Props for 20 Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

Not having seen many of the new ABC Props, I don't know what people may be running on their 20 hydro that are superior to past props.

I always liked the 50x69 original ABC prop with some additional pitch/cup.

My favorite props for the 20 hydro have always been the 1450 or H7 with additional pitch/cup. These larger diameter props seem to stay hooked up better in race water.

I never liked the smaller 1445 diameter props because of the lack of "hook up".

What others am I missing. I would be interested in the performance that you are getting with your suggested prop if you know. I realize that boats are different, but I would like to see a cross section of possibilities.

Marty Davis

1450 full blade 3.5 pitch detonged

50 x 69 3.6 pitch full blade

1650 cut down ALOT if you can swing it.

chris

Are the replies that indicate 46mm props for CMD Boats? I have found that the smaller props do not stay hooked up very well in race water.

Thoughts.....

Marty Davis

Marty,

Dave Roach and I have been running the H-10, cut to just under 45mm and de-tongued with good results. I just recently tried an H-6, pitched to 3.6 and I like it ALOT. About the same speed as the H-10, but much easier in the turns and not as hard on the plugs. We have had no problem keeping them hooked up, ask around.

As for the other ABC props: The 1716 can't be beat for an all around heat race prop. The 1816 and the 1914 are worth trying.

Like Chris said is true about the 1650. If you've got the grunt, it's a usable prop. I've got a couple that are cut down to just over 43mm and de-tongued with varying pitches. One of them is my "show off" prop. It's difficult to get it off the bank, but once it's out there, GREAT GOOGALY-MOOGALY........... :blink: I think it's got somewhere around 5" of cup. About two years ago, Dave and I were at the Indy Polar Bear race, the only two B-Hydros there. In the last heat I dropped the monster 1650 on and away we went. His boat was running VERY well that day and I lapped him. Not a good heat race prop though. If we'd had any other traffic, it would not have worked out well. It's an all out or nothing prop.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I have run several props on my boat with good results. To name a few. H-5 w/3.5" cup H-7 w/3.2-3.6" cup and cut to 46mm. 1445 w/3.6 cup. H-10 @45mm 1450 w.3.2-3.6" cup and cut to 45mm. But I always go back to the good ole H-7. I run a MAC 21 so big diameter props are hard to pull.

As for the other ABC props: The 1716 can't be beat for an all around heat race prop..........
A matter of opinion as are all of our answers. For me the cut & cupped H-7 was faster on radar, better lap times & launched easier than the 1716 (both done by AB). As for staying hooked up that was never an issue for me on an SGX with MAC21. Preston ran both a Warlock and a Hummingbird with NovaRossi power, both were very fast on the 46mm diameter he mentioned. B)

Marty

at this point in time we are getting abc H10 made at 47mm

to use on our novarossi's

h7 46mm

1450 46-47mm

1650 46-47mm

regards Aaron

Don,

By "can't be beat", I don't mean the fastest. What I am referring to is this: When somebody asks me what would be a good prop to start with on a new 21 boat (pick one) I tell them the 1716. It's fast enough to get your heart racing, but very predictable. We have found it very easy to launch and easy to spin. You don't need a bunch of torque to get it off the bank or keep it cranking through the turns. Tony Jacuzzi took his BlackJack to a second place finish at the '04 (I think) Internats after being wet for only two weeks. He did it with a 1716, the one he's still running.

Marty,

Not to preach to the Pope, but I think you'll find that with a little downforce on a slightly deeper strut, you won't have any problems keeping a smaller diameter prop hooked up.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

at this point in time we are getting abc H10 made at 47mmto use on our novarossi's
Aaron,

FINALLY, somebody else who likes the H-10........

Thanks. Brac.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Don,
By "can't be beat", I don't mean the fastest. What I am referring to is this: When somebody asks me what would be a good prop to start with on a new 21 boat (pick one) I tell them the 1716. It's fast enough to get your heart racing, but very predictable. We have found it very easy to launch and easy to spin. You don't need a bunch of torque to get it off the bank or keep it cranking through the turns. Tony Jacuzzi took his BlackJack to a second place finish at the '04 (I think) Internats after being wet for only two weeks. He did it with a 1716, the one he's still running.

Marty,

Not to preach to the Pope, but I think you'll find that with a little downforce on a slightly deeper strut, you won't have any problems keeping a smaller diameter prop hooked up.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Brad:

I wish that was me and it was true but Bryan finished 5th in Heat racing with a DNF leading the heat and riding up a slow boats roostertail, Bryan was 2nd in Oval TT's and 3rd in SAW using the 1716. We have tried lots of props but always seem to come back to the 1716 as our best overall prop.. TJ.

I don't mind the H10 either.

Also H7 and 1450 - both at 46mm and cupped.

1650 was fastest in the straights but the lap times were consistently slower on my boat.

FF21 + Nova L/S

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad

we are getting them made to 47mm

so myself will run 46mm and others like a little more dia some like a little less,

will be running the new 35plus 21 novarossi on Sunday in my scorpion 21 rigger

will let you no how it goes and what props we tried,

regards Aaron

50X69 Orlic cut is what I now have on my Nova powered BlackJack , Irwin S-pipe.

Tested a number of props in Ohio at the TT and that was easily the best for me

Tim K

Last edited by a moderator:
In run the cut down 1450 @ 3.4 on my Diamondback GT. It's a light boat powered by an Orlic NovaRossi with a GadjetKraft pipe.

Marty,

Currently running: H-7, H-6, H-5, & S-15's with a #2 Profile, all are running very well

on my Stealth 21 with a CMB Greenhead Valvola 21,on 65% O'Donnell Fuel, and a

really short Irwin S-pipe set at 7" or less. Boat is running 82+ MPH in really clean

water and very good air with AWESOME RPM.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

Latest posts

Back