Clear coat question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Drake

Just finished my 3rd coat of aeromarine epoxy on my zipp kit rigger. ( brush on, let soak in and wipe off with a lint free rag). I sanded between first 2 coats of epoxy. Now I'm going to clear it with spray max 2k clear. Should I sand it down after the 3rd coat or can I clear it with out sanding the 3rd coat of epoxy?

Thanks Tony

It needs to be sanded with some 320 before spraying clear. It is a good idea to wet sand with 2500 after spraying clear and rub the boat out also. This hardens the clear and helps it cure better.

Yes, what david said. Sanding also will give a surface the clear can bite into. Otherwise the clear can chip, peel & start to come loose from the hull.

Hi Tony,

The other thing that many people forget is to change paper often!! Many seem to try to do the whole job with one piece. (sounds like potty training) Most times I use 100 grit open coat and never any finer as I've found spraying epoxy on to a 100 grit works well and is easy to cover and isn't prone to chipping or peeling. This time of the year my work loft above the garage can get to 140F and I hang the work up there as soon as it tacks off let it bake for a few days.

Thanks, John

Back