NHRA news Qatar Racing Club has terminated funding for all motorsports activities in North America

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No they are probably just cutting costs so they can afford to keep cutting prices in oil to stop US from producing oil. They can produce oil for less $$ than any other country.

Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad Al-Thani has left the sport; nothing to do with energy, the drag racing deal was our equivalent of "beer money", or an "allowance".

Based on the "stories" of the past it may have something to do with indulging in activities unbecoming to the rules set forth by his lineage while spending time in the Western Hemisphere. OR He can no longer hang around with the "bad kids", slanderous to his family, he is grounded and his allowance has been taken away.
default_smile.png

Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad Al-Thani has left the sport; nothing to do with energy, the drag racing deal was our equivalent of "beer money", or an "allowance".

Based on the "stories" of the past it may have something to do with indulging in activities unbecoming to the rules set forth by his lineage while spending time in the Western Hemisphere. OR He can no longer hang around with the "bad kids", slanderous to his family, he is grounded and his allowance has been taken away.
default_smile.png
Too much "pouring champagne on bitches"
default_laugh.png

default_smile.png
Too much "pouring champagne on bitches"
default_laugh.png
Sometimes it snows in the desert.

On the bright side, attended my first NHRA National in PA this past October. Had a awesome time. My son now understands why my eyes burn a little from a boat's nitro fumes after we stood next to Tony Shumacher's top fueler during a test start up. Every gear head should go at least once in their life. In my case I think it will be an annual thing..
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
On the bright side, attended my first NHRA National in PA this past October. Had a awesome time. My son now understands why my eyes burn a little from a boat's nitro fumes after we stood next to Tony Shumacher's top fueler during a test start up. Every gear head should go at least once in their life. In my case I think it will be an annual thing..
default_smile.png
told ya so!! NOBODY can ever truly comprehend it until they go. Television CANNOT do it justice. the only thing tv can do better is the high speed/slomo cameras showing all the changes the car goes through on a pass.

And if you think that is cool... You should check out a top fuel hydro drag boat race... 257 MPH on water in 1000 ft. Is something to see!

yes, Robin you are right, went to my first top fuel race in Suffolk , Va. when I was younger. Got to stand directly behind he starting line when one of the fuel funny cars made a run, sounded like all hell was breaking bad. They are impressive. NITRO!!!!!!!!

default_smile.png
Next time go over to the Kalitta pit, they pull the car(s) out in the aisle way to warm it, so close you can look down the pipes. Not sure anyone seats the clutch by "whapping" the throttle anymore, but like anything, that was the good old days.
default_smile.png

The cool thing is it's not just about the noise, these motors work over ALL your senses at the same time. I remember this girl sitting in front of me. She had the hearing protection and was paying attention to what was going on. The still jumped out of her seat ever time the throttle slammed open on one of those nitro burning monsters. I cant believe some of crew members don't wear masks when they crank those motors up in the pits. Stood behind Force's funny car in the pits for a start up. I was there about two seconds. LOL

Mike, funny you mention mask, I used to go to Englishtown on regular bases in the 90's. One time i blew my cookies from breathing raw nitro in the pits. Only reason we stopped going was it took 3 hours to get onto 516 to go home. It is pretty awesome when the ground shakes and don't blink or you'll miss it.
default_tongue.png

In the pits they only run on one fuel pump .right before they stage the car and turn the second pump on now that will make your eyes really water .

Nothing compare's to Nitro on the water. The smell of Nitro&Salt Water hanging in the air after a fueler makes a pass is awesome . I grew in Long Beach Ca. after we left Road Island my Dad was a Master Chief Petty Officer. The Long Beach Marine Stadium was five blocks from my house. Fuelers used to have qualifiy to get in too the field<< there that many boats trying to make the show . Now just show and make it to finish line to get in the field . Boats like Smoke On The Water--Climax--Mr Ed--Down&Out--Panic Mouse--Bad Moon Risin. Nitro has it's own grip on people.

Nothing compare's to Nitro on the water. The smell of Nitro&Salt Water hanging in the air after a fueler makes a pass is awesome . I grew in Long Beach Ca. after we left Road Island my Dad was a Master Chief Petty Officer. The Long Beach Marine Stadium was five blocks from my house. Fuelers used to have qualifiy to get in too the field<< there that many boats trying to make the show . Now just show and make it to finish line to get in the field . Boats like Smoke On The Water--Climax--Mr Ed--Down&Out--Panic Mouse--Bad Moon Risin. Nitro has it's own grip on people.
I grew up in Torrance.

Are you old enough to remember Golden Thing, Banzai and Assassin? How about El Tigre? El Tigre was ahead of it's time in that it was running twin screws in the early 60's. Golden Thing went 157 at Marine Stadium, Banzai went 165 and Butch Peterson skied 106 MPH behind The Thing.

Guys, I know some of you are addicted to drag cars and alcohol for fuel. That's all well and good but, until you stand next to a 1650 Rolls Merlin, 2240 Rolls Griffon or 1710 Allison when they are fired up, you can't get a real appreciation for the power that can be generated by an piston engine. Top fuel engines run for less than five minutes and with a load for less than 10 seconds before being torn down and rebuilt. The V12s can run for hundreds of hours in an aircraft and for several hours in boat racing configurations before needing a rebuild

Guys, I know some of you are addicted to drag cars and alcohol for fuel. That's all well and good but, until you stand next to a 1650 Rolls Merlin, 2240 Rolls Griffon or 1710 Allison when they are fired up, you can't get a real appreciation for the power that can be generated by an piston engine. Top fuel engines run for less than five minutes and with a load for less than 10 seconds before being torn down and rebuilt. The V12s can run for hundreds of hours in an aircraft and for several hours in boat racing configurations before needing a rebuild
That would be the price paid for generating 8,000 to 10,000 HP (est.) from 500 c.i.d.

Back