New build JAE 12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Nightingale

Just thought I'd post up some photos of my latest build - a JAE 12 with Novarossi power. This wasn't from a Zippkits kit, it was cut from plans. It's had it's first run but unfortunately met a bouy, only snapped the left side sponson tubes so is back together again and ready for another go next week. May change out the huge REX pipe for a car pipe, the weight difference is minimal so we'll see how it sits at speed.

Comments / suggestions welcome!

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

That's a really nice looking boat. Very creative way of using a slide carb in a boat. What model Novarossi engine are you running? If you wanted to change it to a rotary carb, Ron Shaw sells one that will fit that engine and has a 6.5mm bore. You may have to shorten your pipe length by trimming down the header if you are not getting the performance you expected. Thanks for sharing your build!

Brian

Thanks for the compliments, It's a SX12 that I picked up very cheaply, hadn't been run before I got it. I'll be cutting down the header in it yes, it's currently long enough to be for a .21 not a 12, seeing as the Rex pipe is for attaching through a very short manifold.

I believe it's the 75600 carb you mean? I may look at fitting one, the current arrangement does get in the way a bit whilst working on the flex collet but I'm worried about it then getting in the belt instead

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy,

See if you can find a SPP-12 Carbon Car Pipe on eBay.

It is one of the better car pipes to use with a .250” stinger

diameter insert in the end of the stinger. The Novarossi

.250” bore rotary carb is the way to go or look for the Nova

airplane 12 rotary carb with the needle valve in it already.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Yes that is the carb. The linkage actually will end up very close to the side of the tub and won't interfere with the belt at all. Especially if you use a ball link on the outside of the arm. This is a pic of how the belt clearance will be. This is not the Nova carb but I have ran that carb and the distance is the same as the one in my picture.

IMG_20180729_191559.jpgIMG_20180729_191521.jpg75600carb12engines_large.jpeg

Had a look at the SPP pipes, their site mentions muffling but doesn't give any indication towards sound levels. Unfortunately I need to adhere to a 80db limit so unsilenced pipes are a no go...

May well get the rotary carb ordered, will see if I can get one over here.

Mike I presume you mean the shearing edges on the tub and sponson bottoms? I see them featured on all the newer JAE plans I have but not this set, it's the original 12G.

If you have to keep it to 80db then you will likely have to use an onroad car pipe. Novarossi just came out with a 4 chamber onroad pipe that is supposed to be really quiet.

51625.png

I hope you didn't take that as a cut to your work you have done a beautiful job. Scratch built, that's great wish more people would give it a shot. Keep it up
Not at all Mike, just confused as to why it's on other plans but not this one. I'm about to build another for a buddy down the club so I'll make sure to include it on that one. We'll see how this one runs, If I end up having to make another set of sponsons and add a strip to the tub then that's no dramas at all.

I'll see how it runs on the Rex pipe, then possibly consider another should it not like it. The 51625 looks good but not sure how well it'd mount to the non ringed header

Your right it might not work, I just happened to see that new tuned pipe and thought I would throw it out there as another option. Make sure to set the head clearance to 0.006" or as close to that as you can get. It makes the engine less tempermental when using high nitro and gives you better performance.

I believe the shim in there (stock one) is .005 so the clearance should total .006, I'm not currently mixing fuel so using off the shelf, maximum available nitro percentage in the UK is 20. From what I've read Nova recommend .020 for this engine on 20/30% so we'll see how it likes it.

I'm intending on mixing fuel again soon as I'm building a scaled up Wild Thing for a beautiful Kali motor that I intend on running a higher oil content than available off the shelf, so may up the percentage for this motor

I didn't realize you were in the U.K. that changes things for sure. Sounds like you already knew all of that anyways. What brand of rudder and strut are you using? I like how you mounted the rudder to the side instead of the transom.

The strut is from Dave Marles, has now been cut down to match how the JAE strut looks, has lost some weight in the process. I've also drilled and tapped it so it's fixed straight and at the right height. Rudder is one of those cheap ebay jobs but with a bracket I made to bolt along the hull

20180731_110029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back