Not a boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carl,

I would be interested to see what kind of cylinder and pipe header you have for the Cox engine. Years ago my flying partner, B. B. Brown, had some Cox cylinders that had not been machined for the intake and exhaust ports. He also had a pipe header that was hand made to fit the cylinder for a single exhaust port. You would typically cut 3 intake ports and one exhaust port for a piped engine. I had a 1/2 A Proto Speed airplane ( monoline ) that was a lot of fun to fly years ago. You have a great looking little airplane here. Should be a blast to fly!

Dick Tyndall

Sweet!

What young men did without cell phones in the 1960,s and 70,s !!!!! Me included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet!

What young men did without cell phones in the 1960,s and 70,s !!!!! Me included.
Ain't that the truth. If it's not available on the internet, it can't be done seems to be the word now days. Almost had to laugh a few months ago. Was working on my gas scale at work(was a slow night) and had several people ask what kind of plane I was building. When I showed them the color sheet from the Newton plans I'm reworking and building from, they looked at me like I was crazy. More than one asked me why I don't just order a boat on line and save my time for running a boat that way. When I said the boat I'm building isn't available ANYWHERE in a RTR state and the engine alone will cost me around $1K, many just said good luck and others just shook their heads and walked away. It seems that the engine alone was more than they could comprehend for the entire completed boat

I used to fly control line but not speed. One day many years ago El Zorro talked me into flying one of his control line combat planes. After about a full minute of doing loops and figure 8s to try to keep from getting dizzy I screamed out " come get this thing I am going to crash it!" Dick just laughed and soon after I drilled it in the ground. At the exact moment that I Drilled it into the ground a spectator stepped on my u-control plane and destroyed it as well. Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue. LOL

John

I used to fly control line but not speed. One day many years ago El Zorro talked me into flying one of his control line combat planes. After about a full minute of doing loops and figure 8s to try to keep from getting dizzy I screamed out " come get this thing I am going to crash it!" Dick just laughed and soon after I drilled it in the ground. At the exact moment that I Drilled it into the ground a spectator stepped on my u-control plane and destroyed it as well. Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue. LOL

John
!964-65 I too became dizzy flying control line, lost it and it flew straight at me.
default_ohmy.png
Raised my arm at last minute and prop shreaded the sleeve on my winter coat.
default_wacko.png
Park was asphalt surface, crashed everything I owned. Started running tether cars after that.
default_tongue.png
Only thing I have left is the engine from the killer plane.
default_ph34r.png

CIMG0898.jpg

i too was dragged into the nitro world at the age of 12 flying control line planes.scale,combat,carrier and plylon racing.nothing like trying to jam your hand and wrist into a u shaped yoke before the plane is doing over 150 mph.. flew with the crazy 8's (ny) and we set the record of 10 planes flying in the circle at the same time.tried 11 and we all crashed. good times back then,sure do miss them,mike.

My memories too, I was a control line addict as a young boy, loved my Cox Golden Bees, Carl Goldberg model kits, especially my Li'l Satan combat stunt planes. I still have 2 Golden Bees and a couple kits just may have to (try) flying again sometime LOL There is a resurgence of a CL club with 2 flying fields in the DSM area now.

Wallster

I still recall my first CL take off with my .049 Spad. Full up elevator when my neighbor released the plane and an immediate ground loop. The local hobby dealer failed to tell me to take off with neutral elevator. Next time out I flew the Spad with just the lower wing. With enough power, you could get almost anything off the pavement.

JD

I still recall my first CL take off with my .049 Spad. Full up elevator when my neighbor released the plane and an immediate ground loop. The local hobby dealer failed to tell me to take off with neutral elevator. Next time out I flew the Spad with just the lower wing. With enough power, you could get almost anything off the pavement.

JD
Sounds like my first flight, Dad and I were clueless it went into a wing over and nosedived into the ground. Cox PT19 trainer actually survived to get my through the "training" period LOL

this is my 1959 Firebrat. My uncle buck gave it to me many years ago.

I flew it quite a bit as a kid and restored it a number of years ago.

hum.. looks like its trying to do a wingover...lol

20170315_191940.jpg

Teaching Peanut to fly.. many years ago... I still have the airplane (and a new kit on the wall too).. the plane will teach my gandkids to fly!

Grim

Dick;

The motor (i have 7 of them) are all set up with the standard (now days) 3 intake and a single exhaust.

The cylinder adapter is a home made one that clamps tightly around the cyl wall. Dale Kirn and I worked

and built the motors back in the mid 70's when I was stationed out at Castle AFB inCA.

As for speed, it is a constant 97mph on old school fuel. ( 70%N, 15% Castor, 10% Alky, 5% Prope)

I still have my old Hoyt Sidewinder pulsejets and am getting those ready for flying this spring and summer.

Hobby King carries reeds now and just ordered 40 of them to have in stock. As for fuel, I now have to use

80%N and 20% Prope. My old fuel was a mix of 4 parts Nitro, 1 part, alky, 1 part prope and 1 part Nitro Benzine.

And yes, I have to start using a stock retainer on the back of the head, the old one will not work with the new fuel. (AMA mandate)

I will try to take a few pics this weekend of the cylinder arrangement on teh motor for you guys.

Carl

p.s. I will also let ya know when I will be taking it out when the weather warms up and let you have a go at it. VERY easy to fly.

Not a lot of people flying speed nowadays. You go to the Nats and there are probably 2 maybe 3 guys that fly everyone's airplanes! Billy Hughes, Slugger Brown and Joey Mathison are names that come to mind. All the old guys are REALLY old, now.

I have an old "LIL' Burp" pulse jet that I built in the late 1960's and I also have one of Jerry Thomas' "Ironsides". It is one of the last upright designs from that series of all aluminum jets that he designed. Never flew that one. I was present in 1978 when Mike Langois, Elmer Huff, Bill Pardue and Tommy Hurlocker set the jet record at 213 MPH. That was the record before they changed the fuel rules. They were using 50% Prope and 50% Nitromethane. The airplane was the latest version of Mike's "Lil Burp" ( upright design ) that was published in Model Aviation magazine in the 70's. Mike has a machine shop in North Carolina and is making Henry Nelson's .40 Pylon engines with Jim Allen.

I am getting interested in building some of my "Toothpick" Combat airplanes for the Vintage Combat meets. A lot of old guys hanging around telling stories about how good they use to be sounds like a lot of fun!

Dick Tyndall

Back