JAE 90 couple questions before building

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHail

I'm about to start cutting templates and parts and had a few questions and was wondering if there have been any refinements since the plans were released in 2010.

What is the outside width of the sponsons? I'm assuming 24" but wanted to confirm.

For the sponson tubes is 1/2" pultruded carbon the recommendation? If so I was planning on using 5/8" od 1/2" id aluminum in the tub and sponsons.

What is the location of the turnfin? Unless there is an addendum I don't see it on the plans.

For the starboard sponson should I use 1/4" ply on the inside face to handle the forces of the turnfin?

Baitlocker, yay or nay? I was thinking about just eliminating the bait locker and extending the radio compartment.

Thanks!

I use 1/2" 6061 aluminum boom tubes with .030" wall. 24" to the outside. 1/8 and 1/4" doubler that incorporates the rear tube with 8/32 bolts. I use the Accutech turn fin.Make the bait box as it will help keep water out of the radio box and the seals from Zipp. Make the ski longer and at 2 degrees or 1.5, ski should end up under the engine. There is lots of room in the radio box but that is builder's choice. They run great even with the 67and you may want to add 1 1/2 to 2" to the tub length in the rear as that is what they are doing to the GT's coming out.

Brad

Hi Paul I'm building the Jae 67 GT short kit and 24" to the outside looks good even for a .90 boat.Boom tubes are a personal choice and I use carbon ones.the total lenght of this .67 boat is 40" and my 101 fiber boat is 44" ..so in my opinion you shoud enlongate the tub as the 2010 boat is only 36"..kind of short....I will post pics of this boat soon and good luck with yours.Gill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input, and nice looking boat Dr. Turner.

I cut out the sponson templates from 1/8" lexan and will cut out the tub templates from lexan as well. Need to head over to my buddies shop to use his table saw and belt sander to square up the templates and rip the sides of the tubs.

It's interesting comparing the 45/67 and 90/101 sponson templates as the 45/67 sponsons are about 2" longer (though narrower)

The other interesting thing is the boom locations for the 90/101 templates seem like they are too high on the sponson as the if I drill them that high there is no way I can use 1/2" booms let alone 5/8" od aluminum tube to mount the booms in.

The front one's are high but that's why I use 1/2" booms otherwise you need to drop the tub and sponson location. I make a cowl for the 90 also.

Brad

DSC_0740.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc

How can I get in touch with Mark? Also, what did you do for motor mounts in the JAE 90?

Bill Hoch

Stuart, FL

Marks phone number 256-303-6423

We build the mounts out of Delrin

Mark machined them out

The motor mount is attached through the sides of the boat, rubber grommets and nylon bolts 1/4 24

After a few years of procrastinating I finally have my Brad built OPS 90 powered JAE almost ready to run. Just waiting on a fuel tank. Should be interesting to say the least.

20170420_203831.jpg

20170420_203846.jpg

20170420_203859.jpg

After a few years of procrastinating I finally have my Brad built OPS 90 powered JAE almost ready to run. Just waiting on a fuel tank. Should be interesting to say the least.
Oh ya nice it should book!!! So if you could it would be great to see a video.

Do you have space for a 48 ounce tank? Isn't that what it takes for an OPS 90 to make it through a heat?
Sorry Greg should be 1/2 of that. that's the more than I run in my twin lol.

Back