KlassKote clear over West Systems epoxy?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Ok so up until now when I wanted to have a natural wood finish I would just shoot PPG DCC 2021 clear directly on the prepped, cleaned but unsealed wood. Would shoot first layer a little heavy to soak into grain, sanded, repeated one more time a little heavy, sanded again then shot final top coat. This always gave a super high gloss glass smooth finish and with the 2021 binding directly into the wood grain and to itself never had any issues of separation or lifting at radio box lids. Well between watching my "coin" more closely with my career change until my clientele is built up and how outrageously expensive the entire PPG DCC product line has become the 2021 clear will now be reserved for scale builds. I have a tub that I wanted a natural finish on so I've been coating the outside with 207 West finishing resin (insides done with 206 as usual) and even with careful sanding I'm just not getting the glass smooth finish I want so I'm seriously considering the KlassKote epoxy clear. I'm thinking since it's an epoxy type paint it should bond fairly well to the West Systems but want to see if anyone has had any issues like radio box tape lifting the clear or anything else before I order the stuff.

Don, I have had problems with klasskote bonding to hulls that have tape on accessories.i paint a lot of boats in district 4, at the bodyshop.i have found a less expensive clear system that is very good .name is transtar euro kwik coat uretane clear.is very fuel proof dries fast.is a medium high solids clear.you can buy it at most paint companies or purchase online at autobodytoolmart.com.I have also painted several scales with it. Just my two cents......Larry.

Don, I have had problems with klasskote bonding to hulls that have tape on accessories.i paint a lot of boats in district 4, at the bodyshop.i have found a less expensive clear system that is very good .name is transtar euro kwik coat uretane clear.is very fuel proof dries fast.is a medium high solids clear.you can buy it at most paint companies or purchase online at autobodytoolmart.com.I have also painted several scales with it. Just my two cents......Larry.
Thanks for the info Larry. Does it bond well directly to a prepped epoxy sealed surface?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used KlassKote clear on my grandsons new JAE20 boat that was prepped with Tower Hobbies 30 min epoxy and it came out fine.

003.JPG

Don,

The clear epoxy will turn yellow after a year or so. It happened on Rob's scale. I talked with the rep from klasskoat and he told me to use their urethane clear instead of epoxy to get the finish your looking for. It is available on their website.

Ok so up until now when I wanted to have a natural wood finish I would just shoot PPG DCC 2021 clear directly on the prepped, cleaned but unsealed wood. Would shoot first layer a little heavy to soak into grain, sanded, repeated one more time a little heavy, sanded again then shot final top coat. This always gave a super high gloss glass smooth finish and with the 2021 binding directly into the wood grain and to itself never had any issues of separation or lifting at radio box lids. Well between watching my "coin" more closely with my career change until my clientele is built up and how outrageously expensive the entire PPG DCC product line has become the 2021 clear will now be reserved for scale builds. I have a tub that I wanted a natural finish on so I've been coating the outside with 207 West finishing resin (insides done with 206 as usual) and even with careful sanding I'm just not getting the glass smooth finish I want so I'm seriously considering the KlassKote epoxy clear. I'm thinking since it's an epoxy type paint it should bond fairly well to the West Systems but want to see if anyone has had any issues like radio box tape lifting the clear or anything else before I order the stuff.
For a flat surface such as a wooden radio box or a simple curve surface, I have found a technique that works very well. After you level sand and prep the wood surface, brush on a coat of epoxy. Use a playing card to spread the epoxy. Then cover the epoxy coated surface with a clear plastic film. Polyethylene or cellophane work well. Use masking tape to keep the plastic film slightly taut. Use a plastic card to go over the plastic film to level the surface and also to work out any bubbles that may have trapped. I will need two or three coats if I start with a bare wood surface. I have found that I use much less epoxy this way with a pretty decent finish.

kez

Don, I have been using USC-10 universal urethane for my clear coats. Had to lower the paint budget somehow, and this stuff works great and is much less than any PPG clear I have found. I get mine at Autobody Toolmart, cheapest price I have found-$55.00 gal+25.00 for activator.

You say your mainly concerned with achieving a glass smooth finish?

Would the final coat or two still require sanding of any kind?

Ive been amazed at this pic ever since I saw it:

gallery_6309_1654_104894.jpg

Caption says:

"Applied 3 coats of Klass Kote, the last one I reduced 1:1:1. Pretty happy with the overall finish."

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just use the "Greg Hahn" method....3 to 4 coats of thinned epoxy, sand in between coats. Then just 1 coat of clear. Time consuming but light and cheap and VERY well sealed
That's exactly what I wound up doing, shot a single coat of 2021 over the 3 coats of 207 West, turned out great. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back