Let's see who reads this (RE NAMBA SAW Stuff)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

OK,

I am wondering what the scrutineers at the LA SAW (for FE Boats) will be looking at?

ie

Check voltage of packs before and after runs? or just after?

What is the maximum voltage allowed (per cell will do for now) if tested BEFORE a run?

What happens if 2 consecutive passes are made above the record, then the boat gets destoyed and lost forever and/or catches fire and lipos cannot be checked after the passes are made?

Is there anything that is considered a 'no no' at this event regarding anything boat related? (like, I dont know, warming packs too much for example)

I am not wanting any bitching here, just the facts from people IN THE KNOW and who will be doing the judging and such...

AS a side note, who else is coming in November? and when can we Enter?
default_smile.png

Thanks

Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past, the voltage and capacity of the battery has been taken as the label quantities. You can warm the cells as much as you want. Before the lipo era, electric boaters were given special consideration to allow running immediately after charging. That's not necessary now. Everyone will be very helpful. I've been loaned props that set a record. Even when we inadvertently ran an illegal fuel, our competitors were quick to loan us theirs. Go down and expect to have a great time and learn a lot.

Lohring Miller

Kris, I am NOT a NAMBA I can only speak for IMPBA side of the rules, however the rules are pretty close between the two. The rules state you have to measure/witness the voltage BEFORE the run and in IMPBA there is a voltage range the pack must be in to be valid for that class. N is 2S, T is 10S). The rule is to not allow you to "over charge" the cells and turn them into flames.

You are required to make two passes (one direction for 1 pass the the opposite for the other pass) You are given a time limit to do you runs but if you come out of the water into the pits of any retrieve that will cancel the run. You can make a pass and then sit in the water and wait for the wake to dissipate or gather your courage and then make the other run. IF you break the end of run timing light that is a run, by that I mean you COULD start a run and break the start timing light but call off BEFORE the end timing light and regroup to make another run as long as you have running time remaining. So to get a "official" time you must measure the voltage before you launch, make two passes (opposite directions) inside the time limit and trip the timing lights. After that last timing light trip if the boat blows up you would be ok, there is only one small catch is some classes the boat length as a limit so I guess you should measure/record it officially BEFORE you make your runs.

Lipo fires in the pits are a no-no, charging unattended is another no-no. Being safe and driving safe at all times are important also!

Good luck, SAW can be hard of hardware and test you skills and luck to the max!

Paul

Kris,

I have been and will likely be one of several scrutinizers at the LA SAWs. This is a general list of what to expect. This is off memory for some of the official rules, so check the NAMBA rule book for exact wordings.

The basics for a record run:

1. The boat will be tech'ed after a run for voltage, capacity, number of cells, number of parallel packs, length, NAMBA number and class conformation. The motor will be checked if applicable. Suspect battery capacities will be checked on a charger by partially discharging and charging. I.e. if you try to use a battery capacity too large for a class we have the right to check it. For Example if you used a 13,000mAh pack for T catamaran.

2. The boat must be in enough pieces to be tech'ed. If your batteries were ejected after a hard crash on the final pass. No pass, no record. We can pre-tech some parameters before a run like length, etc, but it will be up to the CD to decide if enough measureable parts are left to tech.

3. If the boat sinks, burns, destroyed beyond recognition a record is out of the question. In the case a boat sinks and the batteries short, but the boat is recovered we will make a judgment call on the voltage.

The unwritten rules of the host club:

1. You must have a fire extinguisher

2. You must safely charge. If you are unsafely charging you will be asked to stop and pack up.

3. You may safely warm your batteries. If you do so in an unsafe manner you will be asked to leave.

4. You must use common sense. If we see something stupid, you will be warned and then asked to leave.

5. Your boat must be safe to run at the speeds intended within reaon. Sloppy installations, wiring messes, etc will looked at on a per boat basis.

I can address any specific issues you have and/or refer you to a section in the rule book.

I will make an official post for the event shortly. In preparation you should be a NAMBA member, you can sign up on the main NAMBA website. You can also purchase single event coverage just for the SAW event.

Tyler

At first I did not like the newer IMPBA rule to measure batteries BEFORE the run as it is a pain to do this and then tape up the boat for the pass. But now after thinking about it more it would catch if the cells are overcharged or hot and MAYBE keep from turning into BBQ! I see the pre-run cell test as a good thing to do, maybe NAMBA will pick up on this also. My 2 cents worth.

Paul

Teching before the run also assures that you don't let an illegal boat run on an insured pond.
default_wink.png
Voltage, length, weight, in the case of FE.

D.

Thank you Tyler.

You have answered the questions I needed you to. I am not in any gray areas so that is all good to me.

I agree with checking packs prior to a run...who knows what some of you blokes get up to with your NiMh oh I mean Lipos before a run ;-)

So no warming of lipos above the fire pit or BBQ?

Kris have you and Aaron decided what you are taking over to the SAW's yet. Should be very interesting indeed.

Cheers

Andrew
Hey Buddy,

I am taking EA Outboard and EA Sport Hydro maybe another special one if testing permits good passes
default_smile.png

Alltalk Aaron OZSPEC will be taking 45 Hydro and probably 2 others ;-)

"No floatation=No sympathy" lol Tyler, you must know the "professional"

Keep up the good work sir!

Good luck fellas!!

Especially with new technoligy or just MFGs claiming their batteries can be charged to higher voltages than both organizations allow, pre check floats my boat.

Brian

Sounds great Kris. Hard to find flat water lately for any kind of testing. Have you got any Alminox jointing paste for your plugs. If not I can send you some.

Anyone is welcome to contact me for specific questions about the event, site or other.

Doug, Do you guys have an event before November?

TG
Yes sir,

Oct. 3rd-5th Huntsville, Al.

Oct. 4th & 5th Flint, Mich.

Oct.8th-10th Portersville, Pa.

D.

What is this paste you speak of Andrew?

I am getting some good water on my small test lake...not big enough wind up fully though
default_sad.png

The Whip would get to about 1/3 throttle...then i wouldnt be able to turn around
default_rolleyes.gif

It is the joint paste we use to make joints extremely low resistance. It helps get joints down into less than 1 micro ohm with 200amps flowing through. It also seals the joint from corrosion. We use it to make high voltage connections. Handy stuff for terminals.

Just windy up here everyday at the moment. Gives me time to finish the ea and eb riggers though. Nearly finished them both.

Back