Offshore courses

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Finch

Supporting Member
Offshore racing is more often than not a demolition derby as boats making the left turn on an M course either run into each other or travel too far and get into the front chute making head on collisions. Then there is the.......who has the right of way when the boats are traveling straight towards the bank about to make the left turn. At that point the boat closest to the left turn buoy has the inside lane so people are changing lanes on the way to that buoy. After looking at the IMPBA rule book I noticed there are 3 approved courses. An M course, a triangle, and a square. The triangle and square courses do not have left turns. Since Offshore M courses are a demolition derby and our boats don't like to turn left, why are we not running the two approved courses that do not require a left turn?

John

Good question John. It seems that the M course is preferred. Maybe because it is the only one with a left turn. CDing the M course is the hardest.

I believe many many many years ago the left turn was a requirement. My memory isn't what it used to be so I could be wrong on that. I remember people saying you have to have at least one left turn. BUT since it is not a requirement, I think we would get more participation if we used the triangle or square course. Let the boats eat with long straightaways, make life easier for the CD, and reduce accidents. I know pleanty of folks who gave the class up because they got tired of repairing boats.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
We have been running offshore in D12 for many years, I have NEVER seen a "head on collision". Come to think of it I've never seen that at a national level event either. John I'm curious where this is coming from, you don't even run that class...............

I think the biggest problem with "M" course comes from clubs using the entrance buoy on the back straight for the left turn. I've seen a lot of boats travel into the front straight or travel out into turn 2. The left turn buoy should be be moved out so the boats don't have to make such a hard left turn. I like what I call the "L" or reverse "L" course.

The M course is typically the preferred course as it adds a challenge with the left land turn. Otherwise what is to stop someone from running a rigger or sport hydroplane. I say this from the standpoint that our district runs open offshore so any legal boat can run. Those that run a traditional offshore class with semi scale boats may be slightly different.

I agree with Wayne the left hand buoy should be placed away from the front straight to avoid the chance of collision. However I will say I have seen some calls, but never a collision between a boat making the left turn and boats on the front straight.

Tyler

Tyler, in the IMPBA, the rules specify Cats and mono's so that prevents any riggers and Sport Hydro's. I do enjoy the left hand turn in the M course. Takes a bit of a different skill set and some people have a little problem with it.. I havent seen any more carnage in the class compared to other classes. Actually a little less IMO due to the course being spread out more. I too have seen some close calls on the left hander but the carnage seems to happen more while boats are turning on the really deep offshore buoys where your depth of field is diminished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutly the best "Offshore Course" I have run and seen is the Atlanta Course!! Plenty of room from the front straight and it is a much longer course than just the Oval.. If only a Canard had ever run in a sanctioned Offshore race I would be running one in the class!! I like offshore as a class but it does tend to just become a parade in a hurry to spectate??

Later!!

Pat

Back