Futaba digital servos?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Anyone using Futaba S9155 or S9156? Incredible torque values, 340 oz-in for the 9156 on 6v.

Futaba says PPM can control digital servos, are my old 3EGX's PPM or did they use some sort of string and can modulation back then?
default_laugh.png

Terry, I think they're PPM, otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to convert them to 2.4, but I'm far from being an electronic wiz.

Steve Ball

Anyone using Futaba S9155 or S9156? Incredible torque values, 340 oz-in for the 9156 on 6v.

Futaba says PPM can control digital servos, are my old 3EGX's PPM or did they use some sort of string and can modulation back then?
default_laugh.png

Terry,

I have run the S9156 and S9157 servos for steering in several boats. No issues with older PPM, PCM or 2.4. I believe both of these are capable of using the faster frame rate available with the newest radio's.

So you should not have any issues.

TG

Terry,

I have had thick billet servo arms bend, mounts shear off and all sorts of bent pushrods occur before the servo losses hold or strips. Like others have said, make sure you have a stiff battery. Don't try running a little 350mAh pack with these servos.

TG

Terry,

I have had thick billet servo arms bend, mounts shear off and all sorts of bent pushrods occur before the servo losses hold or strips. Like others have said, make sure you have a stiff battery. Don't try running a little 350mAh pack with these servos.

TG
Thanks Ty for the practical advice!

Was running a very old 9204 rated at 132 oz-in but could move the rudder off center with my hand, maybe the motors get weak in time.

I like the Hanger 9 aluminum servo arms and use 1/8" ss rod for pushrod so the rest is solid.

Also, "Junior" Jefferson says my 5 cell, 1600 Mah NiMh packs should be good to go.
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep it is for us older guys that fly mode 1. There is not many people that I know still fly that way that are still around. One of the guys that I know of and just saw him last week is Steve Helms. He even fly's helicopters that way.

Look at the bright side, Terry. You survived long enough to call yourself an "old dog". That in and of itself is a major accomplishment in these days where two people in three can't drive a car for one minute without having to read, send or answer a text. All I can say is THANK HEAVENS FOR BLUETOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least that keeps people looking at the road instead of their smart phone's screen

Look at the bright side, Terry. You survived long enough to call yourself an "old dog". That in and of itself is a major accomplishment in these days where two people in three can't drive a car for one minute without having to read, send or answer a text. All I can say is THANK HEAVENS FOR BLUETOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least that keeps people looking at the road instead of their smart phone's screen
What's a smart phone? You mean phones are smart these days?

Kidding...
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back