A valuable lesson about Radios!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

I was always a car guy. My first radio was a Futaba FP-T 2F, basically a box with a wheel in the center and the throttle on the side. Sounds like a strange set up but at the time it was revolutionary. AM of course, so you needed extra crystals if you were going to race anywhere or chanced waiting forever to get your frequency clip. I always had to have the very latest and greatest, cost was never a concern because I justified, I was a racer not a basher and I needed to have the BEST!

Over the years I spent a small fortune on getting the newest tech in radios. FM came around, PCM, DSM modules and then ultimately DCM pure radios.

Fast forward 32 years when I met MIc Halbrehder and he walked into my hobby shop with a FlySky radio to race RC cars. Jay, his son was with him and had one as well. The snickering began immediately, as NOT ONE PERSON at my shop used one. Both Mic and Jay had FlySky's and they loved them, in fact they swore by them. I was able to talk Jay into a Airtronics M11 but Mic would not budge.

Currently I have 24 boats, each with its own receiver. I use Futaba because I have always had good luck with them. I did away with the high end car radio because in boating I used NONE of the features, so currently I use the 3PM-X

While racing with Mic I used one of his numerous FlySky radios. Never experienced so much as a hit. Today I took the plunge and purchased a FlySky with three receivers for $28 less than the cost of one Futaba Rx. I still LOVE Futaba but will give the Fly a chance and see how it works out. This is in no way an infomercial for their company but it is an option to a very good radio if cost is an issue in your racing regiment ........

2c0e6084d92bfa6f3c009c1c7bb2c369.jpg

Just keep your receiver voltages at 6.5 volts or less on Flysky's for best results! I've used them several years with good results. Not saying they're the best, just that I've had good results with them.

yup, im considering upgrade fer new boat (been using 3pk, fs receiver with 2 antennas), im curious if anyone has telemetry hooked up, audibly reports rpm/speed i think?

Being on the for front of this for a number of year.. (not so much anymore).. its not just performance you are paying for.. its other steps like part control, revisions control, testing and quality management, support and the like.

I to have seen those radios perform OK and truth is.. when it comes to RF its not rocket science to those in the know. (I worked with a RF engineer for a number of years).

We tested them all.....

If this was model boat racing and not RC model boat racing I would not put much stake in the winds, strings to guide the boat.. BUT.. Its RC (Radio Control) boat racing and in that simplest of words don't mind spending and supporting top line equipment.

in the end.. you have to manage your budget for what you feel works for you.

enjoy.

Grim

I perfer the stick radios ( Old school ) and did the 2.4 flysky conversion to 3 of the Sanwa radios and they work good. Was looking at buying a Futaba 4GXR but hear that if you use a cleaner on the case you wipe the graphics off ? Pretty bad for a $400 radio. So I will look at the $200 Tranis 9. Also a friend had some frequency issues at the Worlds with his Futaba 7C.

Brad

Personally Ii use Futaba and have never used anything else . I have 3 - 3PK's on 75 MGHZ , all my airplane radios are still on 72 MGHZ , no issues except when connections and batteries need attention . So I guess this makes my post worthless !!

Being on the for front of this for a number of year.. (not so much anymore).. its not just performance you are paying for.. its other steps like part control, revisions control, testing and quality management, support and the like.

I to have seen those radios perform OK and truth is.. when it comes to RF its not rocket science to those in the know. (I worked with a RF engineer for a number of years).

We tested them all.....

If this was model boat racing and not RC model boat racing I would not put much stake in the winds, strings to guide the boat.. BUT.. Its RC (Radio Control) boat racing and in that simplest of words don't mind spending and supporting top line equipment.

in the end.. you have to manage your budget for what you feel works for you.

enjoy.

Grim
Hi Grim,

I have always believed just what you wrote and will continue to, however I NEVER saw myself buying an inexpensive off brand radio or anything for that matter. Am I a snob? No, just want the best tools for the job. I never want to lose a race because of subpar equipment. We will see how this works out, but there is no way I am getting rid of my Futabas. I have a several of them and an entire herd of receivers.

Just keep your receiver voltages at 6.5 volts or less on Flysky's for best results! I've used them several years with good results. Not saying they're the best, just that I've had good results with them.
If your running electric boats, does it have a built in BEC where you don't have to worry about it?

If your running electric boats, does it have a built in BEC where you don't have to worry about it?
I don't think so Jeff. Their instruction manuals say not to use over 6.5v. I read several threads on the car forums where users say the same thing. I've used over 6.5 on them without a problem but when one did act up, I was able to resolve the issue by reducing the voltage. I think they're really designed with the thought that you will be using alkalines at 6v. Oddly enough, when they act up from over voltage it looks like a range problem.

I don't think so Jeff. Their instruction manuals say not to use over 6.5v. I read several threads on the car forums where users say the same thing. I've used over 6.5 on them without a problem but when one did act up, I was able to resolve the issue by reducing the voltage. I think they're really designed with the thought that you will be using alkalines at 6v. Oddly enough, when they act up from over voltage it looks like a range problem.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

And this is why we ask for opions and personal experience with products people have used!! We are all on here to voice our preferences not to cut anybody down, at least that is why I'm on here.

Brad

uh...gps doesnt work on wheel radio, so you can only have rpm with 4px?

skippin the upgrade til they work it out...plane guys have it good
default_smile.png

uh...gps doesnt work on wheel radio, so you can only have rpm with 4px?

skippin the upgrade til they work it out...plane guys have it good
default_smile.png
Have you seen the new Hitec Lynx 4S? It has the gps built in to the receiver. It's pretty slick...........

I'm no authority, being such a newbie, but I bought a Lynx, after having recurring problems with a Flysky. Now that I have the Lynx figured out I'm thrilled with it. The telemetry is great and if I can figure it all out, anyone can.

yep, lynx 4s looks amazing, thx for the tip
default_smile.png

waiting til futaba works it out, im hooked on the fs receiver, cuz CF cowls

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Futaba AM/FM radios for years in my nitro boats for years with almost no issues...also used a Hitech 2 stick radio for a sport 40 Hydro with no problems.....I started using 2.4 gig radios when I got into electric plane/helis about 7 years ago using Spectrum and Tactic radio systems...almost ZERO problems of any kind at a much lower price! I got back into racing R/C cars about a year and a half ago after a 25 year hiatus, and went dirt cheap on my radios, using a Flysky 3 ch that I paid 35.00 for with receiver......I now own 10 receivers that I paid between 12.00 to 15.00 for each....I race 3 to 4 different classes every other week on a paved oval, and the beating these cars take is BRUTAL! I have yet to replace a single thing related to the radio systems in my cars.....UNBELIEVABLE! Would I use one of these radios in a nitro boat? Not sure....but I do have a JAE .12 that I might take a chance on....if I ever run a nitro boat again.......I still am a big fan of Futaba radios.....but the cheap lil Flysky radios are AMAZING......especially for the price!!
default_smile.png
:)

Back