Old North-wind Ed Fisher/Steve Muck

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Borden

I was asked if I had the North Wind.

I have the plug and can make a mold but will need to see if there is a interest in the 40 boat.

If so please let me know and we can see what can be done.

Thanks John

I have a Northwind 20 as well, hope to run it soon. But would really like to have a [new] Northwind 40, want to do some experimenting
default_smile.png

hay JD what was the motor of choice back then

I got Bob Preusse D45 Pocket Rocket

would like to put it back together the way it was

Marty
The Super Tigre 45 was popular. I think that's the engine I had in mine. Might have been a K&B 7.5. I raced it at the 1973 NAMBA Nats in Seattle.

JD
Dunny,

You probably had a K&B 6.5 in your Northwind....I don't think the 7.5 was introduced until '74....

Correct me if I am wrong....
default_huh.png
....I am wrong about a lot of things these days...ha ha....

The Northwind would really be a handful at todays speeds....

Rod

hay JD what was the motor of choice back then

I got Bob Preusse D45 Pocket Rocket

would like to put it back together the way it was

Marty
The Super Tigre 45 was popular. I think that's the engine I had in mine. Might have been a K&B 7.5. I raced it at the 1973 NAMBA Nats in Seattle.

JD
Dunny,

You probably had a K&B 6.5 in your Northwind....I don't think the 7.5 was introduced until '74....

Correct me if I am wrong....
default_huh.png
....I am wrong about a lot of things these days...ha ha....

The Northwind would really be a handful at todays speeds....

Rod
Hey Rod,

Probably was the 6.5 K&B. If memory serves me correctly, and many times it doesn't, Fisher won the '77 NAMBA Nats with a Prather Vee he chopped to lower the deck.

Dunny

Lets see photos of your boats? I would like a hull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed Fisher first produced the Northwind kits in the early 70's if I'm correct? At the time the mono hull "form-factor" (shape and average length) were suited to handle .19ci/3.1cc displacement for "A" class, and .40ci/6.5cc displacement for "B" class. I believe the Northwind 40 was even run in "C" mono using .60ci/9.8cc displacemen? Many racers were running popular loop-scavenged engines with Octura Kool-Klamps and flywheel's to convert to marine use. Eventually using popular schneurle-ported (airplane) engines (ie. modified K&B 6.5cc pylon racing power-plants,etc.,...), later marine versions.

The latter versions of the (Steve Muck-produced) Northwind kits were shown using .21ci/3.5cc and .45ci/7.5cc engines respectively.

I am working on the 40 size for know. if there is a old time like me out there that has a old 40 can you PM me please.

Thanks John

Are you looking for an engine or hull? When you say 40, that can be taken either way and I'm sure you don't want to be contacted by those offering you what you don't need

I am working on the 40 size for know. if there is a old time like me out there that has a old 40 can you PM me please.

Thanks John
Hi John,

To provide constructive input... The Northwind 40 size could be Super-Fast, if reproduced, but only for a select few. I would buy one just because I appreciate your efforts. But, in my opinion is not a current, race able design. Way to temperamental for today's racers. Plug and play is becoming the norm. Finesse is becoming a thing of the past, even for record trials. And for racing, it's not a viable design without significant development.

So you know, I grew up a neighbor to Ed Fisher in the Northwest. He was a mentor. I was 7 or 8 when I met him. He achieved more than 100 NAMBA records... My point is that he could break a record with an Apple-Crate!

You won't sell a lot of Northwind hulls to the mass market in my opinion.

Hydro Junkie (Mark) Are you serious? John is not looking to build engines... even a quick scan of the thread is clear... Your previous comment on this thread is almost more stupid than normal, but just barely.

Good luck John, send me a PM if you have any Q's.

DJ

Many years ago I had a Northwind with an OPS 40 for power and JG props. It was fast on flat water but was difficult when the water got rough. I never saw one run with a 60 size engine.

No question but that Ed Fisher developed some excellent designs for the time and power plants available.

Al Hobbs

Thanks John
Hydro Junkie (Mark) Are you serious? John is not looking to build engines... even a quick scan of the thread is clear... Your previous comment on this thread is almost more stupid than normal, but just barely.
DJ
There was NOTHING STUPID about my post. He is working on a 40 sized hull, no question on that. When he asks if anyone has an old 40, he could be asking for a hull he can use for parts, help with set up info or an era appropriate engine, do you know which? The post was vague so I was asking for clarification as to which he is looking for, not to be told I'm stupid by someone that hasn't had a boat wet in several years.

I'd love to have one , spent many hours watching Gene Adams make this boat just fly

I'd buy one... I'd convert it to FE.

Perhaps the added weight of the batteries would help calm it down

I'd like to try a 20 size also

I've recently discovered my original full-size plans for the Northwind 40 hull:
length = 32.5 inches

With today's power-plants I figure could'nt handle more than a .45ci/7.5cc engine.

Latest posts

Back