My NEW TOY

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr gary turner

Have always wanted a vertical mill for years. Well decided to buy one. Had it shipped to Mark Bullard's MOTOR SHOP where they could handle the delivery. It weighs about 1100-1200#.

Mark put the DRO on it.

Next challenge was getting from his shop in Decatur and to my shop. It was a challenge.

It would not clear my garage door. So we remove the motor that raised and lowers the head of the mill but still no go. So bought two floor jacks and took the wheels off of the trailer and put floor jacks on each corner of the trailer and pulled the trailer with mill on trailer in the shop.

Next prob was to lift the 1200# mill off the trailer and set it on a rolling dolley.

Mark game up the plans to get it in. He then strapped a steel bar to 4 of the ceilings floor joiced.Then he hung a 2000# chain hoist and we lifted it off the trailer and set on a rolling dolley and Rolled it into place. We wired it up to 220 in my panel.

Bottom line I was able to get a nice mill only with Marks help and planning and the help of Charlie Mason on of our boating club members.

The next challenge is learning how to use.

Doc, glad you finally got it in place, it's nice to have good friends and boating buddies. You should ask Steve Wood about getting his monster mill into his BASEMENT, as i recall it was just short of raising the house off the foundation! I really appreciate those individuals who can operate machine mills and lathes. Have fun with your new toy!

Wallster

funny, I'm closed to getting one of these (below). I'm figuring this particular model size would fit on top of my (1 1/4 thick) plywood bench and replace a small-medium size drill press. Would like to have capability to do basic functions- ie. motor mounts, and general. I like that I have a decent drill press & mill function at a decent price. And not too extremely heavy to move around. Grizzly will ship to my driveway for $125.00USD

Grizzly_MiniMillingMachine-G8689_01.jpg

Grizzly_MiniMillingMachine-G8689_02.jpg

Grizzly_MiniMillingMachine-G8689_04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Doc! You'll love being able to make your own parts right at home!
default_smile.png

Is the DRO from DRO Pro's? I'm thinking about one myself...

Nice one Doc. I have had one on my wish list for 10yrs plus. Just never can save up 5k for the one I want. Wife is spending it faster than I can bring it in. Just have to keep on using my combo machine till then.

A mill and lathe, be it CNC or manual like mine, are a nice addition to any shop or garage. Mine are older versions of what's pictured below:

3177CqSaSoL.jpg
31HC4KPPNGL.jpg

Guess I better measure my ceiling,just bought a lathe and bridgeport mill. Going to sell my lil Taig mill soon

Terry

The DRO was from Grizzly and has glass slides. Not to bad priced. But the DRO Pro you are talking about is first rate. I have three machines with DRO Pro on them. Easy to install and work very well. The DRO pro that we used has magnetic slides / pick ups and they work great.

http://www.dropros.com/

Doc

Enjoy you mill you will love it.

I love my Grizzly lathe and mill with digital read outs.

Dave Roach

Doc,

Don't forget the safety glasses. A hot chip in the eye is really a drag. They just stick. Ask me how I know.

Bob

And, don't forget to button your shirt all the way up. A hot chip on your chest is not fun.

Doc

Never underestimate the power of a machine.They will get you.I was working on the lathe one day with a piece of round stock turning threads.It was sticking out the back and I told a coworker to look out and the next thing i seen was his shirt was rap around the bar.You should of seen the look on his face.he didn't get hurt but he went to the rest room to clean out his pants.

Back