epoxy clear ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertWurster

I have read and serched but will any paint such as duplicolor rattle can paint work with 2 k epoxy primer and clear.Will it be 60 % nitro safe.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Duplicolor is not fuel proof, so even if you have a fuel proof clear fuel can ruin your paint job. Plus not sure if the duplicolor would stick to the primer. Best to use epoxy all the way or epoxy with the 2k clear.

Well i decided to just use klass kote epoxy paint and clear.Im going to use there yellow.and grey primer.

If your just looking for basic colors Rustoleum professional is fuel proof ( its in a silver can ) and can be clear coated.

Here is another idea if you need kandy colors. Those colors sold in 4 oz ready to spray bottles. Silver basecoat also sold in 4 oz bottles. I usually reduce it a little with the appropriate speed reducer but not necc. $11.00 a bottle isnt to bad. Sprays nice and I use a HF HVLP touch up gun.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/ksukb.aspx

Z-poxy finishing resin works fine with 65% for me.. but I only seal the boat with it.. not a real think clear finish like some do..

I had 30% eat into Z-poxy and stain the wood. I also found it to be brittle and lack strength when compared to West Systems

To answer your question. If the duplicolor is enamel you should have no problem. The key is to let the dupicolor sit a MINIMUM of 24 hrs before covering. This will allow the gasses to escape. I have used enamel rattle can paint followed by a polyerithan paint and clear many of times. As for being 60% nitro proof. Good luck, if you wipe it off right away yes. If not 60% will eat any paint if it sits on it for any lenth of time, esecially in the sun.

If Z-poxy is not fuel proof, I am in trouble. I used it to mold a couple of fuel cavities and I also used it to fuel proof the engine bay. I did not paint over the Z-poxy with epoxy paint. Can someone please confirm if nitro will soften and lift the Z-poxy? If so, I need to paint the parts before running the boat for the first time.

I have used zpozy finishing resin many times with very good results. It as good as west or maus,.. no,.. but in my experience it's easier to get, cheaper and has worked for me many times. Now I don't use it to create fuel tanks,. but it's exposed to all the residual fuel from filling tanks,.. etc,.. and never had an issue..

I have used zpozy finishing resin many times with very good results. It as good as west or maus,.. no,.. but in my experience it's easier to get, cheaper and has worked for me many times. Now I don't use it to create fuel tanks,. but it's exposed to all the residual fuel from filling tanks,.. etc,.. and never had an issue..
Thanks. Good to know that you had no issue with it. I used it for the same reason. It is easy to get and in the quantity that I need. It is also thin enough to be brushed and to be used for laminating.

One thing I should have added is when the fuel hit the Z-poxy, it had only been 24 to 36 hours since application so that may have been a contributing factor. As far as the brittleness I encountered, that was after a couple of weeks when I was doing some reworking

I have had 60% sit on y2k clear overnight.. no problem
Yeah, 24hrs and not in the sun... I have had 60% sit on my boats that have been painted and cleared with Sherwin Willians automotive paint for days and not had anything happen. Other times it has eaten into it. The KEY is to let the paint bake in the sun and let the gasses escape while the paint/clear cures. I cant stress enough, to let the product sit for a good week or two before having any nitro around it. That is your best bet for nitro proof.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back