Custom Du-bro push rod threading and sizing - DIE Help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis Maglinger

I have some Du-bro push rods that have 4-40 & 2-56 rod and want to put some threads on it. I bought a K & S Metals 4-40 & 2-56 die and tried threading, but the threads were too small. Any help or recommendations is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Curtis

Those all have roll form threads. You probably purchased a cut thread die which would require a rod diameter of 3/32 for the 4-40 or 1/16 for the 2-56

Thanks John

Solder brass tubing to the rod then solder a threaded piece to it. Like John said the rod is smaller & won't thread.

Another option I make a aluminum piece that you side the rod in each end & tighten set screw to hold. I have them for 2-56 & 4-40 rods. I'll send a picture shortly

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You can also just force thread a threaded clevis onto a non threaded end of rod. Yea, it'll go on there (with some effort) and then solder the clevis to the rod. It's there forever. Always sand the rod before soldering.

John - Thx for the info. That roll thread tool is out of my leave.

Allen - Thx for the info, I was trying to do it without soldiering and extra pieces.

Mike - Thx for the info I was trying to do it without soldiering

I saw that some have used 1/8 Nickle alloy welding rods with the 4-40 die? Any other high strength rods tha would be strong for rudders that work with a 4-40 die?

Id stop by a welding shop and see if they would give you a piece of stainless steel TIG rod. 3/32 diameter. 1/8 diameter would be for a number 5 size thread not a number 4. Ive used music wire but its really hard and youd need really good and sharp die using Tap Magic cutting fluid which you should always use anyway.

Along the lines of what John has suggested... If you want 4-40 threads on a 1/8" SS TIG welding rod; you can cut the threads with a 5-40 die then go back and chase the threads with a 4-40 die.

McMaster.com is a great resource for "stuff" like this.

Later,

Mike

Along the lines of what John has suggested... If you want 4-40 threads on a 1/8" SS TIG welding rod; you can cut the threads with a 5-40 die then go back and chase the threads with a 4-40 die.

McMaster.com is a great resource for "stuff" like this.

Later,

Mike
I sometimes take an 1/8 SS TIG rod and spin the end I want to thread down to 3/32 on a belt sander with a 220 belt. You only have to remove about .030 off the O.D. or .015 per side. The threads are less critical if youre using plastic rod ends, more critical if youre using metal rod ends.

Thanks John

Amazon bought Small Parts Inc and you can get 18-8 ss all thread 4-40 X 36" for $11. Way, way stronger than any of the junky hobby store stuff.Takes a bend without breaking. Great for linkages. Works for wing struts on scale boats. Get some 5/32 alum tubing and slide it over the all thread and the wing struts look pretty authentic.

Hi:
John - Thx for the info. That roll thread tool is out of my leave.

Allen - Thx for the info, I was trying to do it without soldiering and extra pieces.

Mike - Thx for the info I was trying to do it without soldiering

I saw that some have used 1/8 Nickle alloy welding rods with the 4-40 die? Any other high strength rods tha would be strong for rudders that work with a 4-40 die?
pictures, please?

Back