Removing rattle can clear

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

So a while back I made the foolish mistake of using a rattle can clear on my 20 Vision tunnel to cover the graphics-

Obviously a poor move as the more exposure to fuel- the more garbage stuck to it - lesson learned. At this point Im trying to find a way to get it off- if the graphics get pooched it will suck, but the boat looks like crap right now, so - lets hear it.

Brake clean- really doesnt do it- nor does nail polish remover. If I have to sand it thats fine- but thats a last resort in my book right now- suggestions ???

Andy

Thanks Rrrick, I was really trying to avoid loosing everything and starting over if poss. I used a scotchbright pad and nail polish remover and It worked pretty well actually- Gonna see if I can polish some shine back in it now, the worst it really did was dull the shine some- but the vinyl was unharmed.

I`d agree with Georgia ScaleBoater Citristrip from Home Depot works well without harsh fumes and won`t melt plastic. It`s available in liquid or spray can , the spray can works well and is easy to use.

Brake Fluid > It will not hurt the finnish

Soak paper tow_les and lay out on boat let set 45 min very wet > rub > take your time > may require more than 3 times.

It Work's

Rick Reisinger

Andy,

I would try some of the environmentally friendly Citristrip from Home Depot,, and use a plastic putty speader to scrape the paint/clear off
I will double that... I've used Citristrip on REAL automotive paint as well, and it works great. Let it sit for 20-Minutes or so, and plastic scraper it off.

I've even let it sit overnight. I spray a little more on to wet it again, and then scrape away. Steel Wool works to get off the final bits... Then rinse with warm soapy water and you're ready to prep!

ECG73807_1_R.jpg

Andy,

I would try some of the environmentally friendly Citristrip from Home Depot,, and use a plastic putty speader to scrape the paint/clear off
I will double that... I've used Citristrip on REAL automotive paint as well, and it works great. Let it sit for 20-Minutes or so, and plastic scraper it off.

I've even let it sit overnight. I spray a little more on to wet it again, and then scrape away. Steel Wool works to get off the final bits... Then rinse with warm soapy water and you're ready to prep!

ECG73807_1_R.jpg
Yup and they make it in a brush on as well.
default_smile.png

Brake Fluid > It will not hurt the finnish

Soak paper tow_les and lay out on boat let set 45 min very wet > rub > take your time > may require more than 3 times.

Great for model cars , but does not touch Epoxy paints , tried a few times !

Good Luck on saving ya decals!

Had a similar problem of removing clear on a old model. Dawn power dissolver and a beat up medium scotchbrite pulled it off. Heated up the surface with a gun as i scrubbed with Dawn Power Dissolver. It got thru to the base color coat in a few places. Wet sanded with 2000 grit after I was done to bring it back more even and to get rid of the fingertip marks. Saved the original color,,but it was a PITA.

Would I do it again?? Nope.

Latest posts

Back