Epoxy glue

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack,

I prefer West System 105 Resin and 207 Hardener for building and sealing wood boats. It has great mechanical properties and has a UV agent to help prevent the epoxy from turning amber/yellow.

I have to agree with Joe, West Systems. What I like about it is that you only need to buy one resin. All the hardeners and additives work with that one resin so, even though it's spendy, it's still cheaper in the long run. The other nice things about West Systems are that it was developed for use in a marine environment so it won't degrade around water like some can and you can buy pumps for an exact mix

And please, lastly head all warnings from West Systems regarding PPE. When you become sensitized it’s too late.

Grim

West system is a good all around epoxy for wood, standard class weaves and some composite materials. If you work with Carbon or Kevlar it is not your go to epoxy

Doug

Okay Doug what's your go to epoxy for Carbon and Kevlar? We've used the west system products on both with very good results for many years but are always looking for improvements.

Thanks, John

Can I ask, have those who have use West Systems and say they love it, used anything else to compare to it? I like West, but have not used anything else (easy enough to get also). There are other options I have seen like Bote Cote and MAS for example.

I know Mike L changed to a different epoxy and likes it, hope he can chime in here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use West but East is a little cheaper and supposedly not as corrosive so it can be shipped by mail I don't think it has any significant difference but I started using West and have stuck with it. What is your go to epoxy for carbon??? I have made carbon cowls with West and works fine but is there something better?

Brad

http://www.raka.com/

Last time I ordered epoxy I went with Raka. It's way cheaper than West and works awesome. I ordered the non-blush hardner. After 8 hrs dry time you can sand without clogging your paper. I prefer not to use pumps because I found I wasted a lot. Sometimes one pump is just too much and if you leave it sitting for a while the pumps lose their prime. 2-1 mix is an easy measure as well. Works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loctite 9412 Hysol Epoxy Adhesive Is the epoxy of choose for carbon and Kevlar This is the epoxy I use for carbon to carbon bonding.

And is a highly proven adhesive in the airspace industry.

Doug

West Systems, It just work for me, and they offer a series of additives that work in different applications, joints, sheet finishing, structural repairs.
+1!

I use a gram scale to get a good mix and not waste it. 5g resin to 1g hardner (206) works for lots of small stuff.
default_smile.png

Jack, PM me your email address and I will send you the info on the special sauce that we use.

I still use West Systems for general wood boat building, but for sealing and fiberglass/carbon layups it's not the way to go.

Kelly,

I'll spill the beans. You have to admit it's a little cruel to keep this one a secret.

I've been using the Resin Research Composite Pro series of resins and hardeners for several years. In particular 2050 resin and 3100S hardener. It's one of the best handling epoxy systems I've ever worked with (that's a long list), and it's a screaming deal ($75/gallon kit). Low viscosity so resin flow while under vacuum is good. It wets out cloth better than anything I've used including MGS.

The German made MGS epoxy has slightly better physical properties, but not by much. Certainly not enough to justify more than double the cost, at least not for our application. There may have been some Shell Chemical Epon resin systems that were better but they aren't really available to the public (I still miss Epon 815, but that stuff was seriously toxic).

Tried MAS but didn't like the way it handled. Miapoxy is an option but I still like RR the best. I usually build molds with Jeffco epoxy.

I wouldn't build a doghouse with west. Flame suit on!!!
default_ph34r.png

Kelly,

I'll spill the beans. You have to admit it's a little cruel to keep this one a secret.

I've been using the Resin Research Composite Pro series of resins and hardeners for several years. In particular 2050 resin and 3100S hardener. It's one of the best handling epoxy systems I've ever worked with (that's a long list), and it's a screaming deal ($75/gallon kit). Low viscosity so resin flow while under vacuum is good. It wets out cloth better than anything I've used including MGS.

The German made MGS epoxy has slightly better physical properties, but not by much. Certainly not enough to justify more than double the cost, at least not for our application. There may have been some Shell Chemical Epon resin systems that were better but they aren't really available to the public (I still miss Epon 815, but that stuff was seriously toxic).

Tried MAS but didn't like the way it handled. Miapoxy is an option but I still like RR the best. I usually build molds with Jeffco epoxy.

I wouldn't build a doghouse with west. Flame suit on!!!
default_ph34r.png
Brian,Thanks for the information.

Back