2.4 Radio Antenna

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the receiver (wraped in foam) under the base of the tube. Normally provides enough resistance to keep the antenna from sliding down.

Sometimes I will let the antenna come out the top of the tube 1/4" and wrap a very small peice of radio box tape around it to help keep water out.

Hi Rick,

I use Velcro to hold my receiver to the inside top of the radio box and then the antenna is up the tube at a 90 degree angle and then a small piece of Velcro to keep the antenna from sliding out of the tube.

Thanks, John

I use another rod end cap at the bottom (cut it short) and put a slit in it.

Pass the wire through and it has enough resistance to hold it in place.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you guys holding the antenna up in the antenna tube, since the manual say's NOT to bend the end of the wire over.

Thanks for the reply's
Rick

I do it like Andy said with the foam wrap except I put a plastic cap over the tube end. If the wire slips down a bit it doesn't make any difference as you can run them inside the box if you want.

Bill Hoch

Rick,

I just bend the wire like we have with all the other radio antennas, it works fine for me, have done this with six receivers on 2.4 with great

range on all of them.

Happy Holidays,

Mark Sholund

Rick,

I just bend the wire like we have with all the other radio antennas, it works fine for me,

don't believe everything you read. I have done this with six receivers on 2.4 with great

range on all of them.

Happy Holidays,

Mark Sholund
Just because you do it doesn't make it right. The antenna lead is coaxial and unlike what we've done in the past it is NOT supposed to be bent over like that.

Rick,

I just bend the wire like we have with all the other radio antennas, it works fine for me,

don't believe everything you read. I have done this with six receivers on 2.4 with great

range on all of them.

Happy Holidays,

Mark Sholund
Just because you do it doesn't make it right. The antenna lead is coaxial and unlike what we've done in the past it is NOT supposed to be bent over like that.
As long as you don't try for a 90* bend, it's not going to hurt the antenna. Even on commercial jets, coax cables have to go around corners. Keep the bend radius to greater than 10X the cable size and it's not going to cause any problems.

Don,

I was just sharing another perspective to look at?

I did not say it was right or wrong?

I have wired a lot of high and low voltage equipment in my lifetime,

and I do not think this is going to hurt the receiver wire.

I cleaned up my first post Don thank you!

Merry Christmas,

Mark Sholund

Has anyone ever made a full range check comparison? Antenna in the box, out of the box, tip bent 180*, tip straight.

Don,

I was just sharing another perspective to look at?

I did not say it was right or wrong?

I have wired a lot of high and low voltage equipment in my lifetime,

and I do not think this is going to hurt the receiver wire.

Merry Christmas,

Mark Sholund
Hi Mark,

Your post kinda comes across as a bit more the "sharing another perspective" especially the second part-

don't believe everything you read.

The coaxial lead in the 2.4 antennas (all of them not just Futaba) is fragile compared to the old school stranded wire stuff we've used for years. Even though it might "work fine" for you it goes against what manufacturers recommend and I wouldn't want to see an issue occur for someone from doing this and breaking the lead from bending it too sharply under an antenna cap. Keep in mind that only the last inch is the actual antenna and the rest is just a leader so by folding it over it's possible one can potentially alter it's effectiveness. Not trying to get into a debate over what works fine for you, if you've been fortunate enough not to have any issues more power to ya but I'd hate seeing someone's boat trashed from us inferring that it's fine to ignore something a manufacturer tells you not to do.

Merry Christmas to you too!
default_smile.png

Back