walt's non stainless tanks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitronewbie

after a couple of yrs off doing other stuff. I am going to get boats wet again here soon. Any suggestion on what to wash-rinse walt's tanks out with before fueling them again? I didn't think far enough ahead when I put boats up on the shelves. Motors got oiled and shafts were greased but nothing with my tanks. John

If fuel was left in them they are in my opinion junk. A gummy rusty residue will plague you for months,and its not worth screwing with

You can try putting some laquer thinner in the tank , a few ounces ,sit down with a few beers and keep shaking . Empty tank on to a paper towel and see what you have . I've done this a few times with success , just takes a while . A nice new tank is obviously better .

I cleaned my Boats and Motors but forgot to clean the tanks after a few years I decided I wanted to go boating again, I tried everything to clean them out brake cleaner, thinner, WD 40 soak and could not get rid of the little pieces of rust plugging up my needles, and my Boats ended up running lean and and quit running and then they became a magnet for other Boats to hit, and BAM!!! thats just what happened to one of them! you need to have Walt make you new tanks, thats what I did all new tanks,

I learned the hard way!!

Gregg

I've got a couple of beers in my man cave. Tom I'll try your suggestion first. Walt, I'll take an inventory. Thanks guys John

I've got a couple of beers in my man cave. Tom I'll try your suggestion first. Walt, I'll take an inventory. Thanks guys John
If your tanks are the older tin type, you may as well just save yourself a bunch of problems and get new tanks, as once the rust starts you will fight it until your ticked off, at yourself.

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Walt's Hobbies

Is Walt the only person in the US that can bend thin sheet metal & solder ?..Its not that difficult..Everything clean (very clean)

The right flux ,solder & plenty of heat..Did I mention CLEAN!!

Just wondering why people don`t make their own tanks..

Ian

Is Walt the only person in the US that can bend thin sheet metal & solder ?..Its not that difficult..Everything clean (very clean)

The right flux ,solder & plenty of heat..Did I mention CLEAN!!

Just wondering why people don`t make their own tanks..

Ian
to answer your question , no he is not . However he is a fine craftsman and does a great job . Like many phases of the hobby manufacturers supply parts and services to make this all go smoothly . Kudos to you if you make your own tanks but clearly your looking for a rebuttal by the nature of your question .

Maybe one could de-solder an end off, clean, resolder back on and test for leaks.

after a couple of yrs off doing other stuff. I am going to get boats wet again here soon. Any suggestion on what to wash-rinse walt's tanks out with before fueling them again? I didn't think far enough ahead when I put boats up on the shelves. Motors got oiled and shafts were greased but nothing with my tanks. John
Plain white vinegar (which is the cheapest type of vinegar) will work incredibly well to dissolve, clean-out and remove rust. Let it sit for several days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Foley I asked a question. I `m not looking for any rebuttal. If the nature of my question has offended or upset you in any way it was not my intent. I have been playing with toys since I was 9 years old or so..Have been making my own tanks since I was 13 or so..Mostly for Control line model aircraft..I`m relatively new to model boats. Its a shame alot of the skills (dark arts to some) seem to be lost.. Convenient plastic tanks are partly to blame!! There is a alot of satisfaction in doing nearly everything yourself :)..

Ian

Ian,

I have used Muriatic acid for many years to clean the inside of my tin steel metal tanks at the beginning of the boating season. I neutralize the acid with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) & water. Dry & spray with WD-40. The neutralized Muriatic acid solution is disposed of at a land fill chemical site.

Jim Allen

Back