Painting K&B lower unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Hi all im putting together a electric outboard i am considering painting the K&B lower unit black to match the MRP plastic motor cowling . #1 ? is painting this lower unit a bad idea ? What sort of prepping is required to properly do this job ? What primer and paint should i be using? I don't want the paint to scratch going through a weed patch or hitting a floating twig or the paint to bubble. Regards Andris Golts.

I had a twin OB offshore boat years ago with 3.5 KB obs. I just cleaned them good with vinegar and painted them with some flat black paint. They held up pretty good.

Alumaprep, zinc chromate primer, and then paint. Maybe Mercury Phantom Black for the paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

have paint my older K&B after seeing John Brodbeck Circus Circus tunnel hull . He paint the outbord in pink and polished lower part.

I clean the aluminium parts with sandpaper and then each them with caustic soda, but only for a short time as the aluminium vasting has most lead in the material for better casting. Then paint with 2 k paint and heatdrey in a box 60 degree celsius. The parts that are the most time in contact with water when running i polished , old photo show only bad result but was better.

Happy Amps Christian

BF85F517-14BD-4483-8AAE-D4415BBCCA5B.jpeg

I would send mine with 400 grit wet paper and then I use John Deere black graphite slip plate holds up well to 60% Nitro and actually gained a little bit of speed

Latest posts

Back