What engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry Pete, I don't know what your experience is with gas boats. I will assume you want to heat race it. If you don't mind putting some money into a top end motor ( depending on the class ), you can't go wrong with the Pioneer. It will not make a poor or inexperienced build into a rocket, but Peter ( my son ) and I have been modifying these Pioneer motors for about 5 years and selling them for about 3, under the banner SRI Motorsports. We have a lot of very happy customers in Europe and North America.

We can and have built Pioneers from < 27ccs. to 30.5ccs. for everything from 36" Sprint cats ( 100+ MPH SAW ) to 60+" offshore ocean racers ( Burmuda, Florida ). These are NOT finicky, high strung, touchy, PITAs. They start very easily, launch quickly, and pull to whatever you prop them to. Turn-around time on our work is not fast ( we are in Canada ), but you get back an entirely different animal.

For more info you can check out the thread " Modified Quick Draws " on the Manufacturer's for sale forum on JRCBD, and I have a few pics in the Member's Gallery here.

If you want to start with a Zenoah based engine, there are lots of modifiers all over the States. Two of the finest builders you will ever find are Matthew ( M&D Racing Engines ) and Carlo ( CC Racing Engines ).

Last edited by a moderator:
PETE! Get a hold of Lamar Huff In ATL. Good, Powerful, Reliable and Priced Right.

I'm sorry Pete, I don't know what your experience is with gas boats. I will assume you want to heat race it. If you don't mind putting some money into a top end motor ( depending on the class ), you can't go wrong with the QD Pioneer. It will not make a poor or inexperienced build into a rocket. Peter ( my son ) and I have been modifying these Pioneer motors for about 5 years and selling them for about 3, under the banner SRI Motorsports. We have a lot of very happy customers in Europe and North America.

We can and have built Pioneers from < 27ccs. to 30.5ccs. for everything from 36" Sprint cats ( 100+ MPH SAW ) to 60+" offshore ocean racers ( Burmuda, Florida ). These are NOT finicky, high strung, touchy, PITAs. They start very easily, launch quickly, and pull to whatever you prop them to. Turn-around time on our work is not fast ( we are in Canada ), but you get back an entirely different animal.

For more info you can check out the thread " Modified Quick Draws " on the Manufacturer's for sale forum on JRCBD, and I have a few pics in the Member's Gallery here.

If you want to start with a Zenoah based engine, there are lots of modifiers all over the States. Two of the finest builders you will ever find are Matthew ( M&D Racing Engines ) and Carlo ( CC Racing Engines ).
Dennis, you have P/M.

I'm sorry Pete, I don't know what your experience is with gas boats. I will assume you want to heat race it. If you don't mind putting some money into a top end motor ( depending on the class ), you can't go wrong with the QD Pioneer. It will not make a poor or inexperienced build into a rocket. Peter ( my son ) and I have been modifying these Pioneer motors for about 5 years and selling them for about 3, under the banner SRI Motorsports. We have a lot of very happy customers in Europe and North America.

Dennis, have you ever sent one of your mod pioneers to quickdraw for a dyno test? Curious to see a dynograph and how it compares to a stock Qd.

Hi Scott. Thanks for your interest.

No we have not. We like the "on water dyno" LOL.

Thanks Dennis. I'm a proponent of "on the water" test over dyno myself. However, it would be interesting to see a side by side dynograph taken from the same dyno. From what you're claiming, the difference should be pretty significant and knowing the constant r&d Quickdraw puts into their engine program, one would think they had figured that out. I have a few stock Qd's that are simply awesome engines but if you can turn them into "entirely different animals", you have my attention. I'd just like to see some proof by comparison. I'll check out your thread on Jim's.

Pete,

I really like my CMB 27. You have seen it run.

Stu
Stu, I've seen video of your CMB running in a rigger. While it does look really good, I'm just wondering if it has the torque needed to push a gas scale or mono in the same way. Any thoughts on this?

I understand completely Scott, and I agree that the stock Pioneers are great motors.

Enjoy your Pioneers.

Pete,

I really like my CMB 27. You have seen it run.

Stu
Stu, I've seen video of your CMB running in a rigger. While it does look really good, I'm just wondering if it has the torque needed to push a gas scale or mono in the same way. Any thoughts on this?
Mark,

I have one in a 47" Calcraft. I really like the performance. I don't think anyone has put into a gas scale yet, so I can't tell you about that.

Stu

From what I've heard(rumor control, so we know how reliable that can be), someone is putting one in a scale in Washington State this winter.

Can you post a video of you Calcraft running? Would love to see what it can do

Quickdraw does extensive dyno testing. When they were developing engines for us they discovered things like the difference the hone pattern made on power. I doubt you can see that with any other method.

Lohring Miller

From what I've heard(rumor control, so we know how reliable that can be), someone is putting one in a scale in Washington State this winter.

Can you post a video of you Calcraft running? Would love to see what it can do
Mark,

I don't have a video. Brad Maglinger posted one probably 1 1/2 years ago here on IW when I first started running it.

Stu

Back