Help Support IntlWaters by donating using the link above.
Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

speedmaster hardware

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#31 dwilfong

dwilfong

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

I run at the pond with Harry and Ross and thy are buds of mine.
Ross is are new club Pres (Orlando Culvert Dodgers)
Harry is reluctant to expand there product line as he has enough work to keep him busy as it is.
There is a need for some new product in the market.
Ross is looking to get a few niche pieces made and is having to farm them out at this point.
There material is not the hardest that can be used because of the tooling wear on a high production level and the cost restraints that go with it.
I have used Accu-tech and it is made from better material. real tough stuff.
I have also used B&B hardware and it is not as strong or the quality as the stuff Andy made.
So there is a need for some top notch hardware for those that want it.
But DUDE don't come out and call it JUNK.
What the H$ll where you thinking.

David

#32 Joe Warren

Joe Warren

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Speedmaster products use to be 6061 alloy & it is best on high production runs. 7075 is much harder But it kills the tooling also. Some others have made smaller runs on hard alloys & the cost was extreme. Rudder Blades today are one of the most abused parts on the back of a boat. All of my boats have Speedmaster or Seaducer Hardware & we have plenty of replacement parts to go with them incase of a wreck........ I dont know of a single hardware mfger or boat mfger that makes there product crash proof? Many times over the last 13 years of racing we move the speedmaster or Seaducer hardware to another hull after the boat hull is Worn Out.... So the Service life is 100% most all of the time. Maybe IF someone has a Design change for our current hardware needs? it dont make everyones else product BAD...........

#33 Tom Foley

Tom Foley

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

JUNK!!!

You are disrespectful jerk for making this statement . Who the hell do you think you are to completely discredit a line of hardware that has been around for more than a decade , set more records , won more races and has been designed by a well respected Hall of Fame member Bill Mc Graw along with Harry at Speedmaster and much input from racers , than anything you will produce .
What have you done ?? Maybe there are some finer points that some guys would like to change but to say this line or Accutechs line is junk just shows your azz . These lines are well made , available , and reasonably priced . Lets see what you can do to overshadow their good points hotshot !

Put me on the list , which is very long by now , of boaters whom will NEVER buy anything from you . Nice job shooting yourself in the foot pal .
Posted Image

#34 FloridaScaleBoater

FloridaScaleBoater

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Damn, Go Fast,,,,

Not sure I know how you really feel!!!!! can you be a little more specific..

See ya in a month or so BUDDY

#35 Steve Seebold

Steve Seebold

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

JUNK!!!

You are disrespectful jerk for making this statement . Who the hell do you think you are to completely discredit a line of hardware that has been around for more than a decade , set more records , won more races and has been designed by a well respected Hall of Fame member Bill Mc Graw along with Harry at Speedmaster and much input from racers , than anything you will produce .
What have you done ?? Maybe there are some finer points that some guys would like to change but to say this line or Accutechs line is junk just shows your azz . These lines are well made , available , and reasonably priced . Lets see what you can do to overshadow their good points hotshot !

Put me on the list , which is very long by now , of boaters whom will NEVER buy anything from you . Nice job shooting yourself in the foot pal .
Posted Image

Tom, I come from 40+ years in the aerospace and defense industries where this kind of stuff would be rejected as defective product.

I have to think it would be easier to make rudder standoffs in one piece instead of two or three. It saves machine time and it saves hardware. It eliminates 2 stainless steel screws, nuts and washers. I know that's only about 30 cents on each part, but when you consider hundreds or thousands of parts, that adds up to a lot of money by the end of the year.

I was in a pissy mood the other night when I made that statement. Will I retract my statement? No. Would I communicate improvements I think they could make to their line? Absolutely. Would I suggest tooling improvements which would bring down manufacturing costs? Again, absolutely. Would I make prototype stuff for them? You can count on it. Will I share some of my secrets with them? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

#36 Nigtmare

Nigtmare

National Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

JUNK!!!

Posted Image

Tom, I come from 40+ years in the aerospace and defense industries where this kind of stuff would be rejected as defective product.

I have to think it would be easier to make rudder standoffs in one piece instead of two or three. It saves machine time and it saves hardware. It eliminates 2 stainless steel screws, nuts and washers. I know that's only about 30 cents on each part, but when you consider hundreds or thousands of parts, that adds up to a lot of money by the end of the year.

I was in a pissy mood the other night when I made that statement. Will I retract my statement? No. Would I communicate improvements I think they could make to their line? Absolutely. Would I suggest tooling improvements which would bring down manufacturing costs? Again, absolutely. Would I make prototype stuff for them? You can count on it. Will I share some of my secrets with them? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

It seems to me that you are in a pissy mood all the time <_< you sound like a 16 year old that knows a all and NOT 68 maybe its time you act your age

#37 RobertWurster

RobertWurster

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Wow nicely said Tom,I want to stay on your good side. :lol:

#38 Don Ferrette

Don Ferrette

World Racer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,931 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Enough of the caustic posts, any more and this thread is toast. Be civil and resolve the situation............

#39 Steve Seebold

Steve Seebold

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

Enough of the caustic posts, any more and this thread is toast. Be civil and resolve the situation............

Don, can I send you a set of running gear for a gas mono and have you evaluate on Intlwaters?

Or can you recommend someone who could give an honest impartial opinion inspite of what I said?

I would like someone to install it on a boat, run it and tell everyone here what they think.

I gave one gentleman willing to do so already. His parts will go out in the next two weeks. I would like a couple more.

