Carbon sheet

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How thick? you would be surprised what a pair of tin snips will do. And it dont make a mess or get in your lungs

if it is thin sheet up to 1/16 you can score a line on both sides and break it off. tin snips work too. if grinding or cutting whith a wheel watch the carbon dust.

You can also use a table saw with a good blade for the thick stuff. A router with a templates also works good.

You can also use a table saw with a good blade for the thick stuff. A router with a templates also works good.
Scott, I know you mentioned "thick stuff" but most CF I've used for models was .030"-.040". If a thin piece slips under the fence on a table saw and gets cocked- it could be dangerous. I installed a safety switch down by my right knee so I could bump it and turn the saw off without taking my hands off the material. If anyone needs a visual of this switch I could send one in a e-mail.

Glenn

Glenn there is a good trick to stop that from happening..... Cut a piece o1/4" plywood that fits over the fence from the top. This eliminates the chance of anything going under the fence. We do this when cutting laminates. After over 20 yrs in a wood shop you learn some good tricks.

Glenn there is a good trick to stop that from happening..... Cut a piece o1/4" plywood that fits over the fence from the top. This eliminates the chance of anything going under the fence. We do this when cutting laminates. After over 20 yrs in a wood shop you learn some good tricks.
Safety tips ALWAYS APPRECIATED Scott. :)

Dremel makes a really nice little diamond cut off wheel the same size as their reinforced fiber wheels. And it will last. Those poor fiber wheels don't have a chance against carbon! Wear a good dust mask.

Wear a good dust mask.
.......and good eye-protection once that poor fiber cut-off wheel dissentigrates and throws part of a wheel towards your face.

Anyway, what thickness and type of carbon-fibre sheet are folks using for radio hatch and compartment covers on an outrigger (Eagle SGX) for example? .062in?

And from what manufacturer?

Appreciate your help

I work with carbon everyday and also use a jigsaw with a grit jigsaw blade from Home Depo. Cut parts from .020 thick, up to a 1/4" thick. Cut outside the line and block sand with 80 grit to the line.

Those blade don't like carbon fiber, the diamond ones are a little better but the vibration makes it hard to hold the carbon down and straight.

Back