Krylon paint test

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

Just concluded a non sceintific test of Krylon satin ivory and sun yellow paint. Monday evening I painted and unprimed plywood piece with the 2 colors side by side.Weds less than 48hrs later I poured 30% nitro fuel on the paint and had no ill effects. After wiping down the paint I put more 30% on and let it sit overnight. Same result. Sample was oily and that's all. Today I put some 50% GR. fuel on and let sit about and hour. Same results. Maybe a little dull but that could be oill build up. Paint has not wiped off, it's just oily. I did this test because these colors are going on my new boat and I don't like to clear coat. Afraid I'll mess up a good paint job. Thought some of you would be interested in the results.

Ken

P/S sun yellow is very yellow although it does darken a little after dryig.

how soft did it make the paint? I bet you could easily push your finger nail into it? Or no? My experience has been that it eats it right up in no time. BUT, if not, that is even better for the guys like myself, that dont have all the paint equipment, etc.

how soft did it make the paint? I bet you could easily push your finger nail into it? Or no? My experience has been that it eats it right up in no time. BUT, if not, that is even better for the guys like myself, that dont have all the paint equipment, etc.
I still dont trust it..any paints that isnt actvated/two parts/with hardner nitro or gas will lift it.. Rod you and other guys can read my thread on rattle can painting..

i even listed a place that sell the urethance two part clear in a rattle can forum.. I tell you steps by step how to paint your boat by rattle can paint or by using a spray gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked and the paint is a little soft. Now my question is, did nitro cause it or the fact the paint wasn't aged,only coouple days old. Might have to do another test.

I still dont trust it..any paints that isnt actvated/two parts/with hardner nitro or gas will lift it.. Rod you and other guys can read my thread on rattle can painting..

i even listed a place that sell the urethance two part clear in a rattle can forum.. I tell you steps by step how to paint your boat by rattle can paint or by using a spray gun.
Have you tried Krylon clear urethane. It's one part and I wwonder if it would work.

Have you tried Krylon clear urethane. It's one part and I wwonder if it would work.
yes,didnt work..if you use krylon or dupi-color or plastic coat paints you must use a two parts clear on them. Clear and activator use a spray gun or this rattle can clear would do too

Just checked and the paint is a little soft. Now my question is, did nitro cause it or the fact the paint wasn't aged,only coouple days old. Might have to do another test.
I'm no paint expert, but I have painted many models with rattle can paints. I have used Krylon and Duplicolor before with great results. In my case, I always clear over my paint jobs with Imron 5000. IF I were unable use two part catalyzed clear coat, I WOULD AT LEAST use a clear coat like this http://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/ (DE1636 clear is at the bottom of the page) Why risk all the effort of a great paint job for a $5 can of clear? Hope this helps.

Some of my models painted with spray cans then cleared with Imron

DSCF1749.JPGSS850999.JPGDSCF1719.JPG

I'm no paint expert, but I have painted many models with rattle can paints. I have used Krylon and Duplicolor before with great results. In my case, I always clear over my paint jobs with Imron 5000. IF I were unable use two part catalyzed clear coat, I WOULD AT LEAST use a clear coat like this http://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/ (DE1636 clear is at the bottom of the page) Why risk all the effort of a great paint job for a $5 can of clear? Hope this helps.

Some of my models painted with spray cans then cleared with Imron

View attachment 26902View attachment 26903View attachment 26904
wont work because its a lacqure base and you know in time gas will lift it and nitro is a hotter fuel then gas. Imron is very costly and toxic paint that on the market today... I've used major paint companys budget paint line.. they all work great and really save you in the wallet..

"wont work because its a lacqure base"

Hey Miss H, the paint I linked to is Duplicolor Engine "ENAMEL". And you may be right, it may not hold up to nitro. However, it is formulated to withstand gasoline, which is way better than anything Krylon offers and certainly better than no clearcoat at all, as the original poster was suggesting.

Last edited:
"wont work because its a lacqure base"

Hey Miss H, the paint I linked to is Duplicolor Engine "ENAMEL". And you may be right, it may not hold up to nitro. However, it is formulated to withstand gasoline, which is way better than anything Krylon offers and certainly better than no clearcoat at all, as the original poster was suggesting.
my Joe used that on engines too but in gas will lift it too. Joe got fed up with it and used single stage urethane paint on his engines..Single stage for some of you that dont know it is,you dont need to put clear on it On engine aint and car paint is 75 degreese differents,but its actavated/hardner in it..... Alot of show car guys use automotive paint to paint there engines to match there cars or truck colors... On those engine paints to make them work ,is you have to bake your parts and engine block.

Followup on Krylon paint test started in May. Sample has been out in the weather since May after having raw 50% nitro poured on it and wiped off after setting overnite. I just wiped the sample down with window cleaner (Windex) and the paint has held up just fine. No color is wiping off. No bad effects to the paint that I can tell. Maybe lost a little gloss but not much. I would say this is fuel proof.

Followup on Krylon paint test started in May. Sample has been out in the weather since May after having raw 50% nitro poured on it and wiped off after setting overnite. I just wiped the sample down with window cleaner (Windex) and the paint has held up just fine. No color is wiping off. No bad effects to the paint that I can tell. Maybe lost a little gloss but not much. I would say this is fuel proof.
question? which Krylon? There new formula and old/orginal..The new version aint worth a crap..

I bought this paint in April this year on line from the Paint Store. This doesn't have the built in primer or whatever the new stuff is. Why can't they leave a good thing alone? I agree with you about 2part paints. I'm know there better.I'm on a budget big time so I will try almost anything to save money.Doesn't always work.

try this test..... same paint sample... place a few drops of nitro on it, then place a block of aluminum on top of the drops.... kinda simulating a motor mount.

really guys? Just get the can of 2 part clear and paint over anything but laquer.. I know it's $17 but man it really works well and has been as fuel proof as I have needed.. With mine boats I do a light cloat of epoxy and wipe it off... sand a bit, light primer, sand a bit, light primer, enamel color coat, dry over night, then spray on the 2 part clear from the can.. it really does work very very well...

THis is of course a basic paint job,.. but will really look nice..

I agree Anthony.... that's why i asked for that test as it will never survive.

TEST PASSED. Using the original paint sample that passed the other test, it passed again. Poured 30% nitro on paint and sat about a 1/2lb alum weight on it. Sat 26hrs outside. When I removed the alum all I had was and oily surface. Rubbed piant with my finger and the alum and it stuck. I have no reason to stretch the truth about test as I have nothing to gain from it,only that paint passed.

Ken

Latest posts

Back