New Head Button Machine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Bullard

I am putting the finishing touches on a 36" VTL (Vertical Turret Lathe). This machine is about 40,000 lbs. and has a 30Hp motor to drive it. It was built new in 1956 and used in a pipe mill in Birmingham. Been working on it for 2 years in my spare time. Lot of heavy parts with lots of gearing and hydraulics. My DRO should be here this week and will install it to help with the machining. I found chips in places that were 2" wide when we were cleaning it up. Bought it for scrap price and have spend just a little more than I paid for it on the rebuild. I have many pictures of the tear down and the rebuild if anyone wants to see them.

The first picture is before in the tear down.

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

Wow, now that's a machine.

Even has your name on it!
default_tongue.png

Mark;

I was a machinest (MR) on the US Sierra AD 18 in the early 60's. On ocassion ran a Bullard almost identical to yours except it was an older vintage.

The Model 75 was the first of their kind that could be setup with options what they call man-au-trol control. It was also the 75th year of the company. They had program drums that had many wires and switches. This kind of control was the first type of automated control like a CNC is today. Very cutting edge for 1957. The control pendant had over 300 wires and 60 switches to setup the speeds and feeds. I converted mine to a PLC and only have two wires for power and a network type cable to tie to the other Input/Outputs racks.

The table speeds are 8 rpm to 300 rpm and the feeds are 0.00065" to 0.125" per rev of the table.

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome job. Love to see something like that come back from the grave and get an upgrade to boot. Very Nice.

Very cool, Mark, some guys have all the fun toys! All kidding aside, looks like you did a fantastic job on the restoration and upgrades. I am no machinist but appreciate those like you who are.

Wallster

Looks great Mark. Things were built to last back then. Look forward to see what you are going to make on that!

Thanks all of you. It is hard to get a idea of just how big this machine is except that have worked with them. Here are a few pictures of the transmission gear box and where it goes.

Some of the pictures are before cleanup. The gearing was perfect and only needed cleaned up.

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Used a 43" model before. VERY rigid and accurate. And yes, enough HP to move material in a hurry.

Back