Dumas kit information

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Dragon Fly 60 that I built from a kit. It is a fun hydro, but it isn't legal to race. It isn't a scale of any real boat that I am aware of. The plans that come with the kit are not full size either. If you are interested in racing, the 40 would be legal for the sport 40 class as far as I know.

Thanks for the information. I wanted to look at it partly for nostalgia and to see if the design might fit for Gas Sport Hydro, just for kicks. As I understand it, the hull has some roots back to APBA Stock Outboards (?). Is there enough information on the plans to scale up full-size templates?

Bob Heywood

Dayton, OH

I'll have to look tonight when I get home. It has been 2yrs since I last looked at them, if I still have them. <_< I'll let you know tomorrow what I find.

I have built all three sizes of Drag N Fli over the years including the original .21 shovel nose and later the pickle fork. The plans that came with the kits are about 1/2 scale. You can enlarge it. However, only 2 view is provided. You need to deduce the former patterns from the drawing. This is not too hard..just takes time.

The Drag N Fli is a good fun/sport boat and is a loose representation of the stock outboard as you pointed out. They all required lots of wt in the nose or they will blow over.

Attached is a picture of my .21.

Hope this helps.

Kez

Sorry, I couldn't find the plans. I fear that I have lost them in my recent move.

Dumas is able to supply plan copies. A 20 and 40/60 plan cost me $ 9.00 delivered. Can't go too wrong with that.

Your replies and information are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

If you need any dimentions, I can pull them off mine. Then you can scale them either or down from there. :D

here is a picture of my Dragon Fly 60

normal_my-boat0.JPG

Nice Job on the DNF 60 wswatzell!!

Got any more pics? I'm currently working on a DNF 20. here are a few pics from the building process

Dsc00005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Drag'N Fly plans arrived in today's mail. Dumas sent the 40/60 shovel nose and the 20 pickle fork. At this point it would be helpful to have the length overall and beam at the sponson transom from the 60 and the 20 shovelnoses. Also, any help on the optimum balance point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob,

I have found that the Drag N Fli (all 3 sizes) like to have a pretty forward CG compared to pickle fork designs. I have set the CG of my .40/60 size to 1" behind the sponsons and the .20 to be .75". This would require lots of lead in the nose. I used fishing sinkers with epoxy. The CG recommendation by Dumas is too far backward and they blow over easily. Perhaps the DNF was not designed for the power of today's engines.

There was a thread about the setting up of shovel nose hydros. http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=5673

I have not tried the weighing method yet but I am sure it will work well.

Hope this helps....

Kez

Here are some more pics of my DNF60. I have since modified it a bit by changing it to a flex shaft, & an isolation mount.

wadesredhydro.jpg

normal_my-boat3.JPG

Back