2 1/2 minutes to the start.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

On another thread in the outboard forum one subject that come up was "mill time". At a recent race in Florida it was pretty apparent we don't mill as the clock ran down and pit people held our boats till the 45 second mark and launched before 30 to qualify as under power and make the one mill lap.

One of our prominent racers who I have the utmost respect will not race FE anymore because the 2 1/2 mill is not a real function.

I agree that in IC racing that 2/1/2 minute time is very important and I feel 50% of the race. My statement has always been the race doesn't start at zero, it starts at 30 seconds. When clubs want to drop to 30 to save time I always say NO! So I understand someone who has excelled at starts and the full mill may not like the 30 second FE dash to see who can be the biggest A-hole and muscle into lane one. FE acceleration eliminates that full speed sweep from the outside lane at the start that feels so good when you time it right.

I like the power and what I feel is biggest potential growth in model boat racing is FE so I just deal with the "readers digest" version of staring. Even IC racers have heated discussion about the Clock and lane manipulation in the starting chute where your suppose to hold your entry lane. Not a perfect world.

So are there any alternatives? I raced full size OPC in the 70's - 90's and clock starts gave way to beach starts as less logistics and arguments over judgment (I wasn't over) and a better show sell to spectators and sponsors. Boats lined up not running and a gun start is easy to understand over explaining a mill and countdown clock to new fans.

Gas and Nitro are pretty much locked into running starts. FE not so much. We ran beach starts for FE tunnels and actually Mod-VP at our Herb Stuart races in Brandon. Pit person drew random cards for starting position on the bank. and countdown went on with the CD sounding a horn anywhere between 5 and one second, so no advantage. Now your prop acceleration and pit toss in became part of race success. Surprisingly we had few boats colliding until 30-50 feet out and that side contact didn't flip anyone. Race to the designated turn pin and lap count starts at the normal start finish line. It was grins on every ones face and no one wanted to go back to the clock.

Getting long here so any other opinions or critique welcome. Any way we can improve starts and fun welcome.

Mic

I just started with FE, so no real past experience to go on. Do agree with the milling time, the extra time helps in nitro. The races this year, most we had was 3 FE boats. There's three more being built that I'm aware of. Would dropping the LTD part help? Keep it with a 36mm motor. I've only used the 2030kv. Thinking of trying something else.

That style of starting sounds fun. Would be interesting to try it next year.

Mic,

I see your point about the mad dash for lane 1 with the FE boats at the 30 second mark if the short mill is used. At some of the larger FE races they still use the standard full length mill and although the racers to motor out form the beach and sit out of the racing lanes till they are ready. Then they can leave anytime till the 30, but generally must stay "on plane" translated "the boat must look like it is moving". This results in less of a mad dash going around turn 1 and if some boaters want to do a lap or two before the actual start they can, but must remain on plane. There is also a considerable difference in tactics with NAMBA allowing half mill after the first full lap.

Although the full 2:30 mill adds time, it does result in a little cleaner start, but with FE and no risk of stalling most still bunch up for the start. I actually think it is worse in gas racing with guys crawling to the start and this usually results in more dead boats.

I would personally not want to race with a LeMans style start or one at a time with FE. The flying start with close competition is part of the thrill.

The best racing is often seen in open classes where there is a mix of speed and start strategies.

-Tyler

I also find a huge missing part to FE racing and thats the drama it takes to get the boat to crank and on the water. With a FE boat your pit man has little responsibility. TEAM during the 230 is missing in FE racing.

The racing comes with less consequence too. Water down.. whatever... right. sure you can not drive over somebody rooster tail but still.. lots is missing. NOT ALL but in general the drivers dont have the same forethought during a heat. They just dont drive with the same intent to get to the end" the way a nitro boat pilot does. That has been my experience (JUST ME) but PLEASE dont take that wrong..

I LOVE the risk associated with Nitro boat racing. I practice to minimize the risk it take to screw up EVERY aspect of a nitro boat race. Some times it pays off and some times it does not.. AND I LIKE BOTH OF THOSE!

Grim

In nitro scale and many gas classes an idling start is standard. The electric full lap allows some jockeying for position. I still find that hitting the line at top speed gets you to the turn before the boats that idle up to the line. However, a long time ago Jerry Dunlap taught me that lane one in the first turn doesn't win a lot of races. The survivor of the first turn carnage has a better chance after 6 laps. With my moderate skills I usually try to be a little outside in turn one. The first one through still avoids the congestion.

Lohring Miller

We use a one minute clock at our Can-Am for FE classes. Everyone waits until 30 sec, launches and lines up for the start.

Works out well.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the videos Andy! Those starts got an adrenaline going pretty well and though not a full 2 1/2 to scheme, yet that 5-10 second rush to the turn pin was fun.

Back to the 2 1/2 part my point was that part of racing is not FE strategy. Clubs sometimes not sure how to handle FE use the standard time and that fine. We just stand around till under a minute, launch and on plane before 30 seconds. I can see where 2 required mill laps might get the field in better order but still lane one is an advantage as similar to gas acceleration is very equal versus nitro where some boats just can't idle down. We have considered on our narrow club course putting an extra bouy about 75ft down in line with the back course bouys. On the first lap you have to extend the straight with a slight dog leg turn then 180 around the extra bouy (similar to offshore) which spreads the field rather than a crowded first turn. With mono roostertails sometimes you can't see your boat till it's on the backstretch. Call it a "Joker" bouy. If you got creative you could require one pass around the "Joker" in any of the six laps. That way a good start but not in lane one you could stay on throttle and do your joker like rally cross. I know too complicated for old timers but shake the can and make some fun and maybe avoid some collisions. I can't tell you how many heats over the years I never make it past the first turn.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
In our District when all boats are in the water and running, CD asks if the 2 minute time can be waved to all drivers and when all agree, clock is then set to 30 sec. count down. Helps to speed up races.

Tony it is Jerry how have you been? Hope you and family are doing well. Are we going to see you out at the races anymore? Hope when North Pond re opens we see you. Jerry

My district uses a 30 second clock for electric. A longer clock simply wastes time and extends the day. I am currently at the NAMBA nats. Due to a tight launch area, they are allowing anyone who wants to go out and park in the infield before the clock start to do so. Then the rest come off the beach at the start of the 30 second clock. All boats must then go around the whole course to the start. So far it is working well with clean starts and a mix of stratagies.

Back