• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

LF underwater universal joint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

Building a nostalgic project and want to use period correct underwater universal articulated joint.

Thanks,

Don't know if this is what you are looking for. New old stock.

Octura universal joint # OC610ml

1z73f9x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kez I run this set up on my FE 1/8 68 Bardahl. Octura 3/16 hardware through out, close to what MarkScott just posted, his is 1/4 to 3/16 which also works just depends on what size you want to use.IMG_2018.jpg

Mark, I am looking for a U-joint that connects 3/16 shaft to a 3/16 stub shaft. Exactly what Mike is using on his Bardahl.

Mike, this is exactly what I want to use. It is interesting to see that articulated drive is still being run today.

I will find the part #'s for you. The best part is I don't use any lubrication, grease, oil, ect.. teflon bushings in stuffing box and strut and they last a long time.

Kez, take it you are passing on what I have? No issues if you do, it was a shot in the dark.. Jamie, just waiting on a reply back.

Building a nostalgic project and want to use period correct underwater universal articulated joint
What you want, most-likely, is the Octura Underwater Universal Joint, Part No. OC-610F/M (similiar to what is shown in Mike's image). This was the most popular type of underwater universal joint used back-in-the-day (for connecting 3/16 main solid shaft-to-3/16 solid stub shaft).

The Octura Universal Joint image (Part No. OC610ML) Mark Scott posted is used for connecting the engine to the main drive shaft inside the engine compartment (1/4-28 engine thread-to-3/16 solid shaft).

You can purchase these items directly from Octura Models: (847)674-7351

Octura_UnderwaterParallelShaftConfig_UJoint-OC610FM.pdf

Attachments

• Octura_UnderwaterParallelShaftConfig_UJoint-OC610FM.pdf
    321.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jamie and Mark,

Thanks for asking. But I am looking for an underwater U-joint. Not the engine coupling. Jamie, please go ahead if what Mark has is what you need.

kez

Kez, David Bryant has posted the part numbers and a cool diagram of what you are looking for. Thank you.

Hi David,

Thanks for the information. That is the part I am looking for.

Mike,

I am actually partial to hard shaft or articulated drive. I find that they run more freely than a cable set up. I am surprised to see that you are running it in your FE. Yes I like those lead Teflon bush as well but I do put a few drops of light oil between runs.

Thanks,

kez

Kez, we have built 7 FE boats since 2011 all with articulated shaft. The main guy behind the builds of our boats has been building and racing boats since the early 70’s, so some habits are hard to break lol...We have recently gone to flex in one of the boats and runs just as good and like you said articulated shaft runs smooth no drag. The bushings are not the lead type they are pure Teflon round stock found on eBay that we machined down and pressed into the strut and stuffing box no oil..feel free to message me if you have any more questions. Thanks, Mike

Back