Stres Cracks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Taylor

So I inherited a tunnel hull. The cowl has some pretty good stress cracks. :( What's the best way to fix them. :unsure: I was going to grind them out a little and fill with epoxy Is there a better method?

Thanks.

Good question, I have a Vegas with stress cracks. Have the same idea. Sand it down then fill with expoy.
I used to bild custom corvettes. We would V out the cracks then fill them with resin mixed with very fine cut up mat.

One deal ive done that seems to work pretty good on glass and wood boats(yep, wood boats get em too) is to carefully cut a V shape in the crack, then fill with slower set epoxy mixed with microballons or a better density filler(West Systems)....leave it a touch high, then block sand level...alot depends on how bad the cracks are and where they are at....and how nice you want it to come out!

One deal ive done that seems to work pretty good on glass and wood boats(yep, wood boats get em too) is to carefully cut a V shape in the crack, then fill with slower set epoxy mixed with microballons or a better density filler(West Systems)....leave it a touch high, then block sand level...alot depends on how bad the cracks are and where they are at....and how nice you want it to come out!
Never thought of micro ballons. Thanks Bill :D

Good question, I have a Vegas with stress cracks. Have the same idea. Sand it down then fill with expoy.
I used to bild custom corvettes. We would V out the cracks then fill them with resin mixed with very fine cut up mat.
Rick you forgot one thing! We was tought this in trade/vocational school and semmenars.. With fiberglass repair on VETTS.. when fixing stress cracks.. first you need to drill holes at the end of each stress cracks..you can use 1/8 and smaller drill bits.. by doing that you stop it from spreading any ferther/stop the cracks dead in there tracks..then grind a V bevel in the cracks..then you grind or sand the rest of ther area with 80 grit sand paper ,then like rick said use chop up glass cloth and resin.. then apply that into the cracks.. or you can use VETT BOND.. THAT STUFF IS THE BOOM!!!THINK THAT MADE BY SEM.. that mixes like bondo..THATS WHAT WE USED TO BOND FIBERGLASS PART TOGETHER..IF THERE ANY IMPERFECTIONS..THEN GET ICING MADE BY SEM.. MIXES LIKE BONDO BUT IT SPREADS LIKE CAKE ICING AND SANDS SUPER EASY... YOU CAN SAND THAT WITH 180 GRIT SAND PAPER WITHOUT CLOGGING THE SAND PAPER...ITS FOR AUTO&MARINE USE =water proof..Then prime it ..then sand to paint with 400 grit wet sand paper,then your good to go..

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick you forgot one thing! We was tought this in trade/vocational school and semmenars.. With fiberglass repair on VETTS.. when fixing stress cracks.. first you need to drill holes at the end of each stress cracks..you can use 1/8 and smaller drill bits.. by doing that you stop it from spreading any ferther/stop the cracks dead in there tracks..then grind a V bevel in the cracks..then you grind or sand the rest of ther area with 80 grit sand paper ,then like rick said use chop up glass cloth and resin.. then apply that into the cracks.. or you can use VETT BOND.. THAT STUFF IS THE BOOM!!!THINK THAT MADE BY SEM.. that mixes like bondo..THATS WHAT WE USED TO BOND FIBERGLASS PART TOGETHER..IF THERE ANY IMPERFECTIONS..THEN GET ICING MADE BY SEM.. MIXES LIKE BONDO BUT IT SPREADS LIKE CAKE ICING AND SANDS SUPER EASY... YOU CAN SAND THAT WITH 180 GRIT SAND PAPER WITHOUT CLOGGING THE SAND PAPER...ITS FOR AUTO&MARINE USE =water proof..Then prime it ..then sand to paint with 400 grit wet sand paper,then your good to go..
hi nessa, you would't by chance have a twin sister that is single? :D mike.

Your right Missy, I forgot about drilling holes.(****, another seniior moment) As far as Vett Bond and that other stuff, We didn't have that stuff back when I fixed cars. We used lead, Bondo and spot putty. Hell, the only filter we had when painting was the cigarette in our mouth. Now they use Moon Suits.

BINGO! Find the end of the crack and drill a hole there- The radius will keep the crack from spreading. Do not leave sharp corners anywhere- perfect spot for cracks to start. In 23+ years working on aircraft it is industry standard to stop drill cracks and make sure that EVERYTHING has a radius on it to keep cracks from starting. The MTO and Cal Craft hulls have sharp edges around the cowl openings. Show me one that has been run hard for one year that does not have cracks coming out of the sharp corners. If you're building a new hull inspect for sharp edges and use a Dremmel or similar tool to put a radius in any sharp corners.

hi nessa, you would't by chance have a twin sister that is single? :D mike.
Sorry I dont have a sister.. I'm the only child..Joe=hubby tought me alot of tricks in the world of autobody..He's got way over 28+ years in autobody Paint,repair and custom work...Yes we wanted to learn how to do lead work.. His old friend past away ,he was going to teach joe it..That a lost art..

Last edited by a moderator:
"Yes we wanted to learn how to do lead work.. His old friend past away ,he was going to teach joe it..That a lost art.."

leading a lost art. yes it is. 1st of all , could u imagine trying to lead one of 2days auto's?? warp city! 2nd , very hard 2 come by.. i still have lead in the shop, just cant find anything 2 use it on!!

re: stress cracks , there is not much strength to epoxy without filler or glass. it needs the filler or glass to "knit" and bond 2 4 strength.

Thanks for the great tip on drilling holes to stop the spread of stress crack. I have never thought about it.

I am trying to repair stress cracks in the gel coat of a polyester glass hull. I would prefer not having to paint it. Has anyone had any luck using the gel coat repair kit available at marine store and Walmart?

Thanks for the great tip on drilling holes to stop the spread of stress crack. I have never thought about it.

I am trying to repair stress cracks in the gel coat of a polyester glass hull. I would prefer not having to paint it. Has anyone had any luck using the gel coat repair kit available at marine store and Walmart?
No matter what, your going to have to repaint it!! Other wise those cracks will come back with vengents if its not repaired wright..

Your right Missy, I forgot about drilling holes.(****, another seniior moment) As far as Vett Bond and that other stuff, We didn't have that stuff back when I fixed cars. We used lead, Bondo and spot putty. Hell, the only filter we had when painting was the cigarette in our mouth. Now they use Moon Suits.

i hear ya rick, & the doctor walked into the exam room with a cigarette in his mouth. i still work as an auto tech (yeah right-i'm a mechanic), we can breath ex. fumes, carb & brake clean & lord knows what other noxious crap, but i have to walk outside to a DESIGNATED smoking area <_< :blink: ..........

works ok if color is correct fill, sand , buff . done

remember: epoxy to epoxy, polyester to polyester. they dont like each other!!

mask around crack. fill. cover with wax paper, tape down and let cure. sand , fine grit, buff

hello has anyone ever used MARINE-TEX TO REPAIR ARC BOAT ,, we used to use for small repairs on our race boat ,, it held great ,, hard as steel and even drillable/tapable,, i am asking because i have a small nick in my boat from my stupid homemade stand

Thank You ED

2011 to 2018 hello ?
Time warp!
default_smile.png

Back