O.S. 18CV-RMX or O.S. 18TZ in a Vegas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon White

Supporting Member
Looking to move out of the RTR class and up to Sport 20. Going to use my Vegas and I've been looking to upgrade the motor to one of the two. I've seen videos and I've heard good about both. Would like some more info on what others have in there Vegas and more info. Thanks!

I used to offer a water cooled set-up for the 18 TZ and I did a lot of them, most feedback i got was upper 40's to mid 50's, the motors are a bit more touchy on settings over a 21 but there is a lot less work to change over since everything is already set-up for an 18 --I suggest still running a .150 cable but do not run a factory cable, the cable itself is fine but the solder joints are 100% questionable, some never fail -some dont make it past the first toss-

I have a TZ in a vegas 1 with sponson mods and a grim racer 38x55 2 blade and the boat screams on the water!

Guys,

A friend of mine has been testing a TZ-18 recently and we have found 34 mm

is the ticket on the propeller diameter. Runs great with a pitched up y-535 or a

36/55 reduced diameter with only 30% fuel. He cannot afford 50% fuel yet.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

I run the TZ with super success. I have a custom made head button and cooling cap. Runs well and cool.

I run Octura x 437/3 the 440 will work but you can hear that it loads up the motor too much in the turn in my opinion.

I used to run the TZ 12 and 18,.. nasty little motors,.. The TZ12 with a water cooled head in the .12 rigger was a monster..

What is a good header and pipe for the tz, im going to put one in a jae 12 and cant seem to find many headers for a rear exhaust .18

I used the ntc3 header for rear exhaust engines about any local shop should have one on the wall or can order it in here is a tower link

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXBMF4&P=8

and if you want it in blue
default_wink.png

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCKP3&P=7

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks toyotatruckin, I like the blue one, I remember now that you suggested the ntc3 header when I got the powder coated go .18 from you. Thanks again !

I have two 18tz motors, one in an old Dumas sk runs over 50 when I can keep it in the water. The other tz is in a jae 12 rigger. This motor has been Simpsonized by Stan Simpson. I use an hpi header.

LXFAZ9 HPI Racing Exhaust Header Nitro MT #86163

Qty Discount Available

Tower hobbies has it. Also running a Mac 2.5 cc pipe with the pipe at 2 1/2 inches from glow plug to cone in the pipe. My 12 rigger is in the low 60 mph range. Also have cut all the cooling fins of to the lower 3 fins in the Dumas. My 12 rigger has a water cooled head and regular plug. Stan changed it over when he worked the engine. I ran the air cooled in the 12 before and it was great.

Thanks george ! I appreciate all the info I can get, im installing my .18 tz in a jae 12 also . I was wondering about the macs 2.5 pipe and how it would work with a tz, alot of guys seem to be running the bigger macs pipes on them. I found a good deal on a 2.5, may just get it.

I've tried both on the tz, the smaller one works better for me on both boats. Works good with the hpi header, puts the pipe out away from the motor, the NR headers are too close to the motor.

Back