Powerboat radiobox boots

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Recker Jr.

I have some accordian style radiobox seals. They seem a little snug and although they allow movement for the radio linkage, I'm wondering if I should load the entire boot up with Powerboat Marine grease or petrolium jelly to make the linkage slide effortlessly. I've heard radiobox boots harden if certain substances come in contact with them.

Some boots harden and some sofen with oils or greases.

Who is the manufacturor of the boots you have?

Some are stiffer than others.

Thick wall or thin?

Always check a new boot for holes before you use it as I have found holes in new ones ( bad molding issues )

Hi Jim

i have always found the best boots to use are the speed master boots, they are alot more expensive than other brands on the market but are well worth the money. These i leave dry.

steve

The linkage is actually not supposed to slide in the boot. You want the boot to just accordion in and out.

What he said. ^^^^

Vaseline is not a good thing to use in a boat. How do I know? I tried it. It will melt and make a big mess.

I agree with David but in other areas I use Silglide. Its a silicone grease. used to use it on old weather strips for my T-tops in an old car I had. I use it on pivots and on my throttle linkage to help seal up where i use a cable in a plastic housing with fuel line as the seal. keeps water out and everthing sliding smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good info. plumbers grease will work well for waterproofing rod or cable & tube linkages. waterproof & long lasting, look at lowes or home depot type stores. my favorite accordian style seal is the woods kits, they're awesome!

HI buy steve woods radio box boots never an issue yet . also hvae not used any grease in my boat other then greasing the prop shaft and even have a couple of oil shafts from steve woods on two of my riggers no complains here . hope this helps good luck oohh speed master very nice products to . adam larvenz

Back