40 Amp discharging of 4S Lipos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brandt

Vendor
I recently discharged a couple of my 5500 4S 50C lipos using a 40 amp discharger add on to my icharger 406..All went well and I used a 3.75 cutoff per cell..I read these dischargers are used mostly with 1 to 2S lipo packs.

Any thoughts why I shouldn't continue use on 4S packs?

Bill

This is the discharger I used. I found as each cell reached 3.75, as I set, it stopped discharging that cell and continued with the others.

The discharger reached about 270 degrees inside with 4 fans running. About 180 on surface. Batteries only increased about 10 degrees from ambient temperature.

Image.jpeg

Bill,

Those resistors are probably only good for 100W max each, so 500W total for the set-up. What you will see if the resistors start to fail.

What you are seeing is the balance charger discharging the higher cells. You have your storage voltage set to 3.75V, so when any cell above that will likely be balanced down to the lowest cell it the pack.

The main load is applied to all the cells through the main battery leads. The balancing current is done through the balance terminals.

Bill,

Those resistors are probably only good for 100W max each, so 500W total for the set-up. What you will see if the resistors start to fail.

What you are seeing is the balance charger discharging the higher cells. You have your storage voltage set to 3.75V, so when any cell above that will likely be balanced down to the lowest cell it the pack.

The main load is applied to all the cells through the main battery leads. The balancing current is done through the balance terminals.

My main concern is will this hurt my icharger? I like what the results are. I just dont want to hurt the charger.

Bill, you should be able to set the voltage and current levels for the load bank.

Look up the specs specs on your resistor bank and enter these into the Junsi. This will protect both charger and load bank.

-Tyler

Hi Bill. Yes with a 4010 duo and yes with 4s mostly but does 6s also. Pretty sure it doesnt get to 40amp discharge with 6s though.

Hey Chris,

You should be able to draw 40A on the 6S pack. 40A@22V=880W. You may need to crank up the allowable voltage on the load side if you are hitting a limit.

Bill, I will try to make a video on how to set the load up.

Tyler

Hey Chris,

You should be able to draw 40A on the 6S pack. 40A@22V=880W. You may need to crank up the allowable voltage on the load side if you are hitting a limit.

Bill, I will try to make a video on how to set the load up.

Tyler
I have not done much 6s, so I couldn't remember
default_smile.png

Glad to know it goes to 40amps on 6s!

Back