New To Building A Hydro - Epoxy Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny Fricia

Hello all, this is my first hydroplane build and I had a few questions on how ya'll are gluing/expoxying your hulls. Is there any type of specific glues or expoxies you use in different areas? I currently have West Systems 206/105 based off of some research I did on here, but will this work to epoxy the entire boat, or should I be using other glues in different areas? Also, are there specific techniques to applying the epoxy (meaning, do you apply the epoxy to the area to be glued then lay the wood framing down, or do you assemble whatever you are gluing, then apply the epoxy to the edges?).

Really rookie questions, I know...but I couldn't find any type of "how to". If there is something that lays it down for newbies like myself, I would love a link.

Thanks

you might consider getting some 205 hardner as well. Some stuff doesn't require a ton of strength and it allows you to do multiple gluing in one day on a wood build.

If you have a lot of gluing to do, I'd recommend getting some 209 hardener too. It's the slowest to setup so it gives you the longest working time.

One bit of advice, keep your boat as lite as you can. It's easy to add weight, sometimes too much so. Removing weight, on the other hand, can be very difficult, to say the least.

Thank you gentlemen. I'll get those hardeners as well. Really appreciate the insight. Can you enlighten me on where I can run the 205? Being my first build i am just sure where I can sacrifice strength for cure time.

Ray, I missed that thread. Appreciate you running a search for me.

I wasn't exactly sure if you were all running the West Systems for the structural framing as well as sealing the hull. Sounds like you are. Makes it a lot easier!

When I build, I use medium gap filling CA to tack parts together. Everything else is normally 206 or 209. I only use 205 when I have parts that are easy to put together such as cross frames to lengthwise frames, bow blocks, sponson and rear transoms excepted as they get 209 since they are stressed more than the rest of the framing. 209 is used for attaching skin while 206 I normally use to seal the framing

Hello all, this is my first hydroplane build and I had a few questions on how ya'll are gluing/expoxying your hulls. Is there any type of specific glues or expoxies you use in different areas? I currently have West Systems 206/105 based off of some research I did on here, but will this work to epoxy the entire boat, or should I be using other glues in different areas? Also, are there specific techniques to applying the epoxy (meaning, do you apply the epoxy to the area to be glued then lay the wood framing down, or do you assemble whatever you are gluing, then apply the epoxy to the edges?).

Really rookie questions, I know...but I couldn't find any type of "how to". If there is something that lays it down for newbies like myself, I would love a link.

Thanks
http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/rivman.pdf

Thanks
http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/rivman.pdf
Smart thinking Dave, forgot all about those. Heads up move.
default_cool.png
default_cool.png

Latest posts

Back