Glow plug torque specs?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beardslee

Supporting Member
Anyone done any studies on standard plugs with copper compression washers? I've had hand surgery on both hands and have to use a T-Nut driver and am so paranoid about stripping out a plug I frequently don't get them tight enough and they exit at the worst times. I have no problem with the turbo plugs.

Thanks John

I have never stripped a button from over tightening. Only when one is run loose and blows out.

So I would say you would really have to try and strip it. Dont know if that helps. Lol.

John,

I know the feeling of having a glow plug exit at the wrong time. Maybe a little trial and error would help.

I would tighten one down with your usual method that you know is tight and run it to make sure it doesn't come out.

Get the amount of torque by checking it with your torque wrench after you tighten it "by feel". I think this should help you to determine what torque you can repeat with the torque wrench.

If you have an old beat up head button, see how much torque it takes to strip one out.

I have always been nervous after losing one.

What torque wrench are you using?

Duke

John,

I would change to all turbo plugs. Just need a little tooling change.

Much better seal.

Glad the weather is getting warmer down in Sarasota John.

Connie sure enjoyed the weather last week.

Have fun in Georgia with Glenn and Donna.

Enjoy The Sun,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

I would change to all turbo plugs. Just need a little tooling change.

Much better seal.

Glad the weather is getting warmer down in Sarasota John.

Connie sure enjoyed the weather last week.

Have fun in Georgia with Glenn and Donna.

Enjoy The Sun,

Mark Sholund
Wish you could be here with us too Mark!!!

GQ

John the red handled T wrench is the way to go .grab it with the palm of your hand with fingers wrapped over the top so to speak and it gives a great feel ?Torque ? TIGHT ! Hate Turbo plugs , threads seem shallow and the sometimes come with bad threads from OD .

Thanks Tom, I use the yellow handle T-nut driver but the lack of feeling and sensitivity in my hands and fingers makes it a real guessing game, thus my question and this thread. The standard torque spec for a steel bolt 1/4-28 thread in aluminum is 57 in/lbs, that's with 3/8" thread engagement. Our plug only have about a 1/4" engagement on a 1/4-32 thread. I only have a in/oz torque wrench down here with me but am determined to get some work done on this, stay tuned.

Thanks John

Anyone done any studies on standard plugs with copper compression washers? I've had hand surgery on both hands and have to use a T-Nut driver and am so paranoid about stripping out a plug I frequently don't get them tight enough and they exit at the worst times. I have no problem with the turbo plugs.

Thanks John
Hi John- it just takes a bit of practice, my friend!

1f0cdf49dc9e41b13450b7547929db66eb3e30c6.jpg

Glenn & I did some testing at Blue Lake last week and so far the standard plugs are staying in with 36 in/llbs of torque in my 91's. That's the highest torque number my nut driver style torque wrench is capable of. We did double click it which probably bumped it up a tad. This was using new compression washers each time ( Thank you Jack & Steve O'Donnell)

John

I have stripped out some head buttons because I wasn't checking if the element wire extended too far out and was fouling the threads. Once in a while I find one I have to file a little off.

Back