ATLAS VAN LINES BUILD

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark couty

My 35 chevy has taken more time to be top notch than I expected. My street rod comrades joke that it is the "RIDLER " contender, if you know what the "RIDLER" award is. Now its back to the AVL build. Also,THANK YOU to "CHEERS BOB" for getting me kick started. somewhere in a post he mentioned I hadn't finished a boat yet, maybe this will be the year. Enjoy the pics.

avl saga 002.jpg

avl saga 003.jpg

avl saga 004.jpg

avl saga 007.jpg

avl 35 chevy vga 004.jpg

avl 35 chevy vga 006.jpg

It is actually a Dumas 82 Atlas. I am using the 81 cowl from RC BOAT Co. to make it the 81 Atlas.I have had to do more modding and fitting than I thought I would.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be better off completing it as the 82 boat and build the 7701 hull from plans so that you don't have to do a lot of rework to make it "close"

My 35 chevy has taken more time to be top notch than I expected. My street rod comrades joke that it is the "RIDLER " contender, if you know what the "RIDLER" award is. Now its back to the AVL build. Also,THANK YOU to "CHEERS BOB" for getting me kick started. somewhere in a post he mentioned I hadn't finished a boat yet, maybe this will be the year. Enjoy the pics.
Mark,David

I have the paint codes when your ready for paint, Don Mock supplied them.

Thanks. Worked on the cowl this weekend. Cut out the air ducts, cockpit and exhaust exits. Attachment points have a gude pin and magnet. I found magnets at Home Depot at 7/8" O.D. These babys are strong. I can pick up the boat by the cowl. Cowl will drop straight down an pull straight up. Nothing is permanent yet except the glued on framework. also got the support struts for the rear wing on

continue atlas 2 001.jpg

continue atlas 2 002.jpg

continue atlas 2 003.jpg

continue atlas 2 004.jpg

Mark. looking at your cowl pictures it's hard to tell, but are you exhaust outlets completely boxed in on the inside (IE: sealed off) Only reason for me asking, leaving them open top & bottom is a great way to get clean air into the cowling.

You will want all of the air you can get.

While Rick and I don't often see things the same way, in this case we do. If the area around your stacks is closed off, you're not going to get the engine to run reliably with the cowl in place. With the limited area that air can now enter the cowl, under the cowl edges and the holes in the rear, it would be like covering the air intake to you car's engine with the exception of a .5" hole. While it will still run, put a load on it and it will die due to lake of air

Leave it to Rick to slam me, even when I agree with him. It's really too bad he seems to think it's justified, considering that with 30+ years building and running hydroplanes, I've never once claimed to be an expert. I guess that's what happens when you learn about design, set up and building from the pioneers of scale and founding members of R/C U, including the Czar himself as well as several multi-time R/CU season highpoint champions. Others have to try to make themselves look good by running you down. Do you all feel better, now that you've tried to make me look bad, again?

Rick agreed with you, Why do you think it is a slam? You are both right.

It reads like a slam to me, Glenn.

When someone says that their life is complete since one of their posts was "finally accepted by the RESIDENT EXPERT", which is referring to me, I can't read it any other way

OK guys be nice !! YES, at this time they are completely boxed in. They have not been glued into the cowl just yet.I just taped them in for the photo. I needed the box set up so I could make sure everything would fit. Working the cowl has been somewhat tedious.This ain't a Dumas kit no more, it has gotten beyond that. But I will also call it my mistake boat at the same time. What I learn from this modded build will make my next one even better. What I planned to do was drill breather holes, hopefully where they would not be too obvious, in the boxes themselves. Would this work ? Suggestions on doing this are welcome. Also should I leave the wide ends of the NACA duct open for the same reason ? I kind worried I would be leaving a lot of places open for water to enter the boat.

Water isn't that big of issue if you install drains to let the water out. My Elam has drains through the bottom, a sponge under the carb and raised rails along the edge of the engine bay inside the cowl to help keep water from entering. Having the big Budweiser style turbine air scoop kind of defeats the purpose of all the water control features but they do help. One thing to remember, any drain you put through the bottom needs to be lined so that the wood isn't exposed to water as it drains or when the boat is sitting still

Back