A Great Day/EOP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr gary turner

We had a great day yesterday at the Huntsville Model Boat Club. A gentleman who is a friend of many of us in the club is battling cancer. He is a tremendous fan of Martin Truex. Mark Grim contacted Martin who donated a box of memorabilia. It was presented to him and Martin you MADE HIS DAY. Thanks Martin. BTW a great race and win today.

We did some testing yesterday and learned some things and learned some things from Mark Grim. That is what is so good about this hobby is learning from each other .

We were pleasantly supprised yesterday when we opened the box containing the EXCELLENCE OF PERFORMANCE TROPHY. We were lead to believe that the trophy was in a major state of disrepair and thus no effort was made to look it with all the other things that had to be built and done for the International Regatta. I think I read here on IW that the IMPBA BOARD had recommended with no objections to removing the name plates and burn the trophy.

Fortunately Bill Zuber spoke up that he would take it and arrangements were made to get it to Huntsville.

The trophy looked actually to be in excellent shape to my 70 year old

eyes. Maybe the Board had better eyesight and identified major disrepair.

We owe Stu Barr an apology for not having the trophy at the awards banquet but again we should not have accepted what we were told about the disrepair status of the trophy.

THE PLANS FOR THE TROPHY: Mark Bullard at his own expense is going to:

Take the silver cup to a friend who is a jeweler to see if the cup can be polished or needs new plating.

Place Stu's name on one of the name plates

Get a shipping container for the trophy and ship it to Stu Barr.

The EOP trophy was awarded the first time in 1972. The trophy truely represents the history of IMPBA and the fact that it has remained in excellent condition for 45 years is a testimony to those who envisioned such a trophy and built it to last. The individuals that have their names on the trophy demonstrate in our hobby a level of excellence that is a goal to be achieved

Great to hear from you Doc, my 70 year old eyes are not the best either. However I did get to run with Stu at Huntsville and his racing skills and his support for our hobby are is above reproach!! Thanks to Mark for his efforts with the EOP trophy. Tim

Some of what you posted here is really good news. Sad that you once again use it as a vehicle to take more cheap shots at the BOD. It's getting really old really fast, both you and Mark need to stop slamming the BOD just because you want to live in yesteryear and don't agree with the direction they are taking for the good of the MAJORITY of the members. While I respect the decisions of the BOD I have mixed feelings about what to do with the EOP but that is no reason to discredit what they do. Enough already................
default_rolleyes.gif

Mark,

When you get all the plaques off, let me know and I can sand it down and give it a few coats of spar varnish.

bob

I would like to say something to Matt S. My brash words were not directed towards you personally about the EOP. I speak two languages fluently...Broken English + Profanity.(If you have met me you know)
default_smile.png
Just glad to see I was not the only one to feel the way I did. Very nice of you to offer to donate and help with wood for trophy.

I also did not mean for it to turn into a Political Circus. That will not help anyone in the RC Racing community.

Nice "BIG" trophy. Maybe consider reconfiguring it into components so it can be broken down for shipping purposes.

Doug

Cubic inches is cubic inches as far as shipping in most cases . I am not a player ever for this or am I an IMPBA full time member as so many are but this seems to me such an important part of where this all came from . I would be willing to donate a small amount to the cause even though I am in Namba country . Lots of heirlooms going by the wayside these days .

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned in an earlier post on the subject of shipping the EOP trophy, there are much easier, smarter and cheaper ways to get this trophy to where it needs to go. I do not recall this trophy ever being shipped until just recently. It was always brought to the Internats by the person who last won it or was given to someone who was coming to the Internats. This is a no brainer, folks! We have people going to races all over this country. If you are in possession of this trophy and will not be going to the next Internats where it will be presented then you will be responsible to get it to someone who will be going. It may have to go through a couple of different people just to get it to the Internats but it is certainly better and cheaper than to box it up and risk it being damaged or even lost. When I was racing big boats if someone bought a boat or a motor you put the word out that you needed to get a boat or a motor to a certain destination and usually you found someone coming your way for a race or a couple of people who could get it to you. I bought a hydroplane from a guy in Texas who took it to a race in Louisiana where a friend of mine was racing and he brought it back to me. I appreciate the people in District 5 for restoring this award to its former glory. I only hope that when it is finished that it makes its way to Indiana to the person who won it at this years Internats. That is where it belongs.

Dick Tyndall

Dick, Stu Barr's name will be put on one of the blank brass plates. A shipping case ie similar to the case used for the timing equipment is being purchased

Mark Bullard is taking the trophy to a jeweler friend to refurbish the silver and brass

IT WILL THEN BE SHIPPED TO STU

BTW MARK BULLARD IS PAYING FOR ALL OF THIS HIMSELF!!!

He would be commenting on the plans, but for Don Ferrette's policing.

BTW it did get to Huntsville with the help of Steve Ball picking it up I believe in Toledo.

Thanks for getting us up to date on what's going on with this. It is good to see some of our members stepping up and doing the right thing with all of this.

Dick Tyndall

Back