General Engine Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
I am hoping to get some pros and cons from the people that have used these engines. I am wondering how the Nova 46DD stacks up against the AA45 or the VAC45.

Thank You in advance for all your input.

Paul

You will have to find someone who has run each of these engines in one particular boat, (the same boat) to get a fair comparison. What works for one, doesn't always work for another. In your question you are asking how the Nova will perform against the AA and CMB? They are all good engines and depending on who sets them up, and boat set up, each can run as fast or faster than the other. Kind of a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing.

Paul,

I have heard that the AA and the Nova have many issues, and the CMB VAC is a MONSTER and has no loose links. I am converting all my boats over to CMB power because of parts availability and they are just strong motors. It is all personal preference in my opinion. Everyone has a opinion but look at what is working right now.

Beau

I am hoping to get some pros and cons from the people that have used these engines. I am wondering how the Nova 46DD stacks up against the AA45 or the VAC45.

Thank You in advance for all your input.

Paul
Maybe Bob Bonahoom will jump in here and comment on the VAC vs. the DD. He ran a VAC last season in his Roadrunner, and a DD Nova this season.

Well I wasn't happy with my Nova 46 DD, So I am running the CMB vac now. Still in testing stages, Like Rob said Ford vs Chevy kinda thing, pick your poison.M2C..

Rene

No Clue about Picco 45R Blue Headed with Logo"45" ^_^ I love my Picco 45R " Monster Power" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 45 vac is a beast. The AA is a great engine and so is the nova 45 can't go wrong with either of the engines

Has anyone tried the Rossi 45.... I can get one easy just don't wanna waste my time.... this is an inboard engine.

The Rossi is a older engine and set up right is a great runner. I found the carb to be the only issue. The barrel lock wore into the barrel quite easy and caused it to stick once in a while but that was enough to have to modify it. I also found that having the carb flowed made the engine realy perform. It has draw issues in it's factory configuration.

Paul............I have the nova 46DD. I was running it this weekend in Mt Vernon. Ugly white Sport 40 . Has tons of power plenty of speed ( 10 7\8 " macs 7.5 quiet pipe, Stock 646 prop) . I had steering issues all weekend( need more servo ) first heat boat came in with bent rudder. third heat rudder was kicked up .

My AA is coming around.. it seems a bit sensitive to boat setup. Seems more of an RPM engine that torque engine. It will be in a special SP40 real soon so Ill let you know how that goes..

I have a NR 46 with the 180 header... I run a cmb nitro pipe at 9 1/4... will try the nova pipe and see if I can go shorter. Only problems I had was my engine was one of the first generation and it would just split headers like nothing...Glenn said send him the piston sleeve and button.... since then all is good... I did have a slight issue with my header , my eye for the spring broke thru... will get another header for next year. I also had problems with exhaust couplers when i was splitting headers, havent tried reg coupler sine the fix.All in all I like this engine better than my 45hr

Have ran Picco 45's for years. Hard to beat for torque AND RPM. Great pistons and P/S fit. More that they are ran the better the P/S fit becomes. Will try CMB for next season. An Orlic modified Picco 45 is an awesome motor. Glad to have several still in the stable. BTW they ALL generally need a little work in order to reach peak performance.

I have run both the AA and the Nova. Both in the same boat at the same altitude. I could switch one for the other as far as reliability, speed and parts. I have run against the AA, MAC and CMB. Bottom line is that it comes down to set-up and driving to win. You can win with any three of these motors.

As far as parts... Well I was at Al's house about a month ago and saw no less than 80 AA45 motors with hundreds of parts. He is a great guy to deal with and stands behind his products.

I had an issue with my Nova 46 and Glenn came thru with the fix and parts for free.

Can't go wrong with either of these motors.

Robert Holland

Back