.12 Texan SAW boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Friends, I have had requests for info on my .12 SAW boat so I though it would be easiest to just put it here. Overall the boat is very similar to all my other .12 SAW boats, it is very simple and straight forward aero and hydrodynamics. As I have mentioned before, the keys to success with a .12 boat is lite weight and a very free driveline. These little motors make almost zero torque and completely depend on being able to turn lots of RPM!! This is the heaviest .12 SAW boat I have built, but i guess it is still in the ball park! It weights 1 lb 6 oz ready to run. I use a .062" wire drive that will spin freely just by blowing on the prop. Some other details on the setup:

- Motor is the Novarossi Plus 12-3 SCT. It was given some good love by MTJ! He doesn't do very much inside and it has all the stock parts, but I swear he has some magic dust or something he sprinkles on them! All of the records Kentley, Martin, and I have set in IMPBA over the last 5 or more years have been this same model motor with the MTJ magic applied!

- Prop is one of the new ABC 1523's. it was absolutely stock except I ground out a little of the cup in the trailing edge. I also ran a completely stock one with the cup and although it ran every pass in the 94-95 range, it just wouldn't let the motor step up to the next level.

- Pipe is one I built using a design from Scott Bouchie. We talked a little about what we though was needed and then he worked his magic and sent me a drawing. I built it just like all of my Texan pipes and BINGO worked awesome! I also made one a bit shorter, but it wouldn't step up like the original one Scott drew. By my pretty basic calculations and guessing at the prop slip, it was turning very close to 40,000 rpm by the end of the run! I'm thinking the pipe works!!!

- Fuel for the record runs was some 70% with lots of castor oil that John Otto mixed up for me. I am NOT one of those folks that think less oil is faster! this fuel had 18% total oil with about 10 oz of it being good ole castor. I normally run PowerMaster 60% in everything and had actually beating the old record with it, but decided to see what another 10% nitro would do for me…it definitely added another stage to the motor! Can't say enough good things about John, thanks for hooking me up! And along with that I can't say enough good things about both Technology and PowerMaster fuels!

My next goal is for one of you to go break this record! If you have ever talked to me about .12 hydros, or any hydro in general, you know I keep no secrets!! If you ever have questions about your boat, or my boat or just boats in general, please feel free to give me a call!

I will try to post a few pics of my boat…

GQ

Very cool Glenn! I especially like the razor blade turn fin
default_smile.png

Oh yes, another very important Thank You…in addition to working on my motor, Martin has been a huge influence and has made me MUCH smarter in setting up and tuning motors. I have been lucky enough to know many of the best boaters around…Martin is the best i've seen! Thanks buddy!

GQ

Glenn,

AWESOME article well done. I am not sure if people really know

how much effort went into your record?

We are going to try to push the 12 motors over 39,000 RPM.

I am sure the propeller has more in it as well as the motor and pipe combination.

Your boat is special for sure, just like you.

I am so happy that the elusive 100 MPH has been broken by a 12-Hydro.

I agree with you also, Martin is one of the BEST FOR SURE.

Great Job, What An Impressive Record 103+ MPH,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Glen

That boat looks like it would go 100.00 plus !! Very Aerodynamic !

And 1 lb 6 oz . RTR that is light !

What is the wrap that you use on the pipe ?

Ty

Thanks guys!

Ty, that is a silicon wrap that Martin had. I have never it used it before, and I can't say for sure if it helped set the record, but I'm not going to another record trial without it!

GQ

Way to go Glen!!! Goodthing Donna supports your hobby endevores!! When is the first woman going to set 100+ mph? Or maybe it will go 104?? You guys take care, I was a pleasure meeting you and Donna at the NAMBA nat's in 2014 in Washington!

Brad

These little motors make almost zero torque and completely depend on being able to turn lots of RPM!! This is the heaviest .12 SAW boat I have built, but i guess it is still in the ball park! It weights 1 lb 6 oz ready to run. I use a .062" wire drive that will spin freely just by blowing on the prop.
very cool outrigger design! Amazing that a .062 wire can function as drive-shaft? I was thinking you guys were using .150 dia cable.........

Thanks guys!

Ty, that is a silicon wrap that Martin had. I have never it used it before, and I can't say for sure if it helped set the record, but I'm not going to another record trial without it!

GQ
I have had hot pipes coated to retain heat ,With ceramic coating . And on my old 2 stroke drag bike pipes . I will try and find some

of that wrap .

Ty

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Glen and all parties involved as you have inspired all of us to step it up. I know myself to be one and I'm sure several others will do the same as a new .12 hydro is in the works. Thank you for all the details about your boat as it will help with future designs.

Dale

I picked the perfect record trial for my first experience. Seeing and hearing that .12 was AWSOME!

You and Donna are always so much fun.

Back