Need advise on a gas engine setup for a 60" Apache with twin MHZ Z-drives

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
I would greatly appreciate any help deciding on a single engine zenoah setup that will run a 60" Apache, with twin MHZ Z-drives, and an MHZ gearbox. Any suggestions in what size, and level of modification, and even a good size set of prop starting points would be great. looking in the 50mph and up speed range. Thanks, Mike Luszcz, ML Boatworks

apache_zps4jg5j1lk.jpg

drives_zpsj8dy9z5l.jpg

Mike, how much do you need ouy of that engine?

Ray, so many irons, so little time! haha

700 with a pipe and mounts, also has a clutch that you should use to take the shock out of the driveline.

Looks like from what some on Jim's said I will need either two separate engines, or an inline to push this hull. Even a 35cc Mathe mod will not move this boat properly, so it sounds like I need to look bigger. What is the reliability of the RCMK inline engines?

Mike, the RCMK inlines seem to still not be 100% reliable directly from the manufacturer. People like Daniel Place and Octavio (CP mods) over on the Dock do the upgrades to the bottom end to get them where they need to be. The in-line has plenty of power but it seems like you'd lose a bunch of it between the gearbox, sterndrives and possibly a clutch? One of the guys here in district 3 tried real hard to make a gearbox work in a race boat and it just wouldn't survive. I realize you did not say you were looking to race, I just wanted to mention that for you to keep in mind. If your going for the scale look I understand as it does look very cool. Maybe the in-line and one sterndrive would be perfect combination of scale, reliability and speed? Good luck with the build and don't forget to post pics.

* Just checked out eBay and saw 2 K600 inlines, both are way overpriced especially if they are just stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 if you want to put a pair in it, I have a 70cc twin in my 56 Apache, but I think they are hard to get and harder to pay for these days, but one comes up for sale now and then.

mb

Your not going to get blazing speeds with those drive so a stock Motor with 2mm light mods would be fun play boat. If you go the 520 route you will break the gear box and drives shafts nonstop. If you looking for speed twin separate motors with stinger drive have seen 70 mph and a hand full. We run the boats non stop in fl in our super boat class

I have had bad experiences with those in-line engines they are really difficult to be line up, I've tried a couple (not going to mention the brand) but no success at all.

Have tried the gear box and it is good for a single engine or electric power, my MHZ PBR pibber boat is running that gear box for scale speed, originally on Zenoah but changed to FE for ease of operation.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8qzhLfKrD4&index=24&list=PL759h91GQINt9JWJDLRcI_2UAGzF71u9O

My suggestion is to use two engines running on different directions since your MHZ drives are on different directions, don't use plastic props, I have my 60"+ Bonzi cat running this way, and it is great.

Raul, What engines are you running in that video? That is awesome! I really want to just do this boat up very scale, and if I need to go slower than 50mph, that is ok, but seeing yours run almost 70mph...well, that was pretty awesome! Thanks! Mike

Those were actually 26's. That a friend of mine, but I have a rico with twins that I run in our super boat class in fl

Back