Club Trailer Insurance

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Cathey

Supporting Member
Our club has a 14' X 7' tandem axel trailer with a ramp in the back. We have our chase boats w/trolling motors and batteries/gang charger[tender}, scaffolding, buoys, electronics and generator. We are paying about $700 a year for replacement value on the trailer and the contents.

Just seeing if anyone else is getting hosed as much as we are. Looking for a better choice if anyone has some good info.

Thanks, Mike

I insured ours thru my car insurance. A little under a $100 a year for $12,000 replacement and $20,000 content. Liberty National

I insured ours thru my car insurance. A little under a $100 a year for $12,000 replacement and $20,000 content. Liberty National
Our club is a non-profit corporation and the trailer and equipment are owned by it. We originally did it because the guy whose name was on the title had a serious health issue and we didn't want the club's stuff tied up in probate if he passed away. he nearly did to. Luckily he made it. We also did it as an extra layer of protection for the members in case of any accidents.

Has anyone approached IMPBA as a sanctioned club to see if our current insurance carrier would consider adding club trailer coverage?
John I don't think that would be a good idea since the IMPBA has had members try to get accidents with their vehicle at a race site covered by IMPBA insurance. They backed into a light pole with their truck and thought IMPBA insurance should the damage! Another member slipped in his own trailer and again thought the IMPBA insurance should cover his medical costs. These are just a few of the claims I have seen and heard of as a board member.

Bill,

I was thinking from a club stand point not an individual, knowing full well that some individuals will abuse an opportunity to get money any way they can!

Thanks John

The rate here is for a commercial risk, which this is, has to do with the possibility of multiple people in charge of the risk. Just a fact of a commercial policy. A private party generally takes more diligent care of similar equipment as he owns it. Add the fact that your risk is on wheels and an easy target. $700 a year up for 10 years and you have $7000 to self insure. Buying insurance you are paying a 3rd party (the insurance carrier) to accept the risk.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back