JAE gas rigger build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayMikey

We started our Jae Gas Rigger build. After reading the instructions several times we got started After unpacking and marking the parts we glued the tub side doublers in place Next we fitted the bulkheads After gluing with ca we moved on to the booms This will set up all nite before we sand and apply the tub bottom rear section. For power we will use a RCMK rear exhaust motor, most of the rest including hardware and prop will be Zipps off the shelf parts

Nice! I like how you incorporated the build story with the pics!!

I want one of these kits! Also would like that rear exhaust RCMK in it...

I'll be watching your build... :)

-Kent

Hey great post. I ordered my kit today, I decided to scrap the fe build and go gas. Can you recommend some common supplies I'll need to complete the build? Like what are you using for a jig and what types of other tools I'd want to have on hand. This is my first kit build and I could use any and all help. Thanks.

I went to Lowes and bought 2 three foot pieces of 1 /1/2 x 1 1/2 alum angle along with some number 10 wood screws and a couple pieces of shelf board. We screwed one piece of angle down and the other will be clamped. I had the clamps and weights. One thing I recommend is a syringes for putting glue right where you want it. Hardware wise Zipp has everything but servos and motors. Today I will scour the hobby shop for a large airplane canopy to build a cowl while my son continues the build. More to come

Hey great post. I ordered my kit today, I decided to scrap the fe build and go gas. Can you recommend some common supplies I'll need to complete the build? Like what are you using for a jig and what types of other tools I'd want to have on hand. This is my first kit build and I could use any and all help. Thanks.
;)

I am so pleased that the JAE line of boats is doing exactly what we intended them to do.....people are building again.....the over whelming response to the JAE boats has been unbelievable.....

I really never realized how many boaters we had out there that were ready to become "modelers" rather than just buyers.....

The complete JAE line of boats all build using the same construction techniques....go to the Zippkits website and print-out the instruction manual for the .12 or .21 boats and get a jump start

at reading the instructions......the same information and basic techniques will also be used to build the Gas boat.... www.zippkits.com

The Zippkits kits are so designed that very few tools are needed to complete the boat....

The jig needs to be nothing more than a 12" X 48" piece of something that is flat and true....I use a pre-finished piece of shelving from Menards and [2] pieces of 1" X 1" X 48" angle aluminum also bought at Menards....

Send me a PM or email [email protected] with your phone number and I will gladly fill up your dance card with a grocery list of simple suggestions......

The best tool you will have for a successful build will be reading the instructions carefully and patience... ;)

For you boaters that do not have the time or confidence to take on this task,remember there are some dam good builders out there that will build your kit for you for a nominal fee.....

One of those builders is David Preusse [email protected] 1-847-526-4694 another builder is "fast cat" on this forum.....

Either that turn fin is GIGANTIC or you have got baby hands!! :blink: :lol: :lol:

See ya at bouy one. ;)

Mine is sitting in the shop waiting for me to get some time to work on it. Right now I'm busy getting the .12 and .21 versions up and running.

Either that turn fin is GIGANTIC or you have got baby hands!! :blink: :lol: :lol:

See ya at bouy one. ;)

. :D ....It does kinda remind you of a snow shovel but...............

Remember.........the turn fin attaches to the sponson high on the rear of the sponson tail.....more than half of the fin is out of the water when the boat is running.......

JAE's hook up "HARD" and pull over 7 G's in the corner and all of that moment arm force ends up right on the attachment point of the fin to the sponson.... :)

You need that much meat in the fin that is out of the water to keep the fin from bending.......... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what grabbed my eye when I first opened the box, that big old shark fin! My next thought is the work-out my arm is going to get filing that thing.

;)

I am so pleased that the JAE line of boats is doing exactly what we intended them to do.....people are building again.....the over whelming response to the JAE boats has been unbelievable.....

I really never realized how many boaters we had out there that were ready to become "modelers" rather than just buyers.....

The complete JAE line of boats all build using the same construction techniques....go to the Zippkits website and print-out the instruction manual for the .12 or .21 boats and get a jump start

at reading the instructions......the same information and basic techniques will also be used to build the Gas boat.... www.zippkits.com

The Zippkits kits are so designed that very few tools are needed to complete the boat....

The jig needs to be nothing more than a 12" X 48" piece of something that is flat and true....I use a pre-finished piece of shelving from Menards and [2] pieces of 1" X 1" X 48" angle aluminum also bought at Menards....

Send me a PM or email [email protected] with your phone number and I will gladly fill up your dance card with a grocery list of simple suggestions......

The best tool you will have for a successful build will be reading the instructions carefully and patience... ;)

For you boaters that do not have the time or confidence to take on this task,remember there are some dam good builders out there that will build your kit for you for a nominal fee.....

One of those builders is David Preusse [email protected] 1-847-526-4694 another builder is "fast cat" on this forum.....
Rod the kits are easy to build with simple instructions. These boat are afordable too. I got two .12's to build for friends. One that dont have the time to build..The other is one of my girlfriends that wants to run and possibly race boats. Joe is building two .12's. One for a friend that is 78 years old that had all his rigger's stolen from his van that was on his property...the other is his.

Mike,

On bulkhead 3 did you offset it to the right looking from the front of the tub? I went right looking from the front.

After looking at the alignment with the bottom sheet cutout for the stuffing tube I think I screwed up. Instead of trying to pop out that bulkhead I might just glass it and redrill the hole offset.

I am nearly finished my JAE21G2 and i can stand by the PATIENCE part i started rushing mine as i wanted it on the water and i am starting to think that i might have stuffed it but will wait and see when i get to run it,my gas kit is sitting on top of the cupboard and i can guarentee that it won't get started until i have the proper time to build it,they are great kits and a pleasure to build.

We put the hole and cutout on the right and ive set the motor in place.almost perfect alignment. I will post updated pics tonite,got called away for a plumbing job last nite YUCK....

Somebody didn't read the instructions (like I should talk!).

The hole on the bulkhead is offset to the right as the left motor mount doubler offsets the motor to the left to help the coil clear if an RCMK RE motor is used.

Yuppers! The RCMK rear exhaust coil is mounted on the left side of the motor so the motor mount doublers will be on the left side which in essence places the motor to the right. Even if you're going to use a Zenoah, Sikk or other powerplant the slight amount of offset will still be an advantage. This is explained in the instruction book.

Without the manual in front of me, I believe that the tub side doublers are different in a way also be beware of that too.

Yuppers! The RCMK rear exhaust coil is mounted on the left side of the motor so the motor mount doublers will be on the left side which in essence places the motor to the right. Even if you're going to use a Zenoah, Sikk or other powerplant the slight amount of offset will still be an advantage. This is explained in the instruction book.

Without the manual in front of me, I believe that the tub side doublers are different in a way also be beware of that too.
Got it. I'll redrill the hole in the correct location and get on with the build.

Thanks Ron.

This is from a guy who read one part of the JAE .21 manual I don't know how many times and glued the motor mount blocks in the wrong way so the motor set a little higher and had to redrill the stuffing tube hole if that makes you feel any better. I do have more clearance for the starting belt now as an upside! :D

I think what threw me off was the instructions say offset right and the picture is taken from the front of the tub.

Good looking build thus far Mike.

Looks very well layed out mate.

Are the tub sides 2x Laminations of 1/8" ply with the inner routed?? Should be light and strong looking at it.

Great to see people the world over finally geting back into the woodwork side of the hobby. Nothing beats the satisfaction of finishing something you have crafted yourself.

Keep the pics coming

Johno

Back