow for a nice boris flow meter so this will have to do for now. Looks to be in very good condition. Thank you in advance.

Matt 20170926_201620.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We set our Magnehelic to 40 and then flow the needle.

Wide Open Throttle and Plug removed. That's how we used our Bar O Meter. As accurate as the Boris

Hey Sam, does it matter if you leave the plug in when you read the meter? I have always done it with the plug in.

Sam,

When using my buddies boris meter we set a CMB .67 to flow at 80.. Am I looking for the same number on this unit?

Hey Matt:

That old school meter works great, even looks like you got a regulator with it!

Plug it in the fuel line upstream of the needle, open the carb fully and set the pressure on the magnehelic gauge to 40" Hg. Read the flow on the flow meter.

Just for comparison my 20 mono flows at around 5, 40 hydro 6.5 and 90 at 8 or so. My 67 SAW hydro on 70% in real good air needs 11+ (off the meter). I like to set my 3rd channel needles up so the range is +/- 1 unit either side of the 'base" value. When the air density goes up of down you'll of course need to lean (less flow) or richen (more flow) to compensate.

Ain't nitro fun?
default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Matt,

Same type of flow meter we've been using for 30 years and still use today. On our .67 scale we flow around 7.5 with it set at 40. That should get you close.

Sam,

When using my buddies boris meter we set a CMB .67 to flow at 80.. Am I looking for the same number on this unit?
No. They flow opposite.
On this Boris meter the lower the number the richer.

On what you have the higher the richer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Matt,

Same type of flow meter we've been using for 30 years and still use today. On our .67 scale we flow around 7.5 with it set at 40. That should get you close.
Thank you Mike. Will give it a go this weekend.

Hey Matt:

That old school meter works great, even looks like you got a regulator with it!

Plug it in the fuel line upstream of the needle, open the carb fully and set the pressure on the magnehelic gauge to 40" Hg. Read the flow on the flow meter.

Just for comparison my 20 mono flows at around 5, 40 hydro 6.5 and 90 at 8 or so. My 67 SAW hydro on 70% in real good air needs 11+ (off the meter). I like to set my 3rd channel needles up so the range is +/- 1 unit either side of the 'base" value. When the air density goes up of down you'll of course need to lean (less flow) or richen (more flow) to compensate.

Ain't nitro fun?
default_tongue.png
Thanks Terry! The 40 hydro now goes around the pond respectively. Randy helped me with his nitro notes from the early 90s at the fort Richie race the past weekend.

I've had both . Develop your own base line and work from there . I like my Boris gen 2 meter , keeps me in the ballpark . I flow before and after every run after flushing the filter which I do every run . For me it is a very helpful tool to keep consistent .

One thing to note. You will need to keep an eye on the magnahelic gauge. As you adjust your needle rich or lean the magnahelic will move off the 40 mark. Keep tweeking it back to 40 and take your readings on the flow gauge. Takes a bit of practice but not difficult. Make sure your propane bottle is vertical when using it. And carry a spare bottle.. sucks when you run out in the middle of a reading...lol

Mark,

I was wondering if I had to keep adjusting it to go back to 40 on the mag meter. It was a bit of a pain but I got the hang of it. Worked well enough to get a baseline on my scale. Thanks to everyone that chimed in.

Latest posts

Back