Trick to keep castor in solution?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Went back to using some castor oil a few years back, love the results, no more burnt pistons!
default_smile.png

Problem is (if in fact it is a problem) it doesn't want to stay mixed and the fuel goes milky. Thought it was water at first but it doesn't run any different and if I let it sit it clears up with the castor floating on top. Funny, when I first mix it it's totally clear.

I remember someone mentioning an additive to keep it mixed, anyone?
default_rolleyes.gif

DSCN4866.JPG

DSCN4865.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a problem with Castor doing this. Always used Bakers AA , I believe. Last time I was mixing fuel I was getting the Castor from Art McMeans. No problems with that Castor, either. Any fuel with more than 65% nitro then it doesn't want to stay mixed. If you are going to mix high nitro fuel for record trials ( with any Castor ) mix it at the lake before you make a run. Saw a lot of controline speed guys do this back in the day using graduated cylinders.............mixing just enough for one run. You had to do it this way when you mixed Propylene Oxide in the fuel because it would evaporate quickly. I have heard that the Castor that SIG sells is Bakers but I don't know about the Castor that Klotz sells.

Dick Tyndall

Ive had the same problem Terry when mixing fuel over 40% nitro, i would love to know how you guys get it to stay in suspension????

I have added 2 oz of Sig Castor to my 60% fuel for many years and never had it turn milky.

I have used sig when mixing mine in yes past and never had the issue

I mixed it with alcy then added nitro

Blendzall makes an additive to help keep it from separating. Never tried it thoe. I have never had a problem with Blendzall separating, but it must be an issue with some mixes for them to make a product to combat it. Hope this helps.

Shake it up and run it immediately! Only thing I know to do.

BTW- That looks like a lot of castor Terry. 15%?

If you are using 65 -75% nitro, 8% castor would be plenty.

Must be the cold causing it to separate, they do mention it on the Blendzall site, thanks Ben. They say to use 2 oz of their "power booster" per gallon to prevent it, I'll give them a call and see if they'll tell what's in it, I hate running any "mystery" ingredients.

Still, I seem to remember an additive to keep it in solution, for some reason "banana oil" comes to mind?

Nope, running 12% total oil, 1/3rd of that (4%) Blendzall #460: http://www.blendzall.com/

I don't want this to turn into another oil debate but for me, and the way I run, it's working great.
default_smile.png

Nope, running 12% total oil, 1/3rd of that (4%) Blendzall #460: http://www.blendzall.com/

I don't want this to turn into another oil debate but for me, and the way I run, it's working great.
default_smile.png
Ok, I thought you might be running straight castor. 8 and 4 is a good mix in my opinion. And yes cold weather makes it separate easier.

A little heat will clear it up. Set in the sun light, no sun set the bottle or can inside your car and turn the heater on..it does not take much heat.. J.

A little heat will clear it up. Set in the sun light, no sun set the bottle or can inside your car and turn the heater on..it does not take much heat.. J.
"set the bottle or can inside your car and turn the heater on."

I did that the last time I set the 45 hydro SAW at Valdosta. Was a 35 degree morning.

The product is called Blendsall....

And yes, mix the castor with the alky first.

I think the problem is using metric measurement. It looks clear when measured in cups. Just saying.

JD
Dang! Didn't notice that! I'm mixing in ounces & cups from now on!
default_tongue.png

Mix both oils and the methonal first, mix them well and then add nitro. Works like a champ
I've been putting the oil in last but it mixes right in and the fuel's clear, will try that & see if it makes a difference when it gets cold.

Might be a altitude condition,is it in your coffee cup while working?
That's it, I got hypoxic fuel, I'll inject some O2 next batch and all will be well!
default_laugh.png

The product is called Blendsall....

And yes, mix the castor with the alky first.
Check that, thanks.
default_smile.png

Back