FE glass outboard 36”

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottWhite

Hey guys, Ive been running large scale gas for six or seven years now, and electric boats for the past couple as sport. I had a stiletto last summer but couldnt get it to stick in the turns past 46-47mph.

Id like to try a tunnel again but want it right. Id like a fiberglass hull in the 36 range to run on 6s. I was interested in the Vision Craft but after contacting Shawn, he is no longer producing boats.

The only other two fiberglass boats Ive found is the Leecraft (which I personally do not like the looks of) and Hyperformance TX45 which looks great but finding feedback is difficult.

The leg I was interested in is the hyper 7.5 bullet.

Any info would be appreciated or let me know if anyone has a hull purchase.

Thanks

I cannot say one way or another concerning the TX45 but have not seen one run at any large outboard events. They have been available for some time and no one is dominating with one. I thank Hyperformance for some great OB products but having owned and run the "bullet" I would not recommend it. K&B makes a very good lower that is not expensive.

If your main criteria is looks that's fine but accept you might not get the best performing hull. The Lee is a quality performer and the Vision has proved itself in competition. I would bet there is one out there someone will part with. A Dragon built by Kris Flynn would be worth the money. Very solid wood hull as would be a PTI from Paul Renna. If you aren'ta wood craftsman there are others that will build for you. Maybe a little more money but only a percentage of the total rig.

Mic

Thanks for the info, hopefully I can find the vision 40. What are your thoughts on the lawless 7.5?

Lawless is a nice piece of machine work. Advantage may be lower cg of powerhead, which hasn't proven so much in my testing. I have bent a lot of Lawless skegs and material may be too soft. I feel the distance between the prop and swivel pin is too long and not as precise to steer as a K&B.

One side bar is an FE has more power and instant torque which will expose any bad habits in a hull or setup. With a Q size 40X82 motor 1400-1900kv you can push 60's easily and above 70 you will flip very violently tearing up hardware and hulls. I quit attempting SAW records breaking more boats than records.

Mic

If you want glass and like a nice looking boat .... look for a used Vision 40 or a HTB360

Awesome boats! I have not seen a leecraft over here..but plenty of visions and htbs.

Lawless lower is great...careful with the caveplate falling off.

K&b works good also.

Never heard good things about the Hyperformance hull or lower units.

the hopper 45 tunnel hull is a very strong and good performing tunnel hull .....I think it is out of production but you might find a good used one .....I think john otto has raced one for years......bob

Thanks for all the input provided, Ive posted in the for sale forum that Im looking for the vision 40 or htb360.

Im sure Ill have some questions when I finally get one to build, but my last question now is about the k&b leg.

Ill need a water pick-up so Ive narrowed it down to the newer 50-4803 or older 50-8703. I see the newer one has a new style water pickup and the older one has a mounting flange cut for a muffler. Any preference between the two for FE use?

The new # 50-8702 comes with a water pickup and complete with prop and flex shaft is a bargain for $86.50. from MECOA. Bolt on Hyperformance motor adapter has the steering bar in the machine work and your good to go.

Mic

I cannot say one way or another concerning the TX45 but have not seen one run at any large outboard events. They have been available for some time and no one is dominating with one. I thank Hyperformance for some great OB products but having owned and run the "bullet" I would not recommend it. K&B makes a very good lower that is not expensive.

If your main criteria is looks that's fine but accept you might not get the best performing hull. The Lee is a quality performer and the Vision has proved itself in competition. I would bet there is one out there someone will part with. A Dragon built by Kris Flynn would be worth the money. Very solid wood hull as would be a PTI from Paul Renna. If you aren'ta wood craftsman there are others that will build for you. Maybe a little more money but only a percentage of the total rig.

Mic
Thanks Mic....

We are working on a fiberglass version of our NX-365 now.

We do offer a building service,

Scott if you are interested, please contact me at [email protected]

As for the lower unit, we' re using the K&B on our P tunnel and the prototype QX-365 (36" FE tunnel hull) . It works very well

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, Paul. Ive sent you an email for further information.

I have been in touch with Harry at MECOA, he advised me to use part number 50-4803 when ordering the leg since some of the webpage numbers need to be cleaned up, also they are working on making mounts for FE.

Last edited by a moderator:
One good thing about the leecraft is that they can be bought new from Ron.

Never seen one go but a few guys have them.

One good thing about the leecraft is that they can be bought new from Ron.

Never seen one go but a few guys have them.
I saw he had several in stock, that cowl just doesn’t work for me. If it was the best out there and I was racing competitions on a regular basis, I’d deal with it. For sport running with a race or two once in a while, I’d prefer the more typical sleek look.

Ok guys, I’ve added an avatar of my old bad @$$ Stiletto that could spin out and flip in circles around yours haha (no offense Darin). This will serve as motivation to get the pic changed to a new hull once I find one! Thanks for everyone’s input, although the stiletto couldn’t handle the speed I wanted, it was a blast to drive on the prop and is why I’m eager to get a bigger/better tunnel in the water.

For the guys with FE experience, I’ll be running a TP 4050 1570kv on 6s with maybe a 445 prop... will a seaking 180v2 handle the amps on a 40” hull? I think it’ll be pushing it myself but not sure the type of amp draw with tunnels.

Start with an x442 or 42x55 abc prop first.

The M445 is probably alot of prop if not setup right (wet). If setup properly it will be a screamer.

What 40" hull are you talking about? Must be an ML Boatworks?

The NX400 from Paul. I’ll definitely start small, I was just imagining a 445 would on the edge or maybe a little too much for that esc.

I ran an M445 on a castle 1518 1600kv (slightly shorter motor than yours) and a Turnigy 180 ("same" as hobbywing) on a Vison 40... pretty sure it was the fastest boat at that race in 2014, if not right up there.... was a beast to drive, so much fun.

I suspect your boat will be fine...BUT run a 42mm prop first! It will be plenty fast to start with
default_smile.png

That smart jack is pretty slick, hope they’re available soon... Thanks for all your help, Kris!

Back