#40 Steve Seebold

Steve Seebold

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Here is some stuff I made for a guy over on Model Gas Boats.com.

It really fits into what my shop is for. I like doing one off parts.

I made the engine rails, and all the small parts you see in the pics.

My real specialty is one to twenty-five pieces. Any more than that and I get really bored, then my production rate falls way off because I would rather go sit on my arse and watch TV than run parts.

When that happens, I'll break off at 25 pieces and do something else then come back later to finish, or run 25 more.

Attached Files

#41 RobertWurster

RobertWurster

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Thosr are nice parts,In the future you may want to show your work.not just coment on parts that have been helping boaters along time.

#42 Don Ferrette

Don Ferrette

World Racer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,931 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Don, can I send you a set of running gear for a gas mono and have you evaluate on Intlwaters?

Or can you recommend someone who could give an honest impartial opinion inspite of what I said?

I would like someone to install it on a boat, run it and tell everyone here what they think.

I gave one gentleman willing to do so already. His parts will go out in the next two weeks. I would like a couple more.

I stopped running gas boats a couple years ago and only run hydros anyways. What other parts do you make?

#43 Steve Seebold

Steve Seebold

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I stopped running gas boats a couple years ago and only run hydros anyways. What other parts do you make?

Don,

Monos are my first love but I am slowly increasing my line. Last winter I made a bunch of running gear for a local boater who runs and sells nitro and gas riggers. Now I am waiting for a new cat from RC Boatworks so I can design and make hardware specifically for that boat.

I am also working in some 21 size rigger hardware for a boater here on Intlwaters.

I started making running gear for gas monos because that's what I run, and I couldn't find hardware that was up to my standards so I made my own and when one of the locals saw it, he offered to buy it off the back of my boat.

Now I have a Whiplash GV that's about 4 years old and it has NO holes in it yet. I plan on starting on it shortly after the new year.

I am "ONE PICKY S.O.B." when it comes to the quality of the parts I put on my boat. So picky in fact that if I won't put it on my boat, I won't try to sell it to you.

If I won't put it on my boat, it gets cut in half and goes in the trash.

Last winter I made a run of 40 struts for a local gas guy, and when I finished them, I noticed that the nose taper was .005 to .010 off center. They went in the trash right then.

I built some hardware for crackerboxes a few years ago that really crowded the rules. The NAMBA rule says nothing more than 4 inches back from the transom, so I made my rudder assembly 3.995 inches from the transom to the trailing edge of the rudder and I always had a depth micrometer with me at the races.

I have made several changes since then, but the 3.995 inch dimension will never change.

I'm getting into gas trucks now as well.

Steve

#44 Steve Seebold

Steve Seebold

Club Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

I was just reading in another forum that someone is looking for a 40 sized CMDI rudder that apparently is no longer available. This topic sort of goes to what I am talking about with the comment I made at the beginning of this post.

The really good parts are becoming harder and harder to find because there are guys out there who will mass produce a product and sell it so cheap that no one else can compete.

The guys who mass produce parts can obviously keep a bunch of stuff on the shelf so they are able to keep their prices down and when someone needs something in a hurry, they look lilke a hero because the mass producer can pull it off the shelf and ship it.

Most of the time when I make something, I don't like to make more than 25 pieces, with the exception of rudders. When I make rudders, that's a different story.

I'll make about 170 rudders at a time because that's how many I get out of a 3 foot sheet of material with the grain going the right direction. I will make some compatible with the Speedmaster steering horn, and I'll also make some proprietary parts for some local builders I build running gear for.

Unlike other hardware builders, I will build hardware that is exactly what you want for your boat, and if it's not, you can send it back and I'll refund your money.

Granted, you probably won't be able to go to the guy at the table next to you and borrow a replacement part, but on race day, you shouldn't have to replace anything.

I have seen a few rudders fail during a high speed heat race. That's because they are most likely made from the wrong material. Most rudders are made from 6061 aluminum. Sure it's an aircraft grade aluminum, but it's the cheapest aircraft grade material you can buy. I make all my rudders from 7075, and I tell people who want rudders made from 6061 they'll have to have them made somewhere else.

Here's an example. Speedmaster and Insane borh sell their 6 inch rudder assembly for $60.00. Mine is $65.00, but the cooling line on mine goes through the standoff so you don't have that unsightly hose flopping around on the back of your boat.

Right now, I make running gear for gas boats, but that's only because no one has asked me to make any hardware for the 67 and larger nitro boats. I have a couple of requests for some small nitro stuff, but I just don't seem to be able to get my head around it.

Am I trying to apologize for or retract the comment I made at the beginning of this post? Absolutely not. You can't unthrow a rock, or unsay a word.

The only thing I will do is to produce the best product I know how to make. If that's not good enough for the people on this forum, then for that, I am sorry.

#45 Tom Foley

Tom Foley

World Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Never had a Speedmaster 6061 rudder fail except bent one in a violent crash . My twin 91 Roadrunner runs over 90 mph and is driven aggressively as one must in heat racing , rudders work great . Could it be faster with a different rudder ? Probably but you have to be able to actually get it ..and afford it .

The only way for you to get in the hardware business is to study existing sizes , build your new widgets test them under racing conditions , get them on the market at a reasonable price and have them in stock . This is how Speedmaster , Accutech , Rum Racing ,Insane CMDI did it , the guys actually ran boats and developed the hardware .
tGood Luck in your venture